marine hulliner question??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
marine hulliner question???

Does anyone have a rough estimate of approximately how much hulliner it takes to cover the walls of a basic 13 foot egg. I haven't a clue
Seems it comes in 72inch widths. Thanks.
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I am wondering the same thing as I have to figure out what I want to cover my walls with. Don't like the Rat Fur but hear that Hull Liner has a shorter nap to it.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

California
Registry
I hope the hulliner has a shorter nap too. I'm looking at the geometric hulliner (seems to be shorter) on the Perfect Fit website. I imagine, but don't know for sure, that I would have to match the slight pattern that particular hulliner has, not a problem, but probably a little bit of waste. It'll have to be something I keep in mind when installing. I'm thinking that I'll keep track of the the amount of Refectix that I put in, maybe that'll give me an indication of how much hulliner I will need to order.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Steph, I installed carpet for a couple years after the military. The refectix is like padding under carpet, it can go in any direction and even be pieced in to cover the area. The carpet had to go in the same direction (grain) and uses more material than the padding, maybe by 10%. Just saying cuz if you go by how much refectix you use for the top covering you will be short. I'm sure someone here who has replaced theirs will give you a yardage amount that is enough.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

California
Registry
Thanks for your input Dave. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. At least the Reflectix will give me a starting number and I'll add on from there. I'm planning to order more hulliner than Reflectix. I don't mind having leftover hulliner, it's better to have more than not enough, besides, I can always keep a little bit for repair work and give the rest away.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty3 View Post
I hope the hulliner has a shorter nap too. I'm looking at the geometric hulliner (seems to be shorter) on the Perfect Fit website. I imagine, but don't know for sure, that I would have to match the slight pattern that particular hulliner has, not a problem, but probably a little bit of waste. It'll have to be something I keep in mind when installing. I'm thinking that I'll keep track of the the amount of Refectix that I put in, maybe that'll give me an indication of how much hulliner I will need to order.
The geometric pattern is what Scamp used in my 1986 Scamp. I like it much better than the standard Velcro looking stuff they use now. Where they but joined the separate pieces Scamp used a strip of the same headliner and back folded to get a clean edge. They then hot melt glued this in place. Its been there for 18 years and still looks good.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
My calculation (feet)excluding floor surface was :

12 x 6 side walls (X2)
6 x 6 front/ back wall (x2)
12 x 6 ceiling (x1)

= 288 sqf.

Fabric/ hull liner/ carpet is sold in 72 in. wide rolls, so you need, 12 +12 +6 + 6 + 12 feet of it, or approximately 48 feet of it.

This does not consider % extra for corners or waste.

Right?
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

California
Registry
Thanks Steve for the "edge" info, I was wondering how the edges should be finished off for a clean look.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

California
Registry
Great! Thanks for your help with the calculation Luis, sounds good to me. In addition to corners and waste, I'll need to figure in my newbie installation mistakes as well LOL
Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my Scamp the factory put the material basically on in 3 pieces. Starting in the center on one end, whet up the end over the top and down the other end. Then they put on the side pieces butting into the side of the end pieces going across the side of the trailer and back to the side of the end wall. they did the same on the other side. They ran the formed tape up the end wall across the top seam and down the other end wall. Same on both sides. Wiring going to the upper cabinet was hot melt glued to the fiberglass inner skin before putting on the reflextic. Don't forget to run the wires to your vent whether or not you plan to use a powered vent fan. It was no fun fishing that wire in on my unit. I have end cabinets too and had to fish wires in there for lights I added.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

California
Registry
Awesome, thanks for the hulliner "map" Steve. I'll give this method a try when we go to put it in