Mice in my Casita. How do they get in? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Mice in my Casita. How do they get in?

Greetings,
Our 2005 Casita has been sitting in our car port and was becoming more and more nasty smelling. After adding some deodorizer with no effect, I started looking around and found evidence of mice under the sink and in the silverware drawer. Any ideas how they could get in? I tried dryer sheets as a deterrent and have trapped 3 so far. I cannot find an entry point so far. Help!
JoeNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Joe. They can get in through a hole as small as a ball point pen. Two possible suggestions are maybe to get your Casita’s underbody spray foamed and use MouseFree. The later is a sticky spray which gets applied to the underside. Mice don’t like sticky things.
Don’t sweep droppings because of Hantevirus! This is deadly and if you don’t know about it, please read CDC’s site. Take precautions!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNelson View Post
Greetings,
Our 2005 Casita has been sitting in our car port and was becoming more and more nasty smelling. After adding some deodorizer with no effect, I started looking around and found evidence of mice under the sink and in the silverware drawer. Any ideas how they could get in? I tried dryer sheets as a deterrent and have trapped 3 so far. I cannot find an entry point so far. Help!
All they need is a opening 1/4 inch in diameter or above.
So if you have any openings the size of a wood pencil they can squeeze in.
I've had them chew the foam used to seal plumbing in on other trailers to get in. And once in they are determined little critters to keep coming in. I know you will hear about peppermint oil and dryer sheets and all the other stuff that supposedly keeps them out. Once in they ignore it.
Lights and ultrasonic ( rat blasters ) such will deter them before they come in but not after. Traps and copper mesh are all I found that works after. Do not use poison unless you want to tear everything apart trying to find the source of the horrible odor. Its amazing how much stink a tiny mouse carcass can produce!
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
If you find a hole please update and let us know where it is located. I have been over my Casita and do not see any holes but knowing where others have found holes may help locate if I do.

Ck your furnace vents, also your outside refrigerator units, top and bottom. It seems to me it would be fairly easy for the little frights to get through the Air conditioner, up top.

My other concern is to have the little buggers chew my outside wires and hoses.

Also, if they have found your trailer, have you checked your vehicles?

Dirt daubers are the other things to keep a lookout for. Their mud nests can really mess things up.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Joe,

Similar situation could be as I had with my new 2010 Scamp. I was warned by a friend/participant on our Scampers@yahoo groups. Sure enough, when I looked under there, it was a place where mice/bugs or any other miniature wildlife game could go. Not to mention the RAW edge on the hole they cut for the drain and left it also to the elements. I took care of it as you can see in this photo. I did this within the 1st couple of months of ownership! The "brillo"-looking material (actually a 'scrubber') is actually "copper"...not steel. Here's a link to my fix:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/4734155581/

Also, look for "shreds" or sawdust etc where a rat could have knawed. They are HORRIBLE about making their way into places unbelievable. I too have experienced here at work where they knaw about a 3/8" MAX sized hole to crawl through. Aggravating lil creatures they are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNelson View Post
Greetings,
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am a bit curious. I have seen mice in my back yard, but I have never noticed any sign of them in any of my several Trilliums. Are these brand of trailers especially mouse resistant? The water tank drain would provide ample entry room, but it is in the middle of the fibreglass surface, nowhere near the frame, or anything that could be climbed. Or, can mice climb gel coat?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Let me knock on fiberglass , but I havent had any in my Scamp either. BUT, we do have an outside cat.

Seriously: "Sealed" is the key and mine is on jack stands- no rubber on the ground....all steel. We keep it clear of any food....no ants!! They get through holes MUCH MUCH smaller than mice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am a bit curious. I have seen mice in my back yard, but I have never noticed any sign of them in any of my several Trilliums. Are these brand of trailers especially mouse resistant? The water tank drain would provide ample entry room, but it is in the middle of the fibreglass surface, nowhere near the frame, or anything that could be climbed. Or, can mice climb gel coat?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
We have always used mothballs as a mouse deterrent. Don’t know if they work, but in about 30 years of “trailering” we’ve never had mice inside. I can tell you that while wintering our pop-up in our garage, we had mice in the garage but not in the trailer. We put a couple “baggies” of mothballs inside the trailer on the floor and open doors, cabinets and leave them there all winter long. The only negative of this is the mothball odor that takes a few days to air out of the camper each spring. Better that than any mouse damage! Good luck!
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I always make sure to take out all food of any kind. It's just as cold outside as it is in the camper so there is nothing to attract them. I vacuum well and spray with OdoBan and have had no mice since I've done this.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Joe, you might also look at the electrical shore power hole. The mice could be coming in by climbing up the electrical cord and through the “mouse hole” where the cord exits the camper. We have placed a metal “pot scrubber” around the cord and tucked tightly inside with the cord door shut. I am going to change over to a marine shorepower cord setup this week, not because we have had any problem with mice getting in, but because we have twice had the cord work it’s way out and drag on the ground as we were traveling.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Yah, I forgot about the power cord. I use a 15 amp power inlet:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ded-50948.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Joe
I closed off the power cord door. I installed an outside power outlet as an attempt to keep ants and critters out.

