Looking for Tent with Insect Screen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Looking for Tent with Insect Screen

We spent 10 weeks in Montana this past summer and plan to extend that to 12 weeks in 2016. Our 17' Independence Casita has been all that we could hope for except for the anticipated lack of living space. Our plan all along was to spend days outdoors and use the trailer for sleeping and restroom, so we understand this.

In general the trailer has worked well, but we do look forward to relaxing following each day of exploring/hiking and by mid-July Horseflies and Yellowjackets are a problem. I know Yellowjackets come and go across different years so they many not be a problem this year, but the horseflies are likely to be back.

We are aware of 10x10 pop up tents but are curious if there are larger tents that would serve as an outdoor living area that members might recommend. We don't move around very much, if at all, over the course of the summer, so ease of set up will not be a critical factor in our selection.

Has anyone tried 2 10x10 tents side by side?
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Eureka Northern Breeze screen room. It is 12 X 12 and has flaps to close it in like a tent or they can be rolled up to open it up as a screen room. It comes with 3 poles so that one flap can be used as an awning. In cold weather we heat it with an electric heater. Right now we have the campground picnic table, two comfortable camp chairs, a dorm fridge, a microwave, and a TV in it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I do not know how many people are included in your "we."

Our two people and a small dog have fit well in a CLAM shelter that has good insect protection. The CLAM measures about 12'X12'. Several reviews can be found in discussions on this site.

Our experience includes riding out thunderstorms with 50mph winds. I believe you want a sturdy shelter you can leave up while going for a hike or a quick drive into town and not have to worry about it blowing away while you are gone. There are awning rooms that attach to the trailer but they can be very expensive and prone to wind damage.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
You can find detail on this site, for CLAM :

Quickset

I always heard only good comments about this brand.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
we lucked out a few years ago and got one of the surplused off Dometic Cabana's. Its a tent that attaches to the awning rail and clips down the sides. Even comes with a screen for under the trailer. Wish they were still available but they were discontinued.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0036.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We own a couple of 10x10 First Ups, they would work very well together on a flat surface. You would have to modify the netting though as it is one piece with the zipper being the joining point.
Wind would be the concern.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
CLAM

We love our Clam. The first time I saw one was a young man put it up solo in less than five minutes. The screen gauge is small enough for anything we have encountered. I do not think two would go together.
John
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use a Clam and love it. Carl
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0822-001.JPG  
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #9

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Thanks!

Just a word of thanks for the kind replies to my post . I was not aware of most of the tents you suggested so now I have direction.

This is just another example of the how helpful this site is to so many and speaks to the willingness of fellow travelers to help. I read most days and find the threads a treasure chest of information. Hopefully as I become more experienced, I will be able to help others here. blessings...
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Not connected to them but L&M Fleet Supply usually has the best prices on Clam Products. The 1660 Green Screen Tent was the orig. screen tent. The Tan 1660 model has some improvements and the tan tent is cooler. The tan tent is also drier with the opt. side panels installed due to how the side panels attach. When I ordered mine on line the tent shipping was free but you had to pay shipping on the side panels. I called them and they included the side panels with the tent for total free shipping. The only issue you may hace with the Clam is it is 6ft. long when packed in it's bag.
Eddie
http://www.landmsupply.com/search-re...search_id=2322
The tan side panels have windows.
http://www.landmsupply.com/search-re...search_id=2322
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We've been very happy with our Paha Que screen room. Very thoughtfully designed and well crafted. It has provided us a bug free room for meals and relaxing and held up well in all sorts of wind and rain. The adjustable side flaps (attached but can be tied up out of the way or velcroed down) not only block the wind or late sun when needed, but make great privacy screen if the neighbors on one side are a little too near. We have the 10x10 but it is available in a 12x12 which may better fit your needs. Amazon and other outlets carry them http://www.amazon.com/Paha-Que-LX-Sc.../dp/B00AVSBCX0
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Screen room

I can't say enough about our Clam 12 x 12 screen room. We live in Florida where mosquitos and no-see-ems are a year round problem. The Clam protects us completely. Add to this the vertical walls, side panel option, and ease of deployment and take down (2 minutes and one person) and it is the best option.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
This reminds me, I need to go get a can of Raid Yardgard before spring gets here.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
We use the Clam and love it. Amazingly fast setup and takedown with one person. It *is* 6' long when collapsed, so beware. We usually carry it in the Parkliner. Have friends who really like their Paha Que.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
we lucked out a few years ago and got one of the surplused off Dometic Cabana's. Its a tent that attaches to the awning rail and clips down the sides. Even comes with a screen for under the trailer. Wish they were still available but they were discontinued.

A couple places have them online under "A&E" in 7ft. and 9ft.

What size is yours ?

Thanks