Meeting a Bear of any kind on a trail! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #41

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: Yep used to scare the Bears now don't even bother them. I dropped it to a 6 and it does the trick stops all the snoring but does fall out occasionally & when it does it wakes me enough to put it back on. I Like it just in the nose now stops problems with the other stuff and rubbing my nose irritating the Basil Cel Carcinoma problems I have there.
If you ever had to burn your arms, face, back of hands, ears along the edge, nose, and some areas of neck one does not have any idea what kind of hell that is.
Stude
Hey, Stude,
I'm sorry to hear about your skin situation. I have rosacea myself, and am all too familiar with the burning feeling that goes on and on and on sometimes for months. I don't know exactly what you must suffer, but I do have a little idea of some level of it, and it is hell.
I've always hoped I don't end up with a C-pap because I also basically cannot sleep...I doze, but can't do it lying down. I have to sit up. Used to be a face sleeper, and could still sleep that way, except I wake up with my face on fire and months of outbreaks ahead as a result. The dozing is so easily interrupted...if I had to wear a device I doubt I'd get more than a few moments at a time.
It's a chore to incorporate all my health solutions into camping; frequent face washing with Selsun blue followed by slathering with milk of magnesia (my doctor told me about it) keeps it at bay--until the first time I let it lapse. Then I play catch-up for days/weeks/months. The idea of having to wear a strapped device over my face gives me shudders.
A nasal fitting would be much easier--seems like.
How's your prognosis for the basal cell carcinoma? Hard to ask you about it, and please don't reply unless you really want to. I don't mean to pry.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Always walk with someone you can out run. You don't have to out run the bear, just the person you are walking with.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #43

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Basil C.C. same every year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hey, Stude,
I'm sorry to hear about your skin situation. I have rosacea myself, and am all too familiar with the burning feeling that goes on and on and on sometimes for months. I don't know exactly what you must suffer, but I do have a little idea of some level of it, and it is hell.
I've always hoped I don't end up with a C-pap because I also basically cannot sleep...I doze, but can't do it lying down. I have to sit up. Used to be a face sleeper, and could still sleep that way, except I wake up with my face on fire and months of outbreaks ahead as a result. The dozing is so easily interrupted...if I had to wear a device I doubt I'd get more than a few moments at a time.
It's a chore to incorporate all my health solutions into camping; frequent face washing with Selsun blue followed by slathering with milk of magnesia (my doctor told me about it) keeps it at bay--until the first time I let it lapse. Then I play catch-up for days/weeks/months. The idea of having to wear a strapped device over my face gives me shudders.
A nasal fitting would be much easier--seems like.
How's your prognosis for the basal cell carcinoma? Hard to ask you about it, and please don't reply unless you really want to. I don't mean to pry.
: starting right now my skin starts to get deep sores which need to be burned off but it is much to hot to do that so I wait until Mid October to start it then it takes a bit of courage to actually do it but once started then it is abuot 6 weeks of hell but my brother has joined up and cousins all have same problem as same skin, some times I can get some of burned off with Nitro but usually it is done by putting Eurodex Cream on Skin, face, nose, ears, arms, back of hands, lips, cut hair back on forhead and shave hair off face to really get it done right.
Lasts about a year then have to do again, is not a cure but if not done then I face Melenoma and that is something I do not want if I want to stay alive.
Now with face thing for years I used the nose piece and at first it was okay but of late I needed to try the nose piece and it works great but occasionally it falls out of wack and wakes me up so I just reset it and go back to sleep, I now get at least 6-9hours of sleep a night, Before C-Pap I was lucky to get 2-3 hours a night and dozed all day long making better half mad at me for not getting anything done.
When I get back end of August it will be hearing aids as left ear is real bad thought right ear is okay but not everyone stands on my good side.
U ought to Try Diabetes and get Neuropathy in the feet where you lose your feeling and have to be real careful not to get sores if that happens you stand a chance of loseing toes, foot, etc. and so on, not looking forward to that part of life. Though my wifes Insurance plan says they will pay for Bionic feet for me.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
: starting right now my skin starts to get deep sores which need to be burned off but it is much to hot to do that so I wait until Mid October to start it then it takes a bit of courage to actually do it but once started then it is abuot 6 weeks of hell but my brother has joined up and cousins all have same problem as same skin, some times I can get some of burned off with Nitro but usually it is done by putting Eurodex Cream on Skin, face, nose, ears, arms, back of hands, lips, cut hair back on forhead and shave hair off face to really get it done right.
Lasts about a year then have to do again, is not a cure but if not done then I face Melenoma and that is something I do not want if I want to stay alive.
Now with face thing for years I used the nose piece and at first it was okay but of late I needed to try the nose piece and it works great but occasionally it falls out of wack and wakes me up so I just reset it and go back to sleep, I now get at least 6-9hours of sleep a night, Before C-Pap I was lucky to get 2-3 hours a night and dozed all day long making better half mad at me for not getting anything done.
When I get back end of August it will be hearing aids as left ear is real bad thought right ear is okay but not everyone stands on my good side.
U ought to Try Diabetes and get Neuropathy in the feet where you lose your feeling and have to be real careful not to get sores if that happens you stand a chance of loseing toes, foot, etc. and so on, not looking forward to that part of life. Though my wifes Insurance plan says they will pay for Bionic feet for me.
Stude

Oh, wow, that's a lot worse than rosacea.

As for the diabetes, thanks, I've already got it. So far, NO numbness, only the constant buzzing pain like bees are stinging (sometimes only crawling and buzzing). Mostly feet, sometimes fingers.

As my friend says, getting old isn't for sissies!
She also says, "Golden years? So where's the GOLD?"

YOU got those bionic feet to look forward to! That's something!

Kai
Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #45

British Columbia
if you have the tingling now the numbness will be next

Quote:
Oh, wow, that's a lot worse than rosacea.

As for the diabetes, thanks, I've already got it. So far, NO numbness, only the constant buzzing pain like bees are stinging (sometimes only crawling and buzzing). Mostly feet, sometimes fingers.

As my friend says, getting old isn't for sissies!
She also says, "Golden years? So where's the GOLD?"

YOU got those bionic feet to look forward to! That's something!

Kai
: while toes go numb some or one of your toes will hurt even more than the others and u will want to chop it off but the say removing a toe here or there is another matter as one has to learn to walk all over again.
I also get it in my lower legs feels like mites are moving around kind of bugs me but it just something else I have to live with, fingers so far are okay.
The C-pap while on this trip I use a battery that gives me two nights of use then have to charge it that is when I plug into the Inverter to bring it up to where I can use it again. When on the battery I do not use distilled water, I just use the air the machine pumps into my nose, but when at home I use only distilled water as house water will destroy the machine over time but can be cleaned out with a little work. Distilled water by the gallon jug is not all that expensive and lasts me around 3-4 weeks or more.
Some times the pain in your toes will drive u batty but it is something u just have to live with and it is not always there so u do get a break now and again, I rub Voltaren into my feet and toes to ease it up somewhat and it does help.
Stude
Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #46

Registry
The pain in the toes isn't always there, you're absolutely right.

I'll check on Voltaren--

Was thinking about how we started this thread, and wondering if the C-Pap gives you enough oxygen to help outrun a bear, or if the weight of the machine would be too much of a burden to be any advantage.

Isn't extra oxygen supposed to make you stronger? Do you ever find that to be the case?

Not, I suppose, that you'd be out hiking with the C-Pap at the ready...

BEST
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #47

British Columbia
C=pap only for sleeping

Quote:
The pain in the toes isn't always there, you're absolutely right.

I'll check on Voltaren--

Was thinking about how we started this thread, and wondering if the C-Pap gives you enough oxygen to help outrun a bear, or if the weight of the machine would be too much of a burden to be any advantage.

Isn't extra oxygen supposed to make you stronger? Do you ever find that to be the case?

Not, I suppose, that you'd be out hiking with the C-Pap at the ready...

BEST
: not running away from bear,, never run away but back away carefully think like your not there and that the bear is not there and carefully back away, C-Pap might help with the other side of life when in bed with the wife but heck I take a lot of drugs for the Diabetes, and I Like my sleep more than a workout plus I'm 72 not much left but traveling and seeing things, working around the yard when home and sleeping so I don't feel the pain.
Stude
Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
: not running away from bear,, never run away but back away carefully think like your not there and that the bear is not there and carefully back away, C-Pap might help with the other side of life when in bed with the wife but heck I take a lot of drugs for the Diabetes, and I Like my sleep more than a workout plus I'm 72 not much left but traveling and seeing things, working around the yard when home and sleeping so I don't feel the pain.
Stude

Kind of a zen approach to bears, then.

I hear you; we're just a bit younger but your lifestyle sounds a lot like ours.

Paul has rheumatoid arthritis and takes Enbrel--before that he was using a cane and going to bed at 6 PM, sometimes could hardly even eat dinner. He has flares sometimes, and cannot stand to be jostled, especially in bed, so we needed a rig with two separate beds. Paid a kind of premium for it, but got it and it's working out fine for him.

Travel, yard work, TV (Netflix) and sleep are our favorites.

And, of course, some computer. I miss that when on the road but refuse to add tech to the process just yet. Maybe later.

BEST
Kai
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #49

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Bear danger

Wonder if a gun would help with a expert shot. Oh sorry it is probably a gun free zone.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #50

Registry
Just read a bear article and they highly recommend NOT using a gun, which tends to just make them very, very angry. Much better to carry and use bear repellant spray, which must be deployed from "not too far away." Under 12 feet or around 7 feet or something.

I worry about overspray and backsplash--what if the wind coats ME with it? I'm already repelled!

But, gun free zone or not, a gun likely isn't the best, first choice when facing a bear.

As some have suggested, taking a slower (than you) "friend" along would be another good possibility.

c
Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #51

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Bear danger

You said "Just read a bear article and they highly recommend NOT using a gun, which tends to just make them very, very angry."
Guess you didn't read my post which said an "EXPERT" shot. Get good and you will never make a bear angry. I have put down many 1800 lb. bull cows with a small 22cal round. I still want to remain at the top of the food chain and also all other humans that may be slower than me.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #52

British Columbia
Daniel in a earlier life on the farm we used a 22 pistol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
You said "Just read a bear article and they highly recommend NOT using a gun, which tends to just make them very, very angry."
Guess you didn't read my post which said an "EXPERT" shot. Get good and you will never make a bear angry. I have put down many 1800 lb. bull cows with a small 22cal round. I still want to remain at the top of the food chain and also all other humans that may be slower than me.
: to put down Farm animals, not something I enjoyed but someone had to do it.
My grandad put a very tall grizzly going after the horses hooked up to his wagon with his wife and kids on board, he shot it with a 22 rifle to shots to the head and it dropped right at the side of the first horse, he said he jumped on the back of the horse to stear it away and put barrel into the Bears mouth this was a pump action. I still have that rifle and it is a wanted gun by a lot of my friends, as these are getting rare.
We in Canada have way different rules about Guns than the USA does, we cannot bear arms or carry them on the body except with a permit at a gun show where the person is drawing & shooting Balloons trying to beat the other fellow.
We have rifles but they set in gun Cabinets bolted to walls of Concrete and are only opened to take to the Rifle Range, or hunting. When I go out on a horse I do not take a gun with me unless I'm really out in Bear Country as I do not think one is needed.
Most of my later life was lived in the city as that is where we both worked no retired we live on the outskirts but for 35 years we had a place on a Lake and we saw lots of bears there Griz, black, Brown etc. Most times a bear will run from u and sometimes they will challenge u if babies in are, best to just slowly back up and when far enough away turn around and walk a little faster U will not see that bear again.
Stude