Can't seem to upload pic. This is on Amazon:

Furrion F30INS-SS Stainless 30 Amp Marine/RV Inlet
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.12.27 AM.png  
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Joe
I closed off the power cord door. I installed an outside power outlet as an attempt to keep ants and critters out.

Can't seem to upload pic. This is on Amazon:

Furrion F30INS-SS Stainless 30 Amp Marine/RV Inlet

+10 Big advantage of the detachable power cords. Should be standard on all trailers.

I have mouse bait box outside under my trailer and another one inside. At least you can inspect and see if any of the bait is gone.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
If you can find a small opening hole they can use for entrance, use steel wool to plug it. Also use it to fill in around the opening for your power cord when camped. Every year we have camped at Blue Mesa, Co. we have been covered up in mice. Just when you think you have every thing plugged, your trapped will go off inside the unit. Tough to stay ahead of them. I think I posted somewhere about using a 5 gallon bucket about half full of water and peanut butter smeared inside the upper portion and a plank for them to walk up on. They fall in and drown trying to eat the peanut butter. Not very humane but it works.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #15

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
We also use moth balls in mesh bags, but on the outside of the camper and on the tires. Our Casita is stored in a covered slip, but on a dirt floor so critters could potentially burrow under the doors of the storage unit. I also use Irish Spring soap and use a potato peeler to put shreds of it at the storage door and around the outside of the camper. We wrap all wiring in aluminum foil. So far so good over the past 4 years. Good luck! Rodents can be pretty sneaky!
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Rodent control

All good suggestions. I thought I might add some information. There is a very good company in East Grandby Connecticut called Wildlife Control Supplies. They sell excellent lines of products including the aforementioned copper mesh and anti rodent foam to seal small holes and cracks in buildings and equipment like campers. The representative you get on the phone is a real person, knowledgeable and with patience. I have no business connection with them. I bought a foam gun, foam and copper mesh from them last fall to seal the perimeter of our storage pole building and that baby is now tighter than bark on a tree. No mice, no bugs, no visible light around the perimeter or under the door seal, that’s the way I like it.
The trailer is a significant investment, it does not bother me one bit to spend a little money on these things and moth balls etc to protect it. We live in the country, we do not have a cat, I do not put traps in the building because I don’t like to invite them in. You cannot underestimate the sense of smell wild animals of any type and mice, voles and shrews are no exception. I’ve studied and experienced animal control for a lifetime.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Once you find the entry point I suggest snap traps and peanut butter. It takes a week or two to get them all so if you go a couple of days without catching anything don't assume you're done. Happy hunting.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
suggestion

Joe,
Little buggers are very adept at getting in so my take is that blocking entrances is futile. We use a botanical rodent repellent called Fresh Cab, it uses Balsam Fir oil which smells good to most folks. I saw one walking by the Scamp last summer holding his nose!
John
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Peppermint Oil on a cotton ball,,seems to help keep them out ??it works for us??about 10-12 ball spread inside camper,,also peppermint oil on your clothes repels wood ticks in Michigan,,plus it smells good ??
Cheers Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I think I posted somewhere about using a 5 gallon bucket about half full of water and peanut butter smeared inside the upper portion and a plank for them to walk up on. They fall in and drown trying to eat the peanut butter. Not very humane but it works.
My brother-in-law rents out storage space for classic cars in his pole shed, so it is important to stay ahead of the mice, and he says this works the best of anything he has tried.

Obviously has to be above freezing to work, though.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita