Louisiana
Registry
Good advice, Eddie!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Eddie, Hubby is starting to smile - good idea!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
It would be much simpler if the bottom edge of the shell was level (flat). That 4" drop, at the passenger front quarter, for the doorway sure is complicating things.
Can you lift the other front corner up and block it 4" higher?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #18

Florida
Registry
Roy,

Thanks, we finally came to that conclusion.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #19

Florida
Registry
Cut the rest of the floor, dry fit was good. Had to take out the ensolite - mold, windows out, fiberglassing floor in today, filling holes - will post pics later.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #20

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Cat
I have not had to remove a complete frame like you have done, I just replace one floor section at a time. If you glass the front and rear dinnette sections in first then you should be able to drop the trailer back down on the frame and the side floor pieces will be easier to deal with.
Make sure you use an adhesive sealer between the frame and flooring material around the drop floor area, it is not required under rear dinette frane rails. Also Lowes sells self tapping wood to metal screws which are hardened and have big countersunk heads. ( I use #10 X 1 7/16") I use them to attach the floor to the frame rails. Even though they are self tapping I drill pilot holes through the wood into the frame. I use a impact drill driver to set the screws into the wood.
Also don't forget to coat the underside of your flooring with resin before inst.
Also I use a twisted wire brush to clean up the area around where you glass the floor to the shell. You can easily cut through the shell if you use a grinding wheel.
A multitool (Fein tool) with a scraper blade will easly peel off ensolite and the foam backed material under the seats.
Eddie
Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #21

Florida
Registry
update

We got the shell off. Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! bent the spare tire bracket then 4 of us lifted it off of the frame.

The frame is being worked on by a friend, (what a friend!) The frame isn't crooked any more - glad we went to the extra trouble of having that done. There were broken welds that couldn't be seen till the frame was out and examined on both sides. Almost finished with that bit

The ridge of fiberglass that held the floor to the shell has been ground off in preparation for reattaching, Hubby has been dremeling out the rivet holes, (Ozzy has the chicken pox)!

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding to go!

We have done a few rivet hole repairs and are feeling much more comfortable with the fiber glass process. Still more prep work to do inside the shell before we get down to business with the glass work.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #22

Florida
Registry
forgot to add pics

frame and chicken pox
Attached Thumbnails
chicken pox-007.jpg   DSCN9459.jpg  

DSCN9486.jpg   photo1.jpg  

DSCN9479.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #23

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
We got the shell off. Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! bent the spare tire bracket then 4 of us lifted it off of the frame.

The frame is being worked on by a friend, (what a friend!) The frame isn't crooked any more - glad we went to the extra trouble of having that done. There were broken welds that couldn't be seen till the frame was out and examined on both sides. Almost finished with that bit

The ridge of fiberglass that held the floor to the shell has been ground off in preparation for reattaching, Hubby has been dremeling out the rivet holes, (Ozzy has the chicken pox)!

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding to go!

We have done a few rivet hole repairs and are feeling much more comfortable with the fiber glass process. Still more prep work to do inside the shell before we get down to business with the glass work.
Cathy, We too bought a "fixer" though we knew it had more to do than what you thought yours would, it still had more than we expected. We might have backed out if we'd known.. The good thing is now you will really know that things are right when you are done and no worrying later. Our frame had cracks clear thru that we would not have found if we had not taken it off the frame. Even the leaf springs were cracked! We are like you and had to rebuild everything (and are still working on it!) We did reinforce/rebuild the frame replacing sections with new steel and extended the tongue. I console myself with the thought that even if we had got one we thought was road ready, we might have got a few nasty surprises. We have put in all new flooring too. The tricky part for us was putting it back on the frame. If you do change any of the frame make sure it isn't going to cause a conflict with your shell. We took pics and measurements to the welder and he did an excellent job, but still he changed something and it affected how easy the two fit again. My hubby and I are looking at this as a bonding experience. We are working together on it (prepare us for the small sleeping arrangements) Good luck on your Love Bug. I am looking forward to camping in our trailer one day...maybe sometime in Oct. (even if it isn't completely finished )
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #24

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 74 Boler 13
Florida
I have. It forgot about you hope it's not too late I'll get the floor pics tommorow.... Looking good, You will appreciate it even more, I know as we both probably still itch from classing how comforting that is :-)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post
....... I am looking forward to camping in our trailer one day...maybe sometime in Oct. (even if it isn't completely finished )
It doesn't need to be perfect, only perfect for you. More than one person has camped in a "hard sided tent" and had a great time... I hope you find the same memories... they will last you a lifetime.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #26

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It doesn't need to be perfect, only perfect for you. More than one person has camped in a "hard sided tent" and had a great time... I hope you find the same memories... they will last you a lifetime.

Thanks Donna. I totally agree. We are going to try to get down to the Fall NOG. If only for the day to meet and greet. We may be in the middle of moving our kids (down to Albany) at that time, so we can't commit to the weekend until things have been worked out. I saw that they have first come spaces in the other section and we may have to go with that. So hoping to meet a few fellow FGRVer's
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Look forward to meeting you Tania. If you can't make it for camping, drop in anytime during the weekend
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #28

Florida
Registry
Donna,

Great perspective. It is too easy to get caught up in the mess of it all and loose sight of the original goal.

Thanks,
Cathy