Maxxfan Vs. Fantastic Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft CT
I want to install one of these two fans in my U-Haul. Are there some things that one does better than the other, or are they about equal? Also, when one is at a campsite with normal 110 current, does an inverter power the fan, still 12volts, or how does that work?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris and Ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
First, the straightforward part: these are strictly 12VDC appliances, so when the trailer is plugged into 110VAC, the fan will still be running from 12VDC, and thus either running down the battery or being supplied by the trailer's AC-to-DC converter, depending on the trailer. Most of our eggs come with a converter, but not everyone uses them.

An inverter makes DC power into AC, which is the opposite of the direction needed to supply the fans when AC power is available.

As far as the size and performance of the actual fan is concerned, the Fantastic and Maxx products have about the same specs and look about the same to me. They also both have (at least in some version) multiple speeds, reversing, thermostatic control, and remote control (mine has everything but the remote).

The difference is that while the MaxxFan has an integrated retracting rain hood, the Fantastic Fan has an optional rain sensor, which closes the lid and turns off the fan to avoid getting rain in your trailer. Since I want ventilation on rainy days, the choice of the MaxxFan was obvious for me.

Another difference is that Fantastic Vent offers their fan with a different housing to fit a thin roof better. While that is relevant to most of us, it was less important to me than the rain hood. I assume that there are other installation detail differences as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #3

Thank you Brian for the input. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly about the inverter - converter question. I also appreciate the information about the two fans. I seem to agree with your thinking about being able to circulate the camper air on a rainy day. So while the fantastic fan may be less expensive to purchase, the maxxfan could be more practical.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I have an Aero Flo vent cover over my FanTastic Fan - it keeps rain out of the open vent even in the worst storms. Cost is about $30, it's easy to install and easy to clean. The Aero Flo is easier to clean, more aerodynamic and has better ventilation than the Maxxair vent cover.

Being a bit leery of complex gadgetry, I have avoided vents that rely on technology to keep out the rain.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Thanks Jack. I had never heard of the Aero Flo cover, but it sounds like that may be just the answer. There did you purchase yours?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Can't recall, but it's available in many places. Just google 'aero flo vent cover'. We keep the vent open on our UHaul at all times except when traveling, and never had a leak.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Fantastic Fan has a great reputation out there and I can't recall a single complaint from any of its owners but, like Bryan, we went with the MaxxFan. We needed rain protection and I liked the profile of the MaxxFan better. With two seasons of use, its been great. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand though. FWIW, I installed ours from scratch (cut hole in roof, ran wiring, etc.) and it took only 2-3 hrs if I remember correctly.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I have an Aero Flo vent cover over my FanTastic Fan - it keeps rain out of the open vent even in the worst storms. Cost is about $30, it's easy to install and easy to clean. The Aero Flo is easier to clean, more aerodynamic and has better ventilation than the Maxxair vent cover.
I assume the comparison here is between add-on vent covers (Aero Flo and Maxxair), not to the MaxxFan with its integral cover. The MaxxFan when retracted certainly looks to be aerodynamically superior to any fixed cover.

Quote:
...Being a bit leery of complex gadgetry, I have avoided vents that rely on technology to keep out the rain...
I agree with the avoidance of unnecessary complexity; the MaxxFan doesn't need any power or electronics to avoid rain entry.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Chris,

You might want to look at this previous discussion:

Fantastic/Maxx
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Can't recall, but it's available in many places. Just google 'aero flo vent cover'. We keep the vent open on our UHaul at all times except when traveling, and never had a leak.
$27.99 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Camco-Manufacturing-...o/dp/B0006JLU22
Steve Walser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 1970 Boler
u sgould by a spectacular fan
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote