Mail? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
No mail at home...

The process started several years before I started traveling for extended periods. We were getting mail stolen from our mail box. I was concerned about identity theft and we worked on getting all bills on line. It was an easy transition from paperless billing to either auto pay or paying on line. Which made the transition to no mail pretty easy.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
A bit more on my 305 days on the road -

I'd love to be able to get all my bills on line, but there always seems to be a couple of organizations that won't send bills as email or even provide a way to check the amount at their website, etc.

For me, our local hospital & school taxes are examples. The hospital is especially annoying - they insist on a separate account for each bill, making it a pain to use on line banking to send them a check since you have to make a new account for each bill.

I spent a night in an Emergency Room during the trip (including an ambulance ride to get there) and all the bills went to my home address - nothing available on line. Most was covered by insurance, however I'm still trying to straighten out the hospital copays almost a year later.

One concern I had was getting a new insurance card while on the road since it is issued every 6 months & I was away from my local agent longer than that. I have Allstate auto insurance, and was able to go to an Allstate office in Yuma & have them print out the card.

I do my taxes on line, and was able to get a physical W2 at a Social Security office while on the road (they do not make it available on line).

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Georgia
(snipped) The hospital is especially annoying - they insist on a separate account for each bill, making it a pain to use on line banking to send them a check since you have to make a new account for each bill. (/snipped)

I have ran i to this problem when my mother was living with us and I had to handle her affairs. (Alzheimer's) What I ended up doing is putting her name in the place for account number. I now do that for some of my medical bills that are from large corporate entities. Only one problem so far and when confronted with the fact that their software was creating a new account number each time they accepted the name instead.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
(snipped) The hospital is especially annoying - they insist on a separate account for each bill, making it a pain to use on line banking to send them a check since you have to make a new account for each bill. (/snipped)

I have ran i to this problem when my mother was living with us and I had to handle her affairs. (Alzheimer's) What I ended up doing is putting her name in the place for account number. I now do that for some of my medical bills that are from large corporate entities. Only one problem so far and when confronted with the fact that their software was creating a new account number each time they accepted the name instead.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
This is another one where you know you're going to have to pay something. What I did and would do again, wait 60 days then call. I think we've done this twice. The first time at 60 days they had not even sent us a bill. So we waited another 60 days, but were home by that time.

Since we have our mail forwarded to our daughter she can call if there's something that looks like it needs attention. We her open it and read it to us.

There's always a way, you just have to put on your thinking cap and figure out what works best for you.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am not on the road all that long at a time but setting everyting I could up on auto-pay and/or e-mail notification was the best thing I ever did to simplify my monthly business. My home and cell phone auto-bill my credit card. That de-couples those bills from my bank accounts and gives me a few weeks "float" to pay. I pay the CC in full every month so there are no interest charges.

My daughter's school tutition and the water bill come out of a seperate bank account I set up for just such things. My employer will divide and send my paycheck to up to four different accounts. So I have enough direct deposited to that account to pay those bills (plus a little) and the account is free since I have money automatically deposited to it. Once a month I get an e-statement I review. Easy-peezy, lemon squeezy as my daughter would say.

I have no monthly or ongoing bills that I have to write a check for anymore. The only bills not set up on auto-pay are the lights (electric, or "hydro" for our Northern friends) and my credit card. And I pay those on line. My mail box is just for junk and magazines.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #20

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
We plan to be on the road for 5-6 weeks starting mid January. First for a bat project along the Lower Colorado River between AZ and CA for 3-3.5 weeks. After that we plan to travel a bit and visit some of the SW states and national parks. All below the freeze line if possible. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Those of us tropically adapted do not do so well in Michigan.

Our biggest concern now is mail. What do most full & part timers who are away from home more than a week do about mail?

When we lived and worked in Central America we established on-line banking for our U.S. accounts. So banking is not an issue as everything (well most except some research project funds) are direct deposit and bills are all auto-pay from our accounts).

Mail is our one big concern.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Bat Dude
Join the Escapees RV Club for $29.99 then sign up for the mail program.
Chuck
Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #21

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Join the Escapees RV Club for $29.99 then sign up for the mail program.
Chuck
As with anything associated with mail forwarding there's high fees involved, not just the membership fees. Here's a link to Escapee's mail forwarding fee schedule.
LINK
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
As with anything associated with mail forwarding there's high fees involved, not just the membership fees. Here's a link to Escapee's mail forwarding fee schedule.
LINK
And, that is a problem with those of us who "ramble" from place to place, never knowing when or where we will be, and rarely staying in one location for more than a couple of days. I love the lifestyle, but it sure does not lend itself to written communications.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
And, that is a problem with those of us who "ramble" from place to place, never knowing when or where we will be, and rarely staying in one location for more than a couple of days. I love the lifestyle, but it sure does not lend itself to written communications.
USPS is mostly an advertising distribution center. Example today's mail included 2 christmas gifts I order for my wife, and 5-6 pieces of advertising. The advertising went straight into the recycle bin without even a second look.

If you work at it you can get your mail down to a small amount of advertising.