When I got home I tried using a monkey wrench which did not work. I wound up taking the metal base plate from under the dining table off ( stuck to the vertical tube support ). The base of the tube was now exposed through the base plate. After soaking the stubborn cylinder in some screw loose once again, I put it and the metal base in a vice and using a rubber mallet hit the end two or three times. It popped right off.
I coated the cylinder with stopcock grease to ensure that it would be easier next time I wanted to get the table removed from the cylinder. Hope I'm right about that.
I want to thank everybody for all their expertise. You all had some really great ideas out there thank you.