Marine Headliner Seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Marine Headliner Seams

Along with finishing up the plumbing and other minor cosmetic items on the interior we are almost ready to install the marine headliner we bought for our Boler restoration. We purchased enough material to cover the complete interior but we have since decided that we will cover the bathroom area of the shell with Poly Panel (extremely flexible) from HomeDepot. I have the seams covered with the poly panel as they make trim for the seams that will work perfect. We are considering using the same trim for seams on the headliner but the trim is white and the headliner is off white/beige. What other options are there for us to get that professional quality look to our seams with the headliner? Any pictures of what you have done with marine headliner would be much appreciated!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Scamp makes a piece of trim ribbon out of the same headliner material. Take a 5 inch wide strip of headliner and fold a 1/2 inch edge down the side and tack it in place with hot melt glue dabs every couple of inches. Now do the other edge. flip the ribbon over and you now have a nice clean strip of fabric with a nice edge. Now locate this over your butted seams and hot melt glue dabs this in place. May not be the prettiest of things but it all matches.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Scamp makes a piece of trim ribbon out of the same headliner material. Take a 5 inch wide strip of headliner and fold a 1/2 inch edge down the side and tack it in place with hot melt glue dabs every couple of inches. Now do the other edge. flip the ribbon over and you now have a nice clean strip of fabric with a nice edge. Now locate this over your butted seams and hot melt glue dabs this in place. May not be the prettiest of things but it all matches.
thanks Steve, we may try that. We considered having my wife do the same but stitch the edges with her sewing machine. The hot glue may be easier method but I thought the stitched edges might look neater...

I have an extra tube of liquid nails, I wonder if that would hold instead of the hot glue???
Old 01-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #4

Name: Joan
Trailer: Companion
Michigan
Registry
I'm very curious to see/hear about how these worked or other solutions. I don't care much for the Scamp seam covers, but don't like the uncovered butt joins either. I might try to figure out something else when I get that far.
Joan of Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Deep South
We scrapped the headliner as it would not stay up, summer heat made it fail. We tried contact cement, Loctite 300 spray glue and some others. We were told that the chemicals in the glues react with the plastics on the back of the headliner which combined with the heat caused the bond to fail.

It was disappointing because we really like the look of it as opposed to the rat fur. We ended up using some indoor/outdoor carpet similar to the rat fur that we found a Lowe's in small rolls (marketed for outdoor RV area rugs). So far it is staying up with contact cement. We will see how it does in the summer heat. We also scrapped the foam insulation and went with the reflectix bubble insulation, but we can definitely tell a difference in insulation factor is not as good.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
I'm going with the spray adhesive they use to put it in boats. That has to be able to stand up to heat- gets really hot in the sun on the water! Don't recall the name off the top of my head, but will re-research as that phase approaches. Thanks for the info about your experience.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have had good results with the DAP High Heat Headliner Adhesive. I had to redo the 3M brand because of the heat here in the Arizona desert.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Good to know. Scamp told me what they use- it wasn't proprietary, but I've forgotten. I'm sure they'd tell me again.