Making a 16' Scamp Sleep 6??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: slamaina
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ontario
Hi,

I am Stephenie from Southern New Jersey. I am shopping for a used 16' Scamp. I found one that I am going to look at this weekend. Maybe this will be the one. Now we are tent campers but I am ready for an egg. I will be towing it with a 2006 Honda minivan with a capacity of 3500lbs.

Has anyone turned the aft of the scamp into full size bunk beds that could sleep 2 up top and 2 more on the bottom? (2 kids would be on the fwd bunk/sofa.)

Stephenie
Stephenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm, interesting. I suppose anything is possible with enough planning and enough supports for the bed. The only one I know about, that's even close, was a mod by Chester. Check out this link for more information: Bunk Bed, Rear Bunk Bed Possible?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer:
This thread 1987 Cadet 13' discusses adding a bunk to that trailer and might give you some ideas.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #4

Ontario
Thank you. Please keep the ideas comming. I am not too worried about the cramped quarters. At home, my husband says that the children and I sleep like hamsters. Very often I fall asleep on the sofa while watching a movie with the 8 year old and the 2 year old and we confortably sleep there all night.

Next question...can you attach something like a bunk support to the fiberglass shell of a 16' Scamp? Or would it have to be supported from underneath only?

Stephenie
Old 07-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The original equipment upper bunk/cabinet over the rear gaucho in the B1700RGS or RGH is supported on both ends by the interior cabinetry. There are columns in the rear corners, beams leading forward from them, and support of the forward ends of the beams by the kitchen and refrigerator cabinets. There are rivets through the shell to brace everything, but the weight is supported by cabinetry to the floor.

The only cabinetry in the B1700 which is supported only by the shell is the small one over the dinette.

My observations are of a Boler, not a Scamp, but it seems reasonable to me that any furnishings which carry a person's weight should be supported by structure to the floor, not just the shell, but could be braced to the shell.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I will be towing it with a 2006 Honda minivan with a capacity of 3500lbs.
To increase the sleeping capacity of my rig, I had to think "Outside the Box... er, trailer." When set up for camping, I take the 2nd row seats out and place them on frames I made so I have a pair of chairs under the awning:

Click image for larger version

Name:	robert_2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	4076

This frees up space in the minivan. With the 3rd row bench folded into the floor, now the entire volume of the van is available to you. I bought what's called a 3-fold "futon" that is 48" wide. This fits perfectly in the Honda Van laid out flat as a bed for 2, and rides folded up behind the 3rd row seat in the luggage area on top of other luggage!

I'll have to go take sone pictures tomorrow to demonstrate...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #7

Ontario
How much room is there under the table once it is converted to a bed (height and width)?

I was thinking that maybe there might be room for a child sleeping bag.

Stephenie
Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
How much room is there under the table once it is converted to a bed (height and width)?

I was thinking that maybe there might be room for a child sleeping bag.

Stephenie
Depends....some tables are supported by a single pole that's inserted into a permanent fitting on the floor...sorta looks like an overturned bowl. That would make sleeping in that are impossible.

The table for my Scamp is hinged from the back wall...no permanent floor support. But, I use that area (when the table is in the bed position) as storage....gotta put it someplace! (My daughter calls it our "basement model."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp