Looking for interlocking rubber flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Looking for interlocking rubber flooring

Someone on here once recommended using those square foam mats that interlock for walls and flooring in their trailer

I was wondering if it worked out and even more importantly where you found them ... I’m thinking of using them on the floor of my little joe

Obviously they can be ordered online( what can’t) but I’m a little old school and want to check them out in person for color/thickness etc

So if you tried them let me know how they worked out
And also where you bought them if you wouldn’t mind

Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I got a bunch of the foam tiles (if that is what you mean) for next to no cost at Big Lots, a regional discount store, and put them in my Scamp over the vinyl floor. They were nice.. added insulation and padding. But they also trapped moisture and any spills ended up between the foam tiles and the vinyl floor. So I had to remove the tiles to clean it up or it would get nasty. In sum, I liked them but it did not work, and I removed them only two months later. I wont do it again. YMMV
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We used them on the floor in our Trillium 4500 and are going to put them in our Boler 17. Helps keep the floor warmer and you can pull them up to dry (and dry the floor) if you haven't found all the leaks yet. Sand will go between the tiles to the floor below. I bought them both times at Costco. We put throw rugs on top of the interlocking tiles so that we can shake alot of the dirt & sand off.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We ordered ours from Amazon. We got the 1/2 thick wood colored ones. They have to be removed to clean under them but we like the insulation and soft under feet.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Harbor Freight sells it in basic black. Be sure to take a coupon or two with you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Lowes, Home Depot.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
alan

You can buy them at Lowes, Home Depot and they are called interlocking Vinyl Flooring. There are many places in Canada where we can buy this stuff now as it has been around around for 10 years.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Years ago we purchased the commercial grade thick rubber interlocking flooring that you would find on a work out gym floor. They were 1/2" thick and heavy. They were for our business, customer walk in area. When put in place you could never see the seams where they interlocked. Rain, snow, sand whatever was brought in never got under them. My club I belonged to purchase the cheap ones from a big box store, forget it, they get everything under them including rain, real "PITA". They tend to separate from the seams too easily because they are thin. I would think twice before going that route.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
If you want something tougher than the foam, I'd check at the farm store for stall mats for an alternative. It won't be as soft, but much sturdier. Not sure if they'll have the interlocking design, but surely have 4'x4' pieces you could cut to fit.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Years ago we purchased the commercial grade thick rubber interlocking flooring that you would find on a work out gym floor. They were 1/2" thick and heavy. They were for our business, customer walk in area. When put in place you could never see the seams where they interlocked. Rain, snow, sand whatever was brought in never got under them. My club I belonged to purchase the cheap ones from a big box store, forget it, they get everything under them including rain, real "PITA". They tend to separate from the seams too easily because they are thin. I would think twice before going that route.
Just my 2 cents worth.
We have used the Vinyl flooring in MH's, kitchen, all over, they lock up and we never got any crap under them, you should go and look at them and if you have to buy a box and click them together yourself, I like them, they never caused us any grief. We bought them a 12"X18" and the other was 6"X48" all click in and never a problem. New MH looks great with them in even though you see the joins, well just have to wait. The big problem with this unit is the flooring as things on it that looke like it is covered in spils or rocks on it but it is the flooring that makes it look that way. Hard to see if rocks, Pebbles etc or even dirt is on the floor as the floor is a dirty brown color.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Just measured the thickness of these mats. They are 3/8" not 1/2". Also included a couple of pix to show the seam area. There are in my shed where I park my riding mower on. I separated the seam so as to see it better, but when the are placed correctly the seam will disappear. The squares are 2' square.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6622.jpg   DSCF6621.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you don't want to buy real rubber interlocking flooring. It will be rather smelly like new rubber tires are and trailers are much too small of a space, it would drive you out the door. Vinyl or EVA foam is a much better choice.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I got a bunch of the foam tiles (if that is what you mean) for next to no cost at Big Lots, a regional discount store, and put them in my Scamp over the vinyl floor. They were nice.. added insulation and padding. But they also trapped moisture and any spills ended up between the foam tiles and the vinyl floor. So I had to remove the tiles to clean it up or it would get nasty. In sum, I liked them but it did not work, and I removed them only two months later. I wont do it again. YMMV
I purchased the same from Home Depot that had wood grain on one side and a stone look on the other, for our Alaska trip last spring/summer. We had the same results of good comfort for insulation and padding, but in addition to trapping moisture under neath, mold started to form eventhough we removed them twice on the trip to clean and dry them. The finish also started to peal off because we wore our shoes on it. We are now trying the thick interlocking rubber mats used in commercial kitchens that have nickel size holes in them, and I covered them with the woven vinyl material used by many campers under their awnings. So far I really like the results because the mat is easily removed to vacuum the floor under the tiles through those nickel size holes and it is always dry under there. I did have to let the tiles “out gass” for a couple of weeks to get rid of the rubber smell (I even washed them a couple of times prior to installing them, in order to help get rid of the smell. The floor does not feel quite as cushy as the Home Depot interlocking squares, but it does keep our feet warm.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Moisture getting underneath will be an issue with any puzzle flooring because of all those joints. There are positive and negative aspects to most decisions for what one does with a travel trailer in the way of interior finishes. No perfect solutions that will suit all exist.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote