Maybe a Front Window Leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hi All,

I searched the forums but couldn't find specific's....

After a heavy rain yesterday I noticed water in my 13' Scamp. Specifically it was along the front wall only, under the front compartments. Being a really new Scamp owner I'm not sure where to start?

I immediately assumed it must be coming from that huge front Plexi-window and seeping down between the outside shell and rat fur/insulation.

Historically, is that a good place to start the troubleshooting process? What kind of potential leak causing warning signs should I look for?

Appeciate all the help I've received here, trying to get ready for our first trip next week.

Eric
efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hey Eric,

Look at the rubber front window channel where it meets. After a bit this tends to shrink and there is a gap of about 1/8" that you need to caulk. Avoid using silicone caulks, use 3M marine caulk you can get a wally world. It could possibly be the belly band, but I'd eliminate everything else up there first. If you have overhead cabinets seal those screw points as well. Anything that is coming through the shell in that area re-seal it.
You'll probably want to check the plywood decking up there for rot if the leak has been there for awhile.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Look at the bottom of the window on the outside and see if you don't have some small weep holes. They may be covered with little plastic "hoods." These can get clogged with dust and cause them to overflow into the inside. A good cleaning with weed wacker cord can often solve this problem. This may not be the cause, but it's sure the easiest to start with.

Even those I know this, even I had this problem recently. First thing I did was check the channel, and even though it seemed dry, I cleaned them anyway. Still leaked. It wasn't until after I got home that I realized that I actually had a dual problem. The side emergency window gasket was a little old and dry so it allowed too much rain in during a series of storms. After I cleaned out the weep holes again and it still did it, I felt like it was finally time to remove the window and redo it. I also decided to replace the gasket while I was at it. That was when I finally realized that there was a second set of weep holes on the emergency windows. A new gasket and a thorough cleaning of the second set solved my problem. I used a hose with a sprayer on it and no leak!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote