Metal pole removal from scamp RV dining table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Metal pole removal from scamp RV dining table

Metal pole refuses to push and pull an RV dining table. Can't remove metal pole
robertmarchiony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
It is a folding leg is it not? It does not get removed. To set up or take the table down, simply fold the leg. If it is stuck, lubricate the hinge, depress the spring loaded bar and open or close the leg.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmarchiony View Post
Metal pole refuses to push and pull an RV dining table. Can't remove metal pole
lubrication lubrication lubrication
Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Many have had that problem. Usually all it takes is a bit of lubrication. I had to replace mine because I bent it, the new one would come down, I released it by pushing the metal slide to release it. Then put a bid of petroleum jelly on it. That was about 6 years ago. It's worked as it should since then.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

Sorry to get you guys all off track on this. I'm talking about the small dining table that also makes into a bed. It has a single pole that runs down into a metal base at the floor. The section that has been giving me trouble is the end that screws into the table. I have lubricated it with "Screw Loose" a couple of times. Written on the pole is a short message saying push/pull. I've even used rubber gloves to give me more help in the twisting of the pole. I was thinking today I'll just unscrew the base from the tabletop to see why this thing refuses to budge.
This site is great thanks for all your help!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The most common table "Poles" used in FGRV's are simple tapered tubes that fit into a matching receiver. If, for some reason the upper end is seizing into the table part why not just replace both parts, less than $20, and get rid of the problem. The tubes come in standard lengths, measure yours before ordering.
If you get it apart, a simple. temporary fix is to put a layer of "Saran Wrap" (sp?) plastic over the pole before putting the table in place.

BTW: Give us a hint in your sign-on about what trailer you have and where you live.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
If all else fails use a large hammer. Lol just kidding don't do that.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
Have u tried using a pipe wrench ?
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #9

Have not used a plumbing wrench, but was considering channel locks. I do have a plumbing wrench and I'll give it a shot. Thank you all for your suggestions. Will let you know the results when I get back from my road trip.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmarchiony View Post
Have not used a plumbing wrench, but was considering channel locks. I do have a plumbing wrench and I'll give it a shot. Thank you all for your suggestions. Will let you know the results when I get back from my road trip.
Use a pipe wrench or channel lock, but pad the jaws with a rag or paper towels. Rubber work gloves sounds like a good idea.

I had a similar problem, at one time the plastic tapered end of the pole came off. I re-glued it in place and made sure that the bond was without voids. Also cleaned the surfaces of both tapers (inside and outside). I marked the orientation of the pole so it is inserted the same way every time. It works pretty well now. Some wiggling is needed to separate the parts after one of us leans on the table too hard.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Metal tapered dinning table post

My dinning table pole was stuck and rusted. I used WD40 and a strap wrench along with wiggling the pole as I turned it. After removing it I cleaned it and the floor mount and sprayed it with silicon dry lube.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Lol! I found this thread funny as I can' together ours to hold well. I have even used a board on top and whacked it hard but the table still wobbled. Finally made the table permanent.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #13

Name: A J
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Minnesota
shocking... simply shocking!

Such a simple thing can cause so much grief!! But my best guess for the answer is (like previously stated) Don't force it , get a bigger hammer. Tap the pole sideways to shock the joint. If it doesn't want to crack loose, hit it a little harder. If it keeps on refusing to budge just keep hitting harder. At some point you may need to protect the pipe from the blow with a block of wood. This will help spread out the shock. The pipe wrench idea is good only up to the point where you crimp and damage the pipe. Just hit it hard enough to make it vibrate. And if you really have to wale on it, spread out the shock of the hammer blow with a block of wood to spread the blow and protect the pipe. worse case senario.... you were likely to replace it anyway.
AJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Use a strap wrench... if you don't know what a strap wrench look it up.. It has no jaws and will not damage the pole!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #15

When I got home I tried using a monkey wrench which did not work. I wound up taking the metal base plate from under the dining table off ( stuck to the vertical tube support ). The base of the tube was now exposed through the base plate. After soaking the stubborn cylinder in some screw loose once again, I put it and the metal base in a vice and using a rubber mallet hit the end two or three times. It popped right off.
I coated the cylinder with stopcock grease to ensure that it would be easier next time I wanted to get the table removed from the cylinder. Hope I'm right about that.
I want to thank everybody for all their expertise. You all had some really great ideas out there thank you.

Tags
scamp