Max trailer weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Brakes aren't just for stopping. They help keep your trailer a "trailer," instead of a "leader." You don't want the tail wagging this dog, ever.

With terryjeffers, with all due respect, yours is the most daring tug & tow combo I've read about here in a long, long while. And I say that as one who tows a 16-footer with a Forester- but I'm (just) within my tow rating and using brakes. I'm surprised, actually, at how seldom I'm using those brakes, even descending mountain passes. My engine and manual transmission are my primary braking system, as you know. But when I need to stop NOW, I want the best braking system I can get (you do have rear-wheel disc brakes, don't you?). And just 100 lbs tongue weight for a 1500 lb trailer? My, my... when I go below 150 on my 1900-lb. Scamp, the back of the car bobs like a slow boat in following waves.

At least you keep it under 55 mph, but that's a hazard all its own. Good luck out there.

John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The PT Cruiser is not a tiny vehicle - it has a longer wheelbase than cars used to tow 13' eggs such as those from Subaru and Toyota, and a particularly reckless RV dealer has been known to demonstrate and advocate towing up to 22 foot Airstreams with turbo PT Cruisers. That's not for me, but I don't see the PT Cruiser as unusually marginal for towing small eggs... again, I do believe it would need trailer brakes.

I believe that 100 lb of tongue weight for a 1500 lb trailer is not unreasonable by European standards... but as I've said before, if applying Euro standards I think it is important to consider all aspects of the rig, not cherry-pick one Euro spec in combination with other aspects that would not be typical in Europe.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Trailer: Trillium
If you are referring to Can Am RV as being reckless you are mistaken. Andy Thompson has used a PT cruiser as a demonstration vehicle in addition to a Chyrsler 300M and VW Jetta diesel to name but a few of the vehicles they have used. He also writes a respected column about towing in one of the RV magazines. Check out their website and email Andy, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about towing with a PT Cruiser.

Phil H. is offline   Reply With Quote

weighing, weight