Lots of chips on roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
Can a fiberglass roof be resealed. I have lots of nics and chips on the roof and many finish cracks. it doesn't leak but I would feel better if the roof was solid
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
On a semi-related note... does anyone know how large a hail stone a Scamp will take? It hasn't happened yet... but in Nebraska here... we get hail pretty regularly.

I assume this is why other stick built travel trailers have rubber roofs. Has anyone done anything to strengthen fiberglass roofs along this line?
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Can a fiberglass roof be resealed. I have lots of nics and chips on the roof and many finish cracks. it doesn't leak but I would feel better if the roof was solid
Hi Steve----Do you have any idea on how you got nics and chips on Roof?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
Quote:
Hi Steve----Do you have any idea on how you got nics and chips on Roof?

yeah, I believe former owners were hunters and took it out on gravel roads in the BC back country.
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Quote:
yeah, I believe former owners were hunters and took it out on gravel roads in the BC back country.
Hi Steve, See the discussion entitled "touch up paint" under "Care and Feeding Of Fiberglass RV's. There are some good suggestions on products that work well for filling chips. Ron W
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Steve/Huston Family,

Response to both inquiries, I have a '91 Casita that had stress cracks on the top. I purchased the white elastomeric roof paint from Home Depot and Lowes and I painted the roof of my Casita with it and I did several layers to really put it on thick with a roller, this has not only sealed up the stress cracks, but my trailer stays out in west texas on my deer lease and I know for a fact it has been through some really bad hail storms(according to the rancher some hail was nearly golf ball size where I keep it) and I have inspected the roof and have not seen any signs of damage from the hail. The stones were big enough to break the exterior plastic vent hood for the range, but no fiberglass roof damage at all. The elastomeric roof coating is recommended for sealing mobile homes,rv's roofs and some building roofs. This is not for everyone, because you have to be prepared to lose the smooth shiny fiberglass surface. When this product goes on it will dry to a matte finish, but it is really durable, as I did this three years ago and it really has held up well to the elements. I liked it so well, I painted the entire trailer with it. The gelcoat on my trailer was completely shot so I did not mind the matte white finish. I think I remember paying $15/gal for the product and used 3 gallons for the entire trailer.

Scott
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Not that they took it on gravel roads, folks do that quite a bit, but chips on the ROOF? Sounds more like hail damage or some such thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
Steve/Huston Family,

Response to both inquiries, I have a '91 Casita that had stress cracks on the top. I purchased the white elastomeric roof paint from Home Depot and Lowes and I painted the roof of my Casita with it and I did several layers to really put it on thick with a roller, this has not only sealed up the stress cracks, but my trailer stays out in west texas on my deer lease and I know for a fact it has been through some really bad hail storms(according to the rancher some hail was nearly golf ball size where I keep it) and I have inspected the roof and have not seen any signs of damage from the hail. The stones were big enough to break the exterior plastic vent hood for the range, but no fiberglass roof damage at all. The elastomeric roof coating is recommended for sealing mobile homes,rv's roofs and some building roofs. This is not for everyone, because you have to be prepared to lose the smooth shiny fiberglass surface. When this product goes on it will dry to a matte finish, but it is really durable, as I did this three years ago and it really has held up well to the elements. I liked it so well, I painted the entire trailer with it. The gelcoat on my trailer was completely shot so I did not mind the matte white finish. I think I remember paying $15/gal for the product and used 3 gallons for the entire trailer.

Scott
Hey Scott ! Just read your message regarding the elastomeric roof paint....I'd like to try it.....So my question is this....I just looked on the Canadian Home Depot site and found this stuff but it says it's for masonry stucco and brick. It's in a purple can and is made by Behr. Is this the same stuff you used ?? Thanks Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would try this WHITE EPOXY PASTE

Name:   right_tool_2012_36047088.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  6.7 KB

http://www.right-tool.com/pcwhiteppas.html

or this Devcon White Epoxy Putty

Name:   035_devwepoxy.jpg
Views: 99