Looking to upgrade and wondering about tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Looking to upgrade and wondering about tow vehicle

I currently have a 13ft perris pacer that I easily tow with a 2004 tj jeep 6cyl 5 speed trams. We are sort of considering upgrading to either a 16 foot scamp or casitas with bath. I'm curious if anyone is towing either one of these with a jeep and if so are you happy with the combo
We recently had a great 3 day weekend camping but the black of bathro has become an issue the 2 I looked at were the standard models
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
I have had two Jeep wranglers, one was a 92 four cylinder with a five speed trans, and the other a 98 Sahara with an inline six and a five speed trans. I would not hesitate to tow my Scamp 16 deluxe oak front bath with the Sahara. The other jeep couldn't get out of it's own way!

I never towed the Scamp with the jeep however, as I sold the jeep to get my current vehicle, my beloved 1993 Geo (Suzuki) Tracker. 1.6L inline four, five speed trans and 4x4 of course. Seeing as how I can easily tow my 16 deluxe with THAT, I am quite positive that the jeep wouldn't even feel the scamp back there. I don't pack light either, I even have an ice maker.

That said, I don't ever go anywhere in a hurry. I tend to hypermile a lot which is the main reason I sold my wrangler!

Your TJ should have the same awesome 4.0 inline six that mine had. They produce almost all of their peak torque at an idle. I wish I had mine for a day just to hook the Scamp to it, sounds fun!
Hopefully this helps.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Better than asking, why don't you check the manual for YOUR vehicle, therein lies the best answer. The best answer I could find on-line was a towing capacity of 2000 lbs for your vehicle, but yours may be different.

If you look at real world trailer weights in the General Chat forum you will see that most 16's and 17's might be a bit heavy for your vehicle, but again, check your manual for a value.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Make sure that you look at the "weights in the real world" to see what a 16' Scamp weighs. Your TJ is rated to pull 2000 lbs, which we did for years with our 1997 TJ with a standard transmission to pull our 13' Scamp. Our 2007 JK with automatic trans then took over pulling duties for the trailer. We go every year to Ouray Colorado, and have to pull some awesome mountain passes, which required us to shift down to 1st gear running 5500 rpms to make it up & over. I would be very cautious when up grading unless you are flat-landers.
The 4 door JK is rated to pull 3500 lbs, but keep in mind the 2012 & up V-6 pulls better than earlier models.
"It's A Jeep Thing......"
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
P1010510.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote