Long term stay on RV pad; anything I should do differently? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #1

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Long term stay on RV pad; anything I should do differently?

I am set up on an RV pad for several months. Right now, I'm running the gray waste water line full time (valve open to the drain), since I do dishes, shower, etc. I will have to switch over to the black water waste from time to time.

Is there a way to drain both at the same time, so I don't have to switch back and forth?

Is there anything else I should do differently for a long term setup? I tried to level the trailer as best as I could.

So far, everything is going well. Just thought I'd get input if you have it...
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
What you have now as RV?
You are in the category "Currently shopping" ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #3

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Thanks! I updated the information on my profile.
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Use a Y splitter and two hoses. OR just move the one hose back and forth as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Y-Splitter.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
On our Casita 17SD both tanks drain from one single outlet. The gray water comes from the right & the black water comes from the left, & each has a slide valve to control release. I just hook a hose to the outlet, connect it to the sewer drain, & use whichever valve I need to drain that tank...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1030 - Copy.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It's best to let your black tank to get reasonably full before draining it. Giving the "solid" material a chance to break down and become liquefied. Less chance of a clog this way.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
On our Casita 17SD both tanks drain from one single outlet.
Rebecca has a Scamp. Unfortunately there are two separate dump valves separated on each side of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Valves.JPG  
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rebecca has a Scamp. Unfortunately there are two separate dump valves separated on each side of the tire.
Is that still true on new ones? That would be a major deterrent to me. Far too inconvenient.
So far I've modified three older FG trailers to a shared black/grey outlet port. I sure wouldn't expect to need that mod on a new one. And with the two outlets on opposite sides of the axle it might be a major challenge.
Glad you mentioned that Donna. I hadn't noticed that before. I get a lot of requests for advice on FG trailers and that's a feature I should include.

Walt
Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The best way to manage your waste tanks and to prevent clogs caused by solids in your black water (toilet) tank is to use proper RV toilet tank chemicals to aid in the breakdown of solids and to allow the tank to fill with plenty of water before dumping. Since you are on a full hookup site you also might load that tank with water and dump it to flush your system clean.

If you have a single two tank exit port then always dump the toilet tank first then close off the toilet tank dump valve and open sink tank (grey water tank) as that liquid will rinse out the black water residue.
Never let solid mater collect in the toilet tank without plenty of water or a major clog will develop.

Clean area and hoses with a bleach/water mix to disinfect .
Wear protective rubber gloves when dumping.

Hopefully I did not miss anything.

Happy Camping
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca3 View Post
I am set up on an RV pad for several months. Right now, I'm running the gray waste water line full time (valve open to the drain), since I do dishes, shower, etc. I will have to switch over to the black water waste from time to time.

Is there a way to drain both at the same time, so I don't have to switch back and forth?

Is there anything else I should do differently for a long term setup? I tried to level the trailer as best as I could.

So far, everything is going well. Just thought I'd get input if you have it...
For such situations, I got a cap for the grey water drain which has a smaller nipple that fits a garden hose. And, the elbow that goes to the sewer connection has a similar connector. You need a length of hose with a female connector on both ends. Easy to make up with repair ends from the hardware store.
Now, the grey water slide valve can stay open. But, as others have said, keep the black water valve closed until tank is full.
You may want to relieve the weight on your tires by use of the hitch jack and rear stabilizers. raise the Scamp an inch or two. But keep the tires on the pad.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Is that still true on new ones? That would be a major deterrent to me. Far too inconvenient.
Yes, it's true for old Scamps and brand new Scamps. It is inconvenient, but since the black water tank only needs to be emptied about once a week and it's a five minute job.... I wouldn't make this a major reason to not buy a Scamp.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, it's true for old Scamps and brand new Scamps. It is inconvenient, but since the black water tank only needs to be emptied about once a week and it's a five minute job.... I wouldn't make this a major reason to not buy a Scamp.
For long stays in one place with a sewer hookup I might agree, but in eight years of camping I've yet to stay on one site for a full week.
And most places I camp do not have a sewer hookup so my dumps are at a dump site, far too inconvenient with separate hookups several feet apart.
Like a lot of things, it depends on your camping style.

Walt
Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #13

Walt, it still isn't a big deal. If moving the hose several times a day was necessary... then yeah... it would be a big deal. But you don't, so it's not. Casitas have everything plumbed to one valve, but all that plumbing hangs down really low. I've read enough over the years to know replacing that plumbing is a much bigger deal than moving a hose. Do Scamp owners wish there was one valve, well sure. I've seen several owners try it and none have worked real well.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

SW Virginia
Donna
Good discussion. I hope others don't feel it is too far off topic. On Casitas I would only consider one with a high lift axle, and I've converted one to that mode. Same with my Bigfoot. Then the plumbing is not that low and I've not actually heard of anyone damaging it. I imagine it has happened, but apparently not that common.
And I guess we can agree to disagree on the imperative of the single waste port configuration. Not something I will ever do without again.

Walt
Old 05-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
For long stays in one place with a sewer hookup I might agree, but in eight years of camping I've yet to stay on one site for a full week.
And most places I camp do not have a sewer hookup so my dumps are at a dump site, far too inconvenient with separate hookups several feet apart.
Like a lot of things, it depends on your camping style.

Walt

Having an SOB trailer with a single dump connection as well as not often camping at places that have a dump station right at the camping spot, I understand where you are coming from but I personally do not find having the two connection points on the Scamp to be overly inconvenient.

If you park the Scamp at the waste station correctly you hook the hose to the black tank first and dump then move the hose over a few feet to the grey tank connection - perhaps about 20 to 30 seconds of extra time needed to dump vs doing so with a trailer with a single combo outlet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #16

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
The problem with sewer drains (blackwater) modifications is the basic "law" of 1/4 inch pitch (slope) for 1 foot of horizontal run "MUST" be followed to function properly. When leveling the RV for long term locations this must be considered for the blackwater to drain properly and not result in a possible obstruction. The reasoning behind all this is to assure the liquid in the system doesn't run faster than the solids, leaving the solids to form a possible obstruction. Any modification to the blackwater system must plan these calculations into the design. Because the argument with gravity will always show that gravity wins everytime.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfixer View Post
The problem with sewer drains (blackwater) modifications is the basic "law" of 1/4 inch pitch (slope) for 1 foot of horizontal run "MUST" be followed to function properly. When leveling the RV for long term locations this must be considered for the blackwater to drain properly and not result in a possible obstruction. The reasoning behind all this is to assure the liquid in the system doesn't run faster than the solids, leaving the solids to form a possible obstruction. Any modification to the blackwater system must plan these calculations into the design. Because the argument with gravity will always show that gravity wins everytime.
You set these issues with the "SewerSolution".
Amazon.com: Sewer Solution: Sports & Outdoors

This is what I currently use and I am satisfied.
We can leave the valve open for gray water and when it is time to empty the black water, nothing blocks and it's clean.

I have a set of "Slinky" I bought at the same time as the trailer, which I never used, it is in its tube in the trailer, I do follow in case ...

Before purchasing our Bigfoot with toilet, a member of the Quebec Bolerama had spoken of the benefits of "SewerSolution" and I have no regrets, especially when I see my camping neighbors walking around with their 3-inch pipe dripping everywhere.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The way you can have a constantly draining black water tank is by using a macerating toilet. That basically gets rid of the solids piling up and creating clogs problem. It is also best done with a toilet that flushes with the same volume of water as a household toilet for the poop flushes.

Where there is a will there is a way but in this case unfortunately it does involve a new plumbing setup and extra expense.

At least now you know it can be done and how to do it.

It can be plumbed to a remote tank through a garden hose line. It also does not have to be right on top of a waste tank which is an advantage for those who want to put in a a bathroom but never had one installed. Or those who want to remodel and move the location of the toilet but not the tank.
http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ...40-rv-toilets/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #19

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
So far I've modified three older FG trailers to a shared black/grey outlet port. I sure wouldn't expect to need that mod on a new one. And with the two outlets on opposite sides of the axle it might be a major challenge.
Glad you mentioned that Donna. I hadn't noticed that before. I get a lot of requests for advice on FG trailers and that's a feature I should include.

Walt
Yes, this is still true. I have a 2016 and it is just like this.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Our 16' Scamp has the two outlet system (same as the newer ones) and I think that is a decent solution based on the low height of our outlets. I know Casitas have both outlets drain into one, but the reduced slope inherent with that design makes it seem like it takes forever for Casitas to dump at the dump station.
Whenever we are at a full hookup site for several days we only have to move our hose from the grey to the black outlet once every few days. We try to have our grey tank fairly full too, so we can flush the hose out with grey water after draining the black tank.
We find that at dump stations, we only need to pull up with our Scamp tire abeam the dump port and the hose reaches from either outlet. Both tanks drain quickly and the switchover takes less than 30 seconds.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote