manually lighting a Dometic RM36e - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
manually lighting a Dometic RM36e

My fridge sparker is temperamental. I shut it down when I was gone yesterday, and now I can't get the sparker to set in the hole correctly.

I had to manually light the dometic on my Burros.. is there a way to do this with this model? If so, anyone got pictures?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Hi Gina, I have the same fridge as you and was wondering the same thing. I found a handy little port hole for the pilot light in the lower right corner. You can stick a lighter in there pretty easy. There is a red button that hangs down off the entrance to the burner tube that you push up to start the gas flowing. After it is lit and the thermocouple warms up it should stay lit. Sure would like to know why they are so hesitant to light sometimes. You may have to remove the sheild from the back of the boiler tubes to reach the gas button.

I would check out the document centre for pictures and diagrams of all the parts. I just read mine the other day and learned quite a bit.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks.. I should have looked before I asked. I popped the back vent off, looked and said DUH!

It would only have been easier if Fabio came over and lit the lighter for me.

Amazingly enough, the workings are immaculate and look well cared for. Clean and tidy, no creaky slides or corroded terminals, nicked wires or Bubba mods. He must have had someone else service it. It looks newer than the rest of the rig, and too correct LOL!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
That fridge is very similar to my old "Instamatic." My sparker was the same way when I first bought the trailer. It's the result of an oopsie when someone pulled when they should have pushed... I have since found that the rod is threaded and if you can line it up just right (took a lot of practice to hold my mouth just so...) you can re-connect it an it won't be temper-mental any more.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Thanks for the tip Frederick! I will check out my service manual and see if I can correct the linkage.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Registry
yeah, I have tried that many times. when I had NOTHING better to do, I would lie on the floor and try to see in there so I could get a mental image of where it needs to go..then spent much time trying to find it by braille.

I managed to get it on a whim..but it only lasted a couple of turn ons.

Since I won't be having to ignite it often..I sit in one spot for months on end, I can live with manually lighting it. Seems faster and more fail proof thanthe sparker method.

Tags
lighting