Maximum Truck Height towing Bigfoot 5th - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the Market
Nevada
Maximum Truck Height towing Bigfoot 5th

Hello all y'all:
We are in the market for a small fifth wheel. I have a Dodge 1500 4x4 with a pretty impressive (stock) height above the ground. It's got 20" wheels and tires. I'm aware that one can raise the hitch height in the truck bed but I want the trailer to tow level. I also don't want the trailer to hit the truck bed sides you know?

Who knows the height off the ground of the lowest portion of the front end of those '80s model Bigfoot 5th wheels.

Thanks for the help
Dan
skyboltone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have a Scamp 5er, towed with a 2006 Chevy V-6, and a raised axle with 3" lift. Right now I have about 10" of clearance between the trailer and the truck bed side. I have seen 5th wheels with less clearance but find that at times my trailer gets very close to the bed rail. Since I'm in the market for a new truck, this is something that I have to consider. The best way is to measure from the ground to your bed rails heigth, then also measure a trailer with it is sitting level. I have looked at many trucks and most of the newer ones have very high bed rails. Good luck
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
We have a 1989 BigFoot Fifth wheel. We ended up welding a subframe to raise the trailer up 6" and got a slider hitch. We went to Standens in Calgary. Worth every penny because now we don't worry at all. I can send a photo if you would like to see it. We tow with a 2007 Ford Lariat.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot