Making closet shelves in a 17' Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I just bought a 1998 Casita Spirit DX from Bob B. (thanks, Bob and thanks to Mike for sending him my way!). I'd really like to put shelves in the closet for storage. I've searched, but most of the conversation seems to be about Scamps and other trailers. What have you Casita owners bought/made? I've seen the hanging shoe bag, but am looking for other ideas, especially if you found a shelf from Home Depot that fits, or something like that. Thanks!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I just bought a 1998 Casita Spirit DX from Bob B. (thanks, Bob and thanks to Mike for sending him my way!). I'd really like to put shelves in the closet for storage. I've searched, but most of the conversation seems to be about Scamps and other trailers. What have you Casita owners bought/made? I've seen the hanging shoe bag, but am looking for other ideas, especially if you found a shelf from Home Depot that fits, or something like that. Thanks!
Hi
I think that no matter what brand FG trailer you have any ideas submitted here will apply in some degree to solve your shelf problems.I myself for my little 13ft unit found plastic shelfs that fit my particular unit.Good luck on your search.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
We have a Burro but this is what we did in our cabinet...

Cut 4 1"x1" strips of wood, glued them to cabinet walls with liquid nails. Cut 20" deep wire shelving 13" wide and attached them to the wood using the wire shelving small plastic hanger thingys that you screw into wood. The shelves are wedged into the closet making them tight and secure. We turned the wire shelves upside down so that the turned edge was up. We used small bungies to keep things secure in cabinet as we traveled down washboard dirt roads to get to our favorite campsite. These shelves worked well to keep everything in place.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Look at my post #13 here for more ideas: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=50&t=24170
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #5

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Patrick, I like your pics--they're worth a thousand words! I'm thinking I may cut boards contoured to fit the inside of the closet like in that one picture, and cut thick dowels for legs so each shelf can sit on the one below it. After looking closely at the closet, I can see with a square shelving unit I would lose a lot of storage space. Appreciate the help!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Lisa - Several of us used PVC pipe of two diameters make our shelves and they are easily removable. I put in 5 shelves and added a door on the bottom to access a dead space that I created. It's a good place to keep chocks, levelers, leveler crank, etc. There are lots of good ideas out there. If you do the contoured shelves, start with the biggest one and work down to the smallest one. That way you don't have to make so many patterns. Good Luck!
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Here's an old "Legacy Post" with instructions on making a template. Alas, if there were any pics, they're long gone. But with Patrick's pics and these instructions, I'll bet you can make a dandy set of shelves!!

Good luck with your project, Lisa. (And post your pics when your done, okay?)

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #8

Thank you, that's about what I was thinking!

Patrick, how are the pieces of pvc attached? It looks like they're just balanced between the upper and lower shelves. It's not one long piece running through holes in the shelves, is it?

Quote:
Here's an old "Legacy Post" with instructions on making a template. Alas, if there were any pics, they're long gone. But with Patrick's pics and these instructions, I'll bet you can make a dandy set of shelves!!

Good luck with your project, Lisa. (And post your pics when your done, okay?)

Old 11-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #9

Name: T
Trailer: 1982 Chevy Tioga
OK
I’d love to be able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick M. View Post
Look at my post #13 here for more ideas: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=50&t=24170

Hi! I’d love to be able
To see your photos to get some ideas for my closet shelving or storage but most likely I’ll be using it for tools. It’s super deep. I’ve almost thought hanging an over the door shelves towards the inside and then gluing wood pieces to each side and sliding boards in I just want to utilize every inch so it can be organized
Thank you!
TJam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:48 PM   #10

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
You know this posting is more than 16 years old?
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita