May buy a burro tomorrow! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #21

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Yep, found that site. Didn't find it too easy to search so I may have missed something, but didn't find anything close enough.

Looks like I'm getting this Scamp. Just got to get the cash gathered. It looks very solid. There's plenty of little issues, a rusty bolt here. A power converter that needs replacement there ( they have a new one, just not installed). But it's solid and clean. I have no doubt I'd love it.
I did a test tow in a hilly area. Never got over 50mph, but no drama. It felt fine. The seller said, when pulling it up a steep hill, "It's pulling a lot stronger than our element!" Stopping, especially down hill I could tell the brakes were working harder, but not straining. I think the big worry would be getting complacent because it feels so easy.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20110919_134426.jpg  
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #22

British Columbia
I'd still love a good Burro, but I think the scamp is a better first egg. At least unless you had a really well sorted Burro. So I'll keep my eyes open for one down the line. Maybe when I'm ready to restore or have one restored. But a clean newish scamp I think will be perfect for me now.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #23

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Dylan,
Glad you found something you like. I think the whole forum is now breathing a collective sigh of relief!
Congrats and best wishes,
Phil
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #24

British Columbia
Not so fast! The automatic Craigslist searcher app on my phone just found a green, newly restored scamp in Santa Monica, maybe 90 minutes drive. Full frame off restoration and new paint by the owner who is a Autobody guy. Only the cushion upholstery and curtains are left to complete the restore. Green in and out apparantly.

I like green, but will that make it hotter in the sun than white??

$6000 sounds pretty good to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Not so fast! The automatic Craigslist searcher app on my phone just found a green, newly restored scamp in Santa Monica, maybe 90 minutes drive. Full frame off restoration and new paint by the owner who is a Autobody guy. Only the cushion upholstery and curtains are left to complete the restore. Green in and out apparantly.

I like green, but will that make it hotter in the sun than white??

$6000 sounds pretty good to me.
All those prices sound a bit high to me, maybe $1000 or so high. However, prices vary a lot from area to area. You would know what they are like in your area.
I have found that, for the two fibreglass trailers I have bought, that I have to restrain myself from just leaping at the first one I see. That said, I have bought two out of the three trailers that I actually went to see, having driven to Calgary from Edmonton (600 KM round trip ) Alberta each time. However, I reviewed quite a few on the internet and by phone before I went to see one. The third trailer was a 14 foot Surfside in need of serious TLC, and I would have bought that if the seller and I could agree on a price. So, I guess I am just a committed buyer with a tolerant wife. We paid $4500 for the Boler (sold it for $5000 a couple years later with many minor fixes) and $5500 for our current 1980 15 foot Trillium.
Green might be a bit warmer in the sun, but if the Scamp has opening front or back windows the extra ventilation will take care of it.
It sounds like you are having fun. When we sell our house and move to a smaller home for retirement in a couple of years, I am hoping to have space for my own “trailer farm”. Good luck.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Good upholstery work is not cheap.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You will probably be better off with the Scamp simply because they are still around and have a website that you can order parts from.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
A brand new Scamp equipped like that 2001 model would probably cost about $9500, unless I've missed some options on it. Personally I like new stuff, but I realize that Minnesota is a long drive for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #29

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I really wanted a Burro and took almost a year of semi-serious looking to get the right one. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie
I guess I got lucky. I sold my teardrop on a Sunday and bought my Burro on the following Tuesday. And it was only 40 miles away.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #30

British Columbia
The price seems high on the 2001, but there are several factors that keep it from deterring me,
A: he said he'd be willing to adjust the price some, but didn't talk numbers.
B: locale, everything is expensive in California
C: when I talked to scamp, and priced one out with real world costs like shipping and taxes, the price was more like $11000 or $12000 as I recall. With AC and front bath it was closer to $15000 new. Driving to pick one up, or even waiting for one to be delivered is not possible, I need to leave all packed and ready soon.

And that brings me to the last reason I'll pay a premium, I need one in California and I need it now.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
The price seems high on the 2001, but there are several factors that keep it from deterring me,
C: when I talked to scamp, and priced one out with real world costs like shipping and taxes, the price was more like $11000 or $12000 as I recall. With AC and front bath it was closer to $15000 new. Driving to pick one up, or even waiting for one to be delivered is not possible, I need to leave all packed and ready soon.

And that brings me to the last reason I'll pay a premium, I need one in California and I need it now.
Drive to the East Coast and pick up my Egg Camper, under $10K and it's 100% ready to go. For a nominal gas fee I could meet you on the road not sure where you are heading?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #32

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:

As Billy Joel sang, "You pay for your satisfaction..." and it seems like the criteria you list make it just about necessary to pay more and settle for something other than the perfect fit for the camper you want/need. I wish you luck, but would strongly caution that if you are buying fast and paying a premium, make sure what you are getting is sound and completely functional. If you don't have experience with this rather specialized area of expertise it would be worth your time and money to pay to have the potential buy thoroughly examined by someone qualified to evaluate its condition... if the seller is legit, he should welcome this. JMHO, YM(especially in California)MV.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #33

British Columbia
CPAHarley, It would have to be like $3000 under $10000, because 7 Gs is a stretch for me at the moment. And we have to meet on this side of the country, way on this side.

Froggie. This 2001 isn't perfect, but it does look great. There's some little things, but overall it's clear to even this inexperienced shopper this is a solid trailer. The underside, while looking original, looks like it's never seen rain. Without having a shower, the configuration is still really good for me. And it's darn rare to find a shower in these anyway. It's custom in front, doesn't have the fiberglass "seats", rather custom wood ones with a place for the (included, seemingly unused) porta potty. I've been thinking about how I'd do that myself before this find. It's a lightly used, well maintained 10 year old scamp. It'll serve my needs well wit a minimum of work other than adding a few things I'd add to just about any 13 I find (like brakes). I'm feeling really lucky I came across it actually.

Here's an old expired ebay add for it, please advise what ya'll think it's worth!
13 ft Travel Trailer | eBay
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #34

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I set up google alerts for all of the craigslists in my area, it doesn't always work but sometimes you get notification lightning fast. I was the first guy to respond to the Scamp listed some 20 miles away, and the first to see it, and he sold to me for $1800 (was asking 2000). Set that up, it may help you, if you haven't done so already.

Also, the only advice I have is to make sure the title is clean. Lots of horror stories (I could have been one, I think I got lucky).
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #35

British Columbia
I have an app on my phone that searches Craigslist in multiple area and updates automatically. Good stuff. I wouldn't have found this 2001 without it.

So, I've verbally bought the 2001, if the bank stuff works out I'll be doing the paperwork and driving off with it tomorrow. YAY!

The green restoration I saw was really interesting, but not ready to go and it's on the vintage side for sure. So I had to pass on it. I hope to get pics of that when it's complete. Really fun to look at a restore in progress and talk with the restorer.

You all rock! Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #36

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Dylan,
Excellent. It's the same floor plan as the trailer we've ordered. We really like the front dinette layout. Means you can keep the back bed made up and use the front as a work/eating table. Ours has the porta potti tucked in under one of the front dinette seats. Is that where yours is? Just under 2 weeks until we get ours
Good luck!
Phil
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #37

British Columbia
The front seats are nicely crafted from wood. Not sure what it came configured with from the factory. Perhaps empty up front. The upholstery is different, so I don't think it had front seats. There is a "lid" that opens on the seat near the door with a supposedly never used porta potty. Haven't really investigated it.

Thing is I want a shower, so I want to remove the table, at least this version of the table with the floor mounted poll holding it up. That's were the drain goes! But if I can swap between table and shower in that 2'x3' space I'll be very happy.

I'm sleeping in it tonight, State beach campground south of LA. But I'm at a nearby restaurant and pulled in just before dinner, so haven't spent any real time in it yet.

No power at the site and I haven't hooked up the 12v from the car yet. So It'll be flashlights tonight. But I am really stoked about trying it out! Too bad too close neighbors have giant, really loud generators. One is REALLY REALLY loud. Can't believe some people think "camping" next to what sounds like a motorcycle constantly revving is in any way enjoyable. I pray they don't leave that on all night.

So Reeves, you have a new one on order? Exciting!

Tags
burro