maintaining scamp windows... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: nancy
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Washington
maintaining scamp windows...

Ah, come on...NO ONE can answer my question on how to keep the side windows on my Scamp working nicely? I don't believe that...I've read how helpful you all are...and how knowledgable.

Perhaps I didn't give enough information.
I just got a 1985 restored Scamp. I've never owned a trailer before, so EVERYTHING is new to me! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of 'dumb' questions.

The side windows in this Scamp are the hand-crank type. They work very nicely. I would like to know what I need to do as regular maintenance to keep them working so nice. I don't want to come back in a years time and have to ask you guys how to Repair Them! <Grin!>

Not only do I live in the Pacific Northwest...wet and rainy...but I also live in the Mountains...wet, rainy, freezing and snowy.
At this time, when the Scamp is not in use, I keep her covered. In the winter I plan to move her into indoor storage in the Valley.

So, I'm open to any suggestions you may have...should I oil the hand-cranks? Should I oil the bars, brackets and hinges? If so, with what...and how often?

Any suggestions you may have would be more then welcome.

Thanks for your time...nancy
nancy and steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I went to the Hehr window ( which is what Scamp put in my 2009 trailer ) web page and could find nothing about maintenance.

Here is a link to the Hehr contact page so you can contact them and ask.

Window Plants

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
In a non rv world, anything coated with oil will work better, smoother and will not rust. If it were mine, I'd coat everything with 3/1 oil inside and outside unless it adds to the nasty black streaks.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Wd 40.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy and steve View Post
Ah, come on...NO ONE can answer my question on how to keep the side windows on my Scamp working nicely? I don't believe that...I've read how helpful you all are...and how knowledgable.

Perhaps I didn't give enough information.
I just got a 1985 restored Scamp. I've never owned a trailer before, so EVERYTHING is new to me! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of 'dumb' questions.

The side windows in this Scamp are the hand-crank type. They work very nicely. I would like to know what I need to do as regular maintenance to keep them working so nice. I don't want to come back in a years time and have to ask you guys how to Repair Them! <Grin!>

Not only do I live in the Pacific Northwest...wet and rainy...but I also live in the Mountains...wet, rainy, freezing and snowy.
At this time, when the Scamp is not in use, I keep her covered. In the winter I plan to move her into indoor storage in the Valley.

So, I'm open to any suggestions you may have...should I oil the hand-cranks? Should I oil the bars, brackets and hinges? If so, with what...and how often?

Any suggestions you may have would be more then welcome.

Thanks for your time...nancy
I have drug in 30year old Scamps with perfectly workable jaulosie windows, which apparently have had no maintenance.
I would say that a touch of silicone spray on the moving parts, a little aluminum polish on the frames, a little UV protectant or tire shine on the rubber parts and a little windex on the glass and a soft clothes brush on the screens ought to do it. Do not overtighten when closing or hyper extend them when open, as these things will stress the mechanicals.
Take a file and soften the sharp outside corners of each sash to lessen the injurious effects of hitting your face on the open window when moving around the outside of the camper.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a 1951 28' Park type trailer that goes to a friends property in the Mts. in the Spring and comes home before the first snow in the fall.
It has the same type windows as your Scamp.
I don't think the windows have ever had any preventitive maintenance in 60 years and they all work fine.
They're most likely the most trouble free items on you trailer.
Scamps are uaually the most WORRY FREE travel trailer you can own.
If you must lubricate them try a spray silicone lubricant. Oil based lubricants will collect dust.
Have fun and don't worry.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #7

Name: nancy
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Washington
Thank You ALL....I do appreciate the suggestions, and good to see that I have one less thing to worry about.

all for now....nancy
nancy and steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows