Logos - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Question Logos

I just had the name put on the front and back of the trlr.
It is now ready for the RedMax but the wind and weather are against me.
The sign shop said that they can make the logos for the front window guard and the door [silver] and the small sign for the front corner.
Is it legal to duplicate logos from ones found on the internet?
Or should I not ask?
[It is sometimes easier to get forgiveness than permission]
Is there a source for a bigger image than those found on google that will not distort when it is enlarged?
Is there already a mail order source for the logos?
Thanks in advance.
Scouter Dave

Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
When I was pursuing SuperGraphic decals from UHaul, I worked with their public relations department. They had no problem with me duplicating UHaul generated artwork, even supplying me with a digital file with their logo inserted.

I'm sure that if I was in competition to them as opposed to publicizing for them free, they would feel differently.

That said, I would not ask.

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
You need the graphic in a "scalable vector graphic" format. Most web images are not this format but can be converted using software. Some print shops offer this service, but some are kind of touchy about logos or anything that seems "professional" Office Max comes to mind.

SVG stores the information of an image as a mathmatical description of line length, points on x and y axis and arc of a curve, plus some other geometric stuff. Thus an increase in size can be very proportional. Your just plugging higher numbers into the formula that describes the shapes. Much as if you had defined a point that was the center of a circle and plugged in an increased diameter to the formula for the circle the circle would get bigger evenly.

JPEG and Gif images store the number and color of "dots" and then change that as the image changes. Harder to increase those number of dots evenly in all directions.

Photoshop might allow you to increase image size and maintain proportions but not sure if it can export in the format a print shop would work with directly.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote