Memory Foam Mattress topper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Memory Foam Mattress topper?

Good Morning!

So my question is: When your bed is not exactly the "right" dimensions for a real Full sized bed, what have you done that made the mattress topper fit correctly? I was thinking of cutting the edges, but wondered if someone has come up with a better answer?

I am looking at the Costco memory foam with gel mattress topper and my "full" bed is too wide as a twin and too narrow as a full, so the topper is either too small or too large. I was electing to go for a full and cut it down. What have others done and what did you use to cut it? (Thinking of an electric knife, like I did the cushion foam, though the first electric knife broke after the cushions were almost done).

Thanks for any thoughts.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
We just cut the topper to fit and all was good
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Did the same as Jim and all was well also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I have no experience with cutting down mattresses, so can't help you there. I do know that a lot of professionals who cut down foam rubber and styrofoam use long sharp razor knives with a slow slicing cut. Don't know if that would work with "memory foam with gel", though...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have never had to cut one to fit yet,memory foam is pretty flexible and may be able to conform to your less than perfectly sized bed space?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The best device for carving memory foam (other than a hot wire cutter) is an electric carving knife.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I used a strait edge on top, a board underneath, and a utility knife. Worked ok but I bet the electric carving knife is better. I have heard that recommended for other types of foam as well. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
When fitting a mattress that was 1.5" memory foam atop 2.5" regular foam for my teardrop trailer, I knew I had to cut it in half lengthwise in order to make it easier to insert and remove. First, I tried cutting it in half with a filleting knife...lousy results. I cleaned up that edge and finished the job with an electric knife...much better results. Just my experience.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The last one I did I just used scissors, previously however I used an electric carving knife like the pro's use.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I think I'd worry about the gel part. Is it something that could/might leak out and get where you might not want it?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Bedding - (see photos) is the most challenging for storing. Most of the time we keep the bed set up in good weather. I made a mattress topper out of a 2" Queen size thermafoam topper that we bought from Target. I made a pattern by tracing the cushions on big sheets of brown paper (comes on a roll.) I cut the foam with a sharp, good quality bread knife. The knife is about 12" long. Use short back and forth movement, much like an electric knife. I did need to piece one piece. Simply apply contact cement to each edge, wait for them to dry, butt the edges carefully (You only get one try.) The mattress cover is composed of two 23" wide strips covered with 100% cotton knit (think t-shirt fabric) custom covers that double as sheets and zip off for washing. These each can be rolled up and secured with a nylon strap. They fit perfectly in the hatch under the bench.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 024.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 036.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Gilda........what did you do with the seat cushions when you "made the bed"?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Bedding - (see photos) is the most challenging for storing. Most of the time we keep the bed set up in good weather. I made a mattress topper out of a 2" Queen size thermafoam topper that we bought from Target. I made a pattern by tracing the cushions on big sheets of brown paper (comes on a roll.) I cut the foam with a sharp, good quality bread knife. The knife is about 12" long. Use short back and forth movement, much like an electric knife. I did need to piece one piece. Simply apply contact cement to each edge, wait for them to dry, butt the edges carefully (You only get one try.) The mattress cover is composed of two 23" wide strips covered with 100% cotton knit (think t-shirt fabric) custom covers that double as sheets and zip off for washing. These each can be rolled up and secured with a nylon strap. They fit perfectly in the hatch under the bench.
What a great idea, I'm adding another one to my to do list
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a 3" memory foam topper I bought at Costco and the corners just mould into the rounded corners with no problem.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I have never had to cut one to fit yet,memory foam is pretty flexible and may be able to conform to your less than perfectly sized bed space?
Well I'll try this first of course, but I didn't want it bunching up in the corner and being lumpy, or hanging over the side as it is larger (supposedly, we'll see when I get it out of the box )

Then If not, I will cut it, but didn't know how memory foam with gel beads cut...we will see. I'll post here how it works and if the electric knife worked
Thank everyone for your input!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #16

California
Registry
In answer to your question, "What do you do with the cushions when you make the bed?", the mattress topper is simply placed on top of the cushions.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #17

Oregon
Registry
What worked for me on memory foam cutting etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I think I'd worry about the gel part. Is it something that could/might leak out and get where you might not want it?
Quote:
Well, I let the memory foam sit and expand for a few days. It shoved itself up the sides of the rounded corners of the trailer and stuck out, so I marked the corners with a sharpie and then used an electric knife to cut off the excess. I just held the foam up so I wouldn't cut the cushions below and followed my sharpie pattern. It cut like butter! Much better than the regular foam I cut for the cushions. Here is a picture I did after cutting it and here the bed is after I made it. Worked great!
As to worrying about gel beads leaking out, no problem. Gilda, I love how you cut up yours and rolled it up. I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to remove and store the bed. We plan on using it as a bed most times and using the front as the permanent 2 person dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020945.jpg   P1020950.jpg  

Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #18

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Why did you decide to split them that direction? Was it for storage ease?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #19

California
Registry
Good question! We sleep crosswise in the trailer (side to side) since that is the longest position. We each have our own "side" of the bed and know when one is "encroaching" on the other's side (not hard to do). (We actually love to "encroach"). More importantly, by placing the cushions this way we do not have to feel the crosswise seams that would result if we mimicked the original jigsaw of dinette cushions. I have to say the middle division is never annoying as the cushions are SO comfortable. The two pieces fit nicely under the dinette hatch when rolled up.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
I guess I'll finish cutting and glueing the foam to the correct size and then see if I need to cut it in half to store it. I was thinking I would leave it whole if possible