LP/CO Detector - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It wasn't the CO detector that went off. It was the smoke detector. I haven't installed an LP detector yet.

We didn't run the furnace all night, just 20-30 minutes at night before we went in to change for bed and another 20-30 minutes in the morning to knock the chill off. I did provide ventilation by opening the roof vent and the kitchen window an inch or so. Is that enough?

In the end, I just popped open the battery door of the smoke detector while I ran the furnace and popped it back in when I turned it off. But I'd still like to find out why it's happening.
My bad, I misread your post.

We had a similar problem with a smoke detector that was highly sensitive to humidity in the trailer. It would go off every time my wife made water for her coffee. No issues after we replaced it with a new detector. You may want to try replacing your smoke detector to see if it may be overly sensitive or defective.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
If you are going to replace the smoke detector, spend a couple more dollars and get one designed for the kitchen. It has a button that shuts down the alarm for about 10 minutes. That way you don't have to pull the battery - just press the button.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I use a BW Technologies Microclip 2. Part number: MC2-XW0M-B-NA.
http://www.canarysense.ca/pdfs/cache..._datasheet.pdf

Mine is black, not yellow. It measures carbon monoxide, oxygen, and lower explosive limit, (Propane). It is intended for personal protection, but I just clip it near the bed. It is portable and rechargeable. Since my company sells them, I can have it calibrated yearly, or more often if I want.
They are not cheep, but I get a deal. The three sensors are replaceable, for when they fail to calibrate.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
LP/CO Detector

I wasn't planning to replace anything. They are both brand new. Just trying to understand why running the furnace sets off the smoke detector. Is there something wrong with the furnace (which was just checked by an RV shop and pronounced okay), or do I have the wrong kind of smoke detector, or...?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #19

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Well, once you solve the issue with the smoke detector and furnace, you will still have issues with boiling water and with toast.
I'd return it as faulty and get one with a pause button.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My guess the reason your smoke detector is going off is moisture condensation. in a small space your heating the air and vaporizing moisture and its condensing on the cool element of the smoke detector. Might try moving the smoke detector to the other side of the closet out of the direct blast of the furnace. Assuming that the heater is mounted under the sink.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
If you are purchasing a new smoke detector, get one that is a dual detector -ie has both ionization & photo electric sensors. With the two different sensors, it detects both flame & smoldering fires.This is a battery powered dual detector & has a "hush" button. It still goes off sometimes when I burn the toast, but the hush button works.

As to replacing detectors, even the 12V propane detectors should eventually be replaced. If it doesn't have a replacement date, the most often suggested date is the same as for CO detectors - when it is 5 years old. As to smoke detectors, if they don't have a "replace by" date, the NFPA code states they should be replaced after 10 years.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
My guess the reason your smoke detector is going off is moisture condensation. in a small space your heating the air and vaporizing moisture and its condensing on the cool element of the smoke detector. Might try moving the smoke detector to the other side of the closet out of the direct blast of the furnace. Assuming that the heater is mounted under the sink.

That makes sense, and is easily tested. I'll try it in a few other spots and see what happens. Thanks, Steve.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As to replacing detectors, even the 12V propane detectors should eventually be replaced. If it doesn't have a replacement date, the most often suggested date is the same as for CO detectors - when it is 5 years old. As to smoke detectors, if they don't have a "replace by" date, the NFPA code states they should be replaced after 10 years.
Safe-T-Alert now installs an end-of-the-life alarm which goes off 5 years after the 12V supply is first connected.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Safe-T-Alert now installs an end-of-the-life alarm which goes off 5 years after the 12V supply is first connected.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Safe-T-Alert now installs an end-of-the-life alarm which goes off 5 years after .....
I got about that far and thought two things...
1] Oh no! I don't have enough detectors!
2] Why would I need an alarm 5 years after I'm Dead??

Then I realized that marketing had just found a new tool!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
That's funny Floyd.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Floyd, who knows, there may be some folks want to celebrate this 5 year anniversary.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Hi,
Trying to decide what I should do. The new Scamp 16' came with a CO detector. Why would they not include a combination CO/LP detector? Should I replace what it came with with a CO/LP detector, or add a hardwired LP detector, or a combination LP/smoke detector, hard-wired or battery-operated? So many detectors, so much to think about. I also don't want to start drilling and installing things without being sure. Some comments I've ready indicate if you have the valve detector on the dual tanks, which we do, that if there is a leak in the lines, you'll know if the gas doesn't stay in the lines when you turn off the tanks. But perhaps the furnace could go out and the pilot not close, or a burner be turned on, etc. If you do recommend, are battery-operated available/worthwhile, or just need to hardwire? And when not camping, this will drain the battery.