Looking for an Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
I bought an older 17 foot Bigfoot 17c-the awning was a rotten mess so I pulled it off and the casing-- caulked the holes and plugged them. I would love to have an awning on this trrailer-any ideas???? I don't want to spend the earth on it but a little awning that would be easy to installwould be great . It also worries me drilling a new awning into old fiberglass-any tips-many thanks R.
ROIDON L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...a few years ago we had Reace (Escape Trailers) out in The 'Wack, supply an install an 8ft. BAG awning on the side of our 13ft Trillium. Drill more holes in old fiberglass?? Doesn't seem to be a big deal here. We chose the bag awning as opposed to the 'box' awning because it provided a little more protection, helping keep from cascading down the side of the trailer, making for a drier 'outside sit' once the 's have passed, LOL!!!

...... something that prolly ISN'T gunna happen up here any time soon!!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I bought an older 17 foot Bigfoot 17c-the awning was a rotten mess so I pulled it off and the casing-- caulked the holes and plugged them. I would love to have an awning on this trrailer-any ideas???? I don't want to spend the earth on it but a little awning that would be easy to installwould be great . It also worries me drilling a new awning into old fiberglass-any tips-many thanks R.
Look at this thread on this forum:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=37693&hl=

First post. Bryan bought it, he says at Dicks Sporting Goods, Tailgate Gear and it is one I would get if my Casita had no awning, which I almost never use anyway. The first time I put my roll out, rigid awning out I left it out during a nap and when a fast thunderstorm came up I thought I was going airborne and barely retracted the cursed awning in time in the pouring rain. The above selection seems a viable alternative-maybe even an improvement since it has a wall, too
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Our Bigfoot has the A&E Sytems 8500 which is an open roll awning that is attached to an awning rail with dozens of fasteners. There are also 2 rafter arms attached low on the side of the trailer. The attachment sites are reinforced with some kind of blocking. This type prevents water from falling between the trailer and the awning, but is neither lightweight nor aerodynamic. Not cheap either! I believe ours was a factory installation. Camping World carries these awnings, but I'm not sure it would fit an older 17 footer. You would have to find out.

Attaching the awning rail to fiberglass should be OK as long as you have some kind of blocking at the attachment points and I would think you could use the site where the old awning was attached. The bag awning sounds like a reasonable alternative, but I have no experience with one.
Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg  
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I bought a 10x10 dining canopy from Dicks but they no longer carry it. I did see the same canopy in Sears the other day for $39.95. The canopy has four legs and the top is supported by two long foldable fiberglass rods. My trailer also had an awning that had been removed. I installed two eye bolts in the old awning attachment holes 10' apart. I would tie two corners of the canopy to the trailer and use only two legs of the canopy and stake those two corners down.
The canopy was very light and stored in a 4"X4"X36" bag. Takes only a few minutes to set up and take down. For a canopy under $50 it can't be beat.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
I bought a 10x10 dining canopy from Dicks but they no longer carry it. I did see the same canopy in Sears the other day for $39.95. The canopy has four legs and the top is supported by two long foldable fiberglass rods. My trailer also had an awning that had been removed. I installed two eye bolts in the old awning attachment holes 10' apart. I would tie two corners of the canopy to the trailer and use only two legs of the canopy and stake those two corners down.
The canopy was very light and stored in a 4"X4"X36" bag. Takes only a few minutes to set up and take down. For a canopy under $50 it can't be beat.
Eddie
You sir are a genius-others had some great ideas, but you win the prize. This sounds like the easiest and the least expensive and I am going to give it a try. They sure grow"em smart in Virginia. Many thanks. R
ROIDON L is offline   Reply With Quote