Looking for electrical help 72 Compact junior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Looking for electrical help 72 Compact junior

With no covered shop to work in I have been waiting for the nice warm weather to add insulation. Prior to that I want to make sure my wiring or potential wiring is in place. I have no converter. There appears to be one 110 AC circuit with one breaker box: this runs two outlets and two incandesencent bulbs. The 12 volt appears to be all one circuit which operates two interior lights, one over the sink and one over the dinette by the ice box. The water pump is 12 volt but we have rarely used the on board water tank. Group 24 Deep cycle battery on the tongue.
I am wanting to add a powered fan(Maxxair Deluxe) and possible more reading lights. Should I continue with the separated system, one for for 110 and one for 12 volt or should I consider adding a converter so that fixtures are available regardless of power source availalbe: battery or shore power.

Any thing else I should consider ?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb I like converters and LED lights

If it were me, I'd get rid of the 110 volt incandescent lights and keep the 2 outlets. Then I'd install a converter with a smart charger. I just put a Progressive Dynamics PD9130 with the Charge Wizard attachment that I bought off Ebay in my Fiber Stream. The 9200 series has the charge wizard built in.

I'd connect all lighting, the water pump, and Maxxair Fan to run off 12 volts DC. I'd also use LED bulbs for the lights; I like Revolution 1141-150 LED - Star Lights, Inc.. I got mine locally for $17.99
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Your electrical system sounds like the one in my sister's Compact Jr. She kept the two separated systems, and we put LED bulbs in the 12V fixtures so her battery would last longer.

For reading lights she just put up a bunch of those self-contained LED "tap" fixtures.

But if you're going to add a big roof fan, you're going to need a more sophisticated system. I don't know as I'd ditch the 110V lights, as Frederick suggested, but I do think you're going to need to add a converter so that you can run 12V stuff off shore power.

However, now that I think about it a bit more, you might want to reconsider the fan. When you pop the top on a Compact, you're lifting the top all by yourself, no helper springs, no air cylinders, just your arm strength. Adding a fan might be a bit much to lift. Also, my sister's Compact had a warped roof; when it was time to try to get the vent to seal, I had to add some bows inside to push the roof up into a nice shape before I could count on getting a good seal. A couple of us here on the forum have added reinforcements to the roof; one fellow fiberglassed in aluminum tubes, I think, and I bent up some bows out of conduit and bolted them in. It's not impossible, mind you, but it's a bit more work than "cut a hole and bolt the fan into place".
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical