Mattress Topper... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Mattress Topper...

This is really my first post, and hopefully this is in the correct place...

The other day my wife and I ordered a mattress topper from Walmart, it was rated REALLY high, so we thought we'd give our bed a make-over, so we bought one.
We have a king-sized bed and when we received the topper, I noticed that the pad was slightly smaller, that doesn't matter, this thing is really, REALLY worth the money. Speaking of, it's under $50. too, and it's made well, and actually works! I'm not a salesperson, this is just such a good deal, I figured that I'd share this with people that could find a good use for it, that's all.
A couple of years ago we also bought a Memory Foam mattress topper that made it to where we didn't need to buy a new mattress, we love it, but, it can get pretty warm like Memory Foam mattresses are known to get. Hence the new one we just got.
Anyway, our old king-sized mattress was a Pillow-Top mattress, it seemed like a good thing at the time, but you can't turn them over to get extra life from them. We were kind of short-changed.

That's the long story of how we came to get this mattress topper, if you are interested in possibly rejuvenating your camper's bed with one of these, I can almost guarantee you will be happy. It's always nice to be able to let others know of a good thing, especially now days.

The last 2 nights we both have slept VERY well, and I have slept 'late' once, and she has the next day, usually I hurt by the time I need to get up, now, not so much. (I didn't say it made me younger, only I felt better)

I hope this helps!

Oh yeah, if you plan on it, be sure to think about it now, we had to wait 2 weeks before they got them in again, they're pretty popular, it seems.
Be sure to read the reviews too, don't
just take my word for it...

Dreamy Nights Fiberbed Mattress Topper - Walmart.com

Randy
RECrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That one sounds real nice, but beware of others from the same source. We just returned their memory foam mattress topper. Said 1.5" thick on the package but proved to only have 1/2" of memory foam and 1" of junk foam.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Texas
Thumbs up

I would guess that like Amazon, WalMart has their share of 'not-so-good' companies they get their products from, or, their quality control may not be 100%.
We bought our ($200.) 4" Memory Foam mattress a couple of years ago and it was vacuum sealed, when we opened it up, it ballooned to about 3-1/2", but after awhile it got up to the correct size. Ours was nothing like the one you describe though, I don't blame you for sending it back.
The good thing about Memory Foam is it's easy to cut it to shape for the fiberglass campers, but, these mattress toppers aren't, but that shouldn't matter, sheets and comforters aren't shaped to the camper either. heheh
(Not that I have a camper yet)

In the future, I will continue to buy Memory Foam beds to replace this one when it is no longer comfortable. To me, 'regular' beds are not that good in comparison, with a foam mattress, you don't really need the box springs, and the new brand name mattress beds now days are really high in price, I get sticker shock every time I see them. I can buy a lot of Memory Foam mattresses for the same price.
Also, now that I have found (what I hope to be) the perfect topper for a Memory Foam bed, I not only have a less expensive bed, and a cooler (in temperature) one, but a more comfortable one.

This is our 3rd night on our new Fiberbed pad, my wife still hasn't gotten up, so to me, that says something, she doesn't usually sleep this long. heheh

Randy
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Randy, we've used a topper like yours and the 1.5 makes a big difference. We cut ours to fit the corners and store it behind the front couch in our Scamp. To make storage easy we have removed the top hinge from the couch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #5

Texas
Cutting the foam to make it fit is a good thing. The foam is not cheap enough to throw away either, there has to be good uses for it, like pillows, etc., or leaving it in your will...

After re-reading my initial post, I may have made some think that I am referring to a Memory Foam mattress topper, I'm referring to the mattress topper in the link though, I think I got lost when I wrote that. heheh The Memory Foam thing I have is 4" mattress, not really a topper. The 'new' pad we got is the mattress topper, which we placed over the Memory Foam mattress.
This new pad is a whole lot like a comforter, except you sleep 'on it', not 'under it'. (I'm going to go back and change my mistake if I can, sorry)

Well, it wouldn't let me change it, but hopefully it makes sense now, a little better anyway.

Randy
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Installing a 2" thermafoam mattress topper on our trailer cushions was the first thing we did to create a very comfortable bed. When you get your trailer, I'll bet you'll do the same! Photos show our custom covers and the two sides rolled up ready to store under the dinette seat.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I need a 'smaller than twin' size topper for my bed, so I think I'll order the twin size.
I can order it into my local walmart store for no delivery charge, and if it doesn't work out for me, I can also return it to the store.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Installing a 2" thermafoam mattress topper on our trailer cushions was the first thing we did to create a very comfortable bed. When you get your trailer, I'll bet you'll do the same! Photos show our custom covers and the two sides rolled up ready to store under the dinette seat.
I looked around here on the forum and online quite a bit, and what you have done is what I plan to do too, that seems to be the best way, at least for me.
After that, I'll get the micro-filled mattress topper to put on top of it so it won't be too hot, that Memory Foam is some hot stuff to sleep on.
(You won't be able to cut it to shape, but for comfort, it works good)

Randy
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I need a 'smaller than twin' size topper for my bed, so I think I'll order the twin size.
I can order it into my local walmart store for no delivery charge, and if it doesn't work out for me, I can also return it to the store.
Be sure to read the Reviews Pam, these things already run small, so for your particular size, you might want to read how others handled that.
Since I ordered mine for my King-sized bed at home, it's a little different case. The smaller sizes in these toppers might not be 'short' in size like mine was, but I did read that some mentioned it, that's how I knew to expect it.

Good luck on that!

Randy