Louvered cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Jeffrey F.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Posts: 16
Louvered cabinet doors

I was unable to find any trailer manufactures that offer louvered or cane insert cabinet doors, like those found on most sailboats. Air circulation seems to be an important factor in reducing humidity and improving warm air flow throughout the interior. Several threads recommend opening cabinet doors to reduce the possibility of freezing water lines and/or tanks at night. Unless I'm reading it wrong, some even suggest leaving lower cabinets open while traveling in freezing weather. Either you’re going to trip over an open cabinet in the dark while using the restroom or lose the contents while bouncing down the road.

I do have them on my sailboat and they help with the humidity problem. Never will I ever sail into waters cold enough to test out the freezing part. Has anyone installed louvered cabinet doors to help keep water lines/tanks from freezing? And if so, did it work?
Thanks,
Jeff
__________________

Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Posts: 664
Most big box stores sell louvered vents that you just cut the appropriate size hole and screw on the vent. Might find more attractive ones online. Pretty easy process.
__________________

LyleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,763
You might be interested in peterh's solution. He used punched metal: Five Scamp Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Posts: 701
Registry
I made two of these replacement cabinet doors for my trailer. Found this rattan shade roll-up at Lowes' shades department. There are a number of styles, and they can be pricey, but so is a sheet of stamped sheet metal, and making louvered slats did not appeal. Got lucky at Lowes with price. Someone returned a custom cut rattan roll-up. Ten Buckaroos!

The backing is cloth. I cut slices in it for extra ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails
cabd09.jpg   cabd13.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Jeffrey F.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I made two of these replacement cabinet doors for my trailer. Found this rattan shade roll-up at Lowes' shades department. There are a number of styles, and they can be pricey, but so is a sheet of stamped sheet metal, and making louvered slats did not appeal. Got lucky at Lowes with price. Someone returned a custom cut rattan roll-up. Ten Buckaroos!

The backing is cloth. I cut slices in it for extra ventilation.
Very nice, I like the look of rattan, and you can't beat the price.
Punched aluminum another good idea.
I just don't understand why manufactures don't install louvers as standard equipment. Cost cannot be that big a factor as I've seen louvers on every sailboat I've been aboard, even the cheap ones. Everyone knows the benefits of increased ventilation in an enclosed space.
Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,028
Registry
Thank you Myron for the great tip. I have been thinking of trying something like this.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: AndyT
Trailer: Thor
Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
DOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey F. View Post
I was unable to find any trailer manufactures that offer louvered or cane insert cabinet doors, like those found on most sailboats. Air circulation seems to be an important factor in reducing humidity and improving warm air flow throughout the interior. Several threads recommend opening cabinet doors to reduce the possibility of freezing water lines and/or tanks at night. Unless I'm reading it wrong, some even suggest leaving lower cabinets open while traveling in freezing weather. Either you’re going to trip over an open cabinet in the dark while using the restroom or lose the contents while bouncing down the road.

I do have them on my sailboat and they help with the humidity problem. Never will I ever sail into waters cold enough to test out the freezing part. Has anyone installed louvered cabinet doors to help keep water lines/tanks from freezing? And if so, did it work?
Thanks,
Jeff
Measure your doors, then see if the sailboat manufacturer has the same size to match
atihansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
peterh's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Posts: 1,544
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You might be interested in peterh's solution. He used punched metal: Five Scamp Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors
As it happens, the inserts in our Surfside's new cabinet doors are cut from bamboo sun shade material. They, like our Scamp's aluminum punch panels, are lightweight and provide ventilation.

There's just one catch: Lynne and I ran out of material from our first bamboo screen purchase and found the second lot we ordered had distinctly different colors, so we went shopping for a different shade in a much larger size. The bamboo inserts you see here will eventually be replaced with the new design.
Attached Thumbnails
CameraZOOM-20190330105329435.jpg  
__________________

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking ideas for painted Cabinet Doors in a F/G Cabinet: Show Yours! thrifty bill Modifications, Alterations and Updates 33 12-12-2018 08:57 PM
Cabinet doors or No cabinet doors? openthegates Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 29 07-28-2016 04:43 PM
Boat Hatch doors to replace Burro Cabinet doors. Tommy Gun Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 10-09-2015 06:44 AM
Free: Complete Set of Scamp Cabinet Doors and Overhead Cabinet - Need them gone quickly Isaac M Parts: Buy | Sell | Trade 14 06-10-2015 09:13 PM
Doors, Doors and More Doors + Vents Bob Miller General Chat 0 01-19-2015 09:34 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.