Making window screens from scratch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: Boyd
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Making window screens from scratch

Hi all...new member here.

Have been wanting a small FG camper for along time.

This one has come up for sale near me...of course there is a catch. It's a custom concession trailer which I'm pretty certain is based on a Trillium Jubilee platform.

If I buy it I have no intention of trying to restore it back to an original Trillium camper. I would be happy to just have an electric fridge, perhaps a hot plate for cooking on miserable days, and some other simple creature comforts.

BTW, it has no provisions for plumbing at all and that is fine. It does have a 120 volt service and that is great for serviced sites and really all I need. I have all propane appliances for outdoor cooking, etc.

All I really need is something to separate me from bears.

Anyway...to the question. The trailer has huge windows for vending. I don't see any window screens in the sellers pics. If I can not have screens for cross ventilation the trailer is of no use to me whatsoever. If the existing windows can be screened...I could have a cool little camper.

Any one out there know if the existing windows can be screened?

I would think there would have to be a provision in the window frame for a screen to be placed...but I just don't know??

I have not talked to the seller yet as they are out of town at the moment.

TIA for any help
Attached Thumbnails
55.JPG  
911jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Maybe screens go on an inside track?? Mine do....82 Burro.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for the reply...I have a couple inside pics.

Attached Thumbnails
66.JPG   88.JPG  

Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Can't really see by the pics if there is a provision for screens. They do look like house windows thou. Maybe get some closeup shots of the frame, in and outside.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Have you only seen pictures? Not the trailer in real life? The pictures make the windows look like there are screens in 1/2 the window openings.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreen Bradshaw View Post
Have you only seen pictures? Not the trailer in real life? The pictures make the windows look like there are screens in 1/2 the window openings.
If you look at the pic in post 1 the windows are all tinted creating that effect. At first I thought there were screens as well but realized the tint was there.

Only seen pics, I have not seen the trailer as it's 180 miles away.

Thanks for the replies.

You would think Trillium would not install an unscreenable window in an RV even if it's a concession trailer...
Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm am NOT an expert, by any means, with trailer windows but I suspect there HAS to be a way to set up screening even if it turns out to be a custom job. Your windows are a simple rectangle unlike many in trailers that have rounded corners. I suggest that you show the photos to someone at a hardware store that sells supplies to make or replace home sliding window screens. Good luck!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
I sure could learn to love those big windows!
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If this was a regular trailer that had larger windows added later and had cabinets and bulkheads removed it could have substantially weakened the trailer. If you go to look at this unit I suggest you check carefully for cracks especially at the corners of the windows and also make sure the shell shows no sign of racking. You may have more serious issues than screens.

Those windows do look nice but be careful.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
window screens

Hi Boyd,

I'm currently making new window screens for a nonfiberglass 1974 Prowler (Last week she laid an egg so I now have a 1979 Scamp to work on!).

Anyway, I'm making mitered frames from resin molding from a big box store. After constructing the frames (much like picture frames), I staple the screening (also from the big box store) to the backs.

With the Prowler, I can secure them with flip clips. However, depending on the material framing the windows of this fiberglass camper, you have at least two options. First, you could put a magnetic strip on the backs of the screen frames if the window frames are a metal that will respond to that. If that's not going to work, I'd use adhesive velcro. You may need to use a stronger adhesive than what comes on them because of the heat.

There's also the probability that a hardware store in your area could make them for you. Or a local handyman.

I know that would not stop me from buying the camper.

Hope this helps...
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
They do look like house windows thou. Maybe get some closeup shots of the frame, in and outside.
I agree. If they are double track sliders, screens should be an easy mod. Don't forget, you are only going to get 1/2 the opening as screens.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr
When I had to repair a window screen on my sister's trailer, I found the frame stock (5/16" x 5/8") at R&G Mobile Home Supply, who were very helpful. As I recall, they also had corner pieces that slipped into the frame stock.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
I sure could learn to love those big windows!
Me too! Would make for a nice panoramic view!

Well folks I'm (OP) back from a get away and sad to report that the trailer sold last weekend. I snoozed and I lost. And they were only asking $1500

So...I'm still on the outside looking in...But I'll find something.

Anyway, thank you so very much for trying to help a perfect stranger. I really appreciate it a lot. This is a super forum and I hope to be back as an egg owner soon.

Stay safe and have a great summer.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #14

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
NO snoozing in the future!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote