Looking for Help Moving my New Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #15

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2001 Scamp
California
Funny thing, I didn't notice Mark's post from last night untill just now. I was literally filling out the Uship form and had a moment of panic and exited the site. It's nerve racking to think of someone else man-handling my little trailer! Nice to have the input from folks who have used them and feel comfortable recommending them. I will go back and fill out the form again. Thank you-Thank you.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Judy, try www.uship.com. You can post the address for pick up and the address for delivery and companies will bid on the hauling job. I have customers that use it all of the time. Actually I have a lady in Santa Cruz Claifornia that is having a camper hauled from my location in Kentucky to her in Santa Cruz by a company she hired fron u-ship.com. You will get several bids and all bidders have user ratings from past customers. That way you can feel comfortable with who ever you hire and also get refrences. Good luck with the Scamp, it looked like a nice one.
That's great information! Do you have any idea what she is being charged? How big is the trailer she is shipping?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
That's great information! Do you have any idea what she is being charged? How big is the trailer she is shipping?

I am not sure of the price, but the camper is 27' long, so I am not sure that her price would compare.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #18

California
Question-I signed up for the Uship. I was hoping to get the trailer brought out in a closed or flatbed trailer. Would anyone trust someone from this site to pull a trailer across the country? The dealer said the trailer was in towable shape. The previous owners have been using it...thoughts?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #19

Registry
The dealer that has the camper is capable of making sure the trailer is towable. You will have a hard time finding a carrier to load that camper in an enclosed trailer. Possably on a flat bed, but I would just have them tow it on its wheels. As far as the trust issue, just make sure that your chosen carrier carries insurance and has a few references. Most transport companies on U-ship are professional companies and do this type of thing for a living. They don't want to have any incidents with your camper any more than you do. When you get bids, you can ask the transporter any and all questions you may have prior to agreeing on their price. I am sure that you will find a reputable carrier and everything will be just fine.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #20

California
I did get a quote for a flatbed haul, was quite pricey. I will sign up again asking for towing and see what I get. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #21

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
I did get a quote for a flatbed haul, was quite pricey. I will sign up again asking for towing and see what I get. Thanks for the encouragement!

That quote will be more expensive due to the carrier having to use 2 pieces of equipment to haul your trailer instead of just a truck. You will have better luck with bid prices just towing it as it sits and not having it hauled on another trailer.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Give it some time Judy, some of these outfits are on the road and not always able to find the time or have the information to make a bid.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #23

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
That camper of yours is not more than 10 miles from me. I am not about to tow in the winter though. The guy that bought my 1st Scamp came from California to haul it home. But that was in the spring. It is still very much winter here. My son had a Mustang shipped from Florida a number of years ago. It was hauled on a flat bed in back of a truck.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #24

California
Actually I do get that it is still "winter" in MN. Which is one reason we haven't jumped in the car and headed out to pick up the trailer. Even though I am very anxious and excited to get my Scamp home...(and jealous that you are soooo close) I have all the time in the world to get the trailer to Ca. So, here I will patiently wait.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #25

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
We tow trailers all the time in winter in Minnesota. I can't say about getting through the montains if you go west though.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #26

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Congrats on the trailer! You know, there's always the possibility that you could hook up with somebody who bought a trailer out West and needs it hauled out East....work out a deal. But I agree--Uship is the way to go. I had somebody buy heavy equipment from me, and that's how they found their hauler...who was awesome.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #27

California
Thank you! We are looking forward to Scamping!!

I have had a number of responses from Uship folks. One this morning looks promising. I guess at some point you go with your gut about someone. Question to all who are listening...do you ask for a copy of the drivers insurance?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #28

California
Found someone! He is picking it up tomorrow.....here in Ca. on the 19th. Yeah!!! Crossed fingers!!

Tags
scamp