memory foam vs foam rubber mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
I'm going to turn out dinette into a fulltime bed ..

Now the problem is what to use for a mattress and how thick is thick enough..

I was looking at some 10lb memory foam 4" thick on ebay..But I dont know how firm or soft 10lb memory foam is ...they also had 20 and 32lb that is 4" thick ??? I'm confused on which will suit us best

I like a firm but soft bed but I dont wanna sleep on a board either...

also I was reading that tempature greatly effects memory foams firmness or softness... so that makes me think maybe foam rubber in this case might be better but again how thick and what firmness in good ??

Thanks for any info or suggestions .....
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Ive been having the same problem. i was thinking of asking the foam company to send me a sample. I figure i can tell if i have it in my hand.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My wife and I bought some memory foam at Cosco for our at home bed. We are very pleased with it. I don't recall its strenght but we are contemplating getting one for our trailer. Its a bit pricey, but to me worth it.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Phillip...We have an 8" thick full queen size memory foam mattress in "Our Escape Hatch" and it's WAY BETTER than the 6" foam mattress we sleep on in the house.
Maybe I just like sleeping in the trailer tho.
In the cold weather the memory foam loses its memo...but then so do I
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
black_tie_optional.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

We use a 3" thick piece of foam (medium soft) topped with a 2" memory foam and then an egg crate topper..... More comfortable than the million dollar mattress in the house.. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft
We bought an 8" full size mattress from WalMart at the recommendation of several people who attended the "Spring Fling" in LA. Check the WalMart website because they are not sold in their stores. I cut it with an electric knife to fit into our EggCamper. Great sleeping!
Pat
BillPatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
When we re-designed the loft in our Scamp 5er we replaced the bed with a 6" (4" foam with a 2" memory foam layer on top) memory foam mattress from Sleepy Mountain. Trimmed to fit the curves in the loft using an electric turkey carver knife it cost us about $250 (with shipping) and we liked it so much it inspired us to get an even fancier memory foam mattress for our house from Costco ($1100).

I don't know which mattress I like more. The $250 one from eBay or the $1100 mattress from Costco.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I bought a memory foam topper from this place:
http://www.healthyfoundations.com/guide.html
They recommend 3 to 4 lb density, 5 lb being too stiff. Not sure if the "10 lb" one you are looking at really weighs 10 lb per square foot, that seems like it would have to be incredibly rigid... not to mention the foam pad would weigh 110 lb for queen size 4" thick!

A decent quality memory foam is great for sleeping. I used to wake up sore from the mattress, but no longer with the memory foam.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I bought a full size one of these for our Casita. Spent one week sleeping on it. Bought one full size and one king size for house when we retirned home. The king size replaced a latex foam mattress.

Walmart Memory Faom Mattress

They are the only mattresses I can sleep comfortably on after my two back surgeries.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
Well I bought a 4" Cal King memory foam mattress off of Ebay ..its a factory irregular so I guess Im gambling... but I got it at $73.25 w/ free shipping... I figure I can cut it up and make a mattress for the back bed and front bench...if nothing else it will make a good base for a 2" topper ..

I have a 12" memory foam mattress we got at Sam's .. I will say it is the best bed I have every owned ... I dont have back aches anymore ... I used to have alot of lower back pain ...

Plus I cant even tell my wife is in bed or gets up or comes to bed... its SWEET...

But I also paid $700+ for it... I'm trying not to spend that kind of cash on this bed .. but get near the same results..
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We have a mattress from Tempurpedic (queen deluxe) that I have come to love. I had back surgery about 12 years ago and no other mattress has been comfortable. Restless nights sleep, stiff and sore in the morning, aches and pains while laying down led to the purchase of the Tempurpedic. We tried the 12" mattress from Sams but it was uncomfortably hard, and was not representative of the display in the store. The company accepted a receipt of donation to the Salvation Army, and gave us a full refund for the purchase price.

After sleeping on the Tempurpedic, the first camping trip out was to be a new experiment for us. We have a custom made mattress that we purchased for our old teardrop, and had transferred over to our Scamp. Unfortunately we don't want to sleep in our camper anymore. We've become spoiled. The old teardrop mattress is inner coil spring and it's almost painful to sleep on.

We have been trying to find anyone else that has the Tempurpedic that might also have another "cheaper" model that compares, that they could recommend for us to fit to the camper. We've read good things about a few of the e-bay brands, but after the results of the Sams club mattress (also good reviews) we're unsure about taking another risk. Unfortunately the Tempurpedic is cost prohibitive for a camper mattress right now.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
We bought latex foam and put it over our cushions. It is the 'real' foam rubber, since foam rubber is no longer really rubber. We bought them from a place that sells both, plus memory foam, and has good prices. Although latex foam is pricey, we bought form their sale page of returns, seconds, odd sizes and saved. Latex foam is VERY comfy and does not have a stinky off-gassing smell we lived with when we bought the 'regular' foam for our previous trailer.

The site is Foamorder.com and they have some good articles to read about the different types.

Check out the clearance listings in the menu.

Sweet dreams!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote