Long-lasting fiberglass caulk? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Josh, Chances are your problem is clogged weep holes or slots. About 99% of the time that is the cause of water infiltration when sliding windows are present.
Years ago travel trailer windows were almost always of the Crank out awning style that allowed plenty of ventilation while resisting rain infiltration.
Sliding windows always seem to be a problem as the weep holes are constantly filling with debris. Keep them clean and your problem may be solved.

Window removal and re installation is a two or three person job...do not try it alone.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

Window removal and re installation is a two or three person job...do not try it alone.
They are? I've done it alone. Both the door window and the bathroom window. Didn't find it difficult with some planning and duct tape on the outside to hold the window after I removed the clamp ring on the inside. Actually the old butyl held the window against the exterior until I cut the butyl away.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Alone works best for small windows. Larger windows because of size and weight are best done with a helper..one in...one out. Better safe than sorry ....a broken window due to it falling will ruin your day and cost plenty.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #24

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Window leak advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Alone works best for small windows. Larger windows because of size and weight are best done with a helper..one in...one out. Better safe than sorry ....a broken window due to it falling will ruin your day and cost plenty.
Thanks Patrick and Donna,

Yes, I'm hoping cleaning out the weep holes solved the problem. Not quite ready to turn the hose on the window area, but may have to resort to that, since we don't get much rain in AZ.

I thought about attempting a complete window rebuild myself and got all psyched watching various U-tube guides. My wife chimed in with a reality check. I agree with Patrick; I wish this were a smaller window to test my prowess. However it's one of the largest in the Bigfoot, and double pane, which could make it a bigger pain.

Have either of you had experience with creaky floors? Don't mind it myself but Sonya is very sensitive to noises like that.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote