Lots to do...and learn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Well, I got my first good look at my '73 Trillum 1300 today. I haven't taken it home yet. Still need to install a hitch on my van. For now it's in good hands...in my Dad's driveway.
It needs a good cleaning for starters. The first major fix will be the ensolite. Does anyone have suggestion where to buy it in the London - Stratford, Ontario area? Also, it needs a new roof vent. I didn't see any signs that the windows are leaking.
Before I do too much cleaning of the fridge, stove and furnace, I'm going to tow it to my local RV place and get them to check out the propane lines and make sure the appliances are in working order.
The wiring is a mess. There is no power inverter and I'm going to have to trace everything to figure out how its all connected. Our needs are very simple, and since we are used to tenting, we'd like to continue to do most of our camping off the grid. Assuming the fridge will work on propane, all we really need is some light in the evenings. BUT, I'd like to have the ability to plug in when we feel like it. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for a trailer like this one? I'm also thinking about using a portable solar panel to recharge during the day.
I am also planning to put in a new floor as soon as possible (its gross). i have read that some people have used the Allure flooring from HD. Any other suggestions?
So much to think about and learn. I can't wait to get it home.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone has.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Rob,

The pre 75's didn't have an inverter, just the breaker. The 75's on had the Progressive Dynamics model. I replaced mine as well as adding a battery and a battery shelf, here's a discussion on it:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry273675

What's wrong with your ensolite? It's hard to find and you can fix small tears or retractions fairly easily.

I went with the Allure flooring. As I have mentioned before I do have some scratches because of dragging the cooler on the floor but other then that it's been pretty solid. Still thinking of a better way to tie in the edges - right now i have caulking but it doesn't look very good and I don't really want to drill holes in the fiberglass cabinets.

Congrats on the trailer!
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
There are trillium owner manuals posted in the document section of this site. Don't know if they have wiring diagrams in them. But there is a wiring diagram in the Uhaul manual (think its in the repair manual) also posted in the documents section.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Congrats on the trailer Rob.

Sorry, it's too early to be witty, so here it is -- Straight.

I'm with Booker on the ensolite, it's likely easier to repair then to replace, so unless it's really bad, I'd recommend that you clean/patch it, then if you still don't like it, sponge paint it.

Wiring in these things varied greatly from model to model, and year to year. The best inverter substitute I've ever seen was a fella that ran the whole rig off 12v, and had a marine smart charger from CrappyTire to keep the system up. I'm fairly certain that it's on here somewhere (the post of what he did and how).

Well, there it is.... quick and clean.

Enjoy your adventures with your new rig.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Look for kevin61 on here, and check out his stuff. He's got an older Boler that he's done some great work on. There's loads of pictures, and some videos on youtube that he's made and linked to.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In the Document Center is a very good wiring schematic for a Scamp. Since all these trailers are more similar than different, I hope you find it of value: Wiring Diagram - Scamp
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Good for you. I know that you will enjoy it.
As Pam has said, check out the Trillium and the Boler specs which you can find in the Document section at the left of this page, under Resources. There is a diagram in one of the Boler articles which is pretty generic and quite useful for most trailer brands. Use the 'Search' option at the top to find articles related to a given subject. I have purchased parts in London at Heimtrsa's.
You will have to take it to the 10th Fiberglass Rally at Emily Provincial Park in July and see all the other trailers and what has been done to them. It's a fantastic weekend and, if last year is any indication, there will probably be about 150 units there this year.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Rob,
I also picked up a trillium 1300 this year, mine was made in '75 but is is a pre-inverter trailer. The way they approached the wiring in my trailer is very straightforward:Generally speaking the 12v wiring comes into the trailer at the front left through the floor (visible in the front hold under the bench seat)and makes its way around the trailer counter clockwise going through the kitchenette, dinette and into the closet. On its way it provides power for the following things: front running lights, 12v fridge contact, low volt bunk lights, rear brake & signal lights. the 120 v system is entirely separate and starts with the plug wire coming into a electrical box at the bottom of the closet, then a 14 gauge 2 wire runs clockwise around the dinette and behind the kitchenette where it goes into a receptacle box for the fridge to plug into (this can be seen from the front hold, left side looking towards the kitchenette) and finally another wire is run from the receptacle box up behind the kitchenette to an electrical box in the upper cupboards for the kitchen 120v light.

let me know if i should take some pictures.
I haven't figured out all the colours for the 12v wiring yet, but so far:the fridge (12v)is on a black and white pair, the running lights are connected to the white and the green wires.

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
My 12v trailer wiring is same as house wiring - black hot, white neutral. Apparently this is common in trailers. However, a $20 multimeter is your best friend when checking the wiring as it's the 'fixes' from past owners that you have to watch out for.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks to all for the tips. I've decided to repair the ensolite as much as I can. I'm most concerned with getting all the edges sealed and fixing some that has peeled away from the wall. There is some really punky stuff around the roof vent that I could pull off and replace. I've seen ceiling tiles made of the same type of material with fiberglass insulation and a vinyl skin. I think its used in bathrooms. Maybe one or two pieces of that stuff would do it?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
My 12v trailer wiring is same as house wiring - black hot, white neutral. Apparently this is common in trailers. However, a $20 multimeter is your best friend when checking the wiring as it's the 'fixes' from past owners that you have to watch out for.
Mine appears to have been modified over the years, I'll have to be careful. I picked up a multimeter today, I think you're right, I'm going to need it. The interiors of all the holds have been painted white....including all the wiring. HA! This will be fun.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #12

Registry
Does anyone have an idea what to do about exposed edges of my ensolite. I understand there may have been some kind of moding there at one time but it is long gone. All the seams are exposed as well as the edges along the galley. It looks as if a previous owner tried to patch it with some kind of plaster around the windows. Its not good.
Thanks
Rob
Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rob, if you can get the old gunk off, some have had good success with using caulk and a dampened paper towel to provide a texture to the seam. If that still doesn't provide the overall look you want, you could "hide the scar" by using a stencil and paint over the seams. Check out this topic for what I'm trying to describe: FINALLY... I made peace with my seams!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote