Microwave or Convection Oven - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I just bought my first "egg", a Casita 17'. I'm so excited! These forums helped so much as I was shopping for my little treasure. Thank you all for all your good advice. I hope you can help me with one more.

The previous owners had a counter top microwave inside the carpet lined cabinet. I would like to use a small convection oven. Can I put it in the cabinet. I called the Casita Service center and was told to be careful due to carpet, the man gave me his "opinion", he said he wouldn't do it but many people do.

Any advice?

pamtoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Our 16' Scamp has a cupboard with an outlet for a microwave. It came with carpeting on the shelf and the outlet built in at the surface of the shelf. I immediately thought "Oh that carpeting is going to be nice if we ever spill anything!" and "Won't it be fun when a liquid is slopped into the outlet?!" I have moved the outlet to above the microwave and am replacing the carpet with vinyl flooring. Also adding vinyl/rubber weather stripping to the edges of the shelf so any spills do not run down the inside of the cabinet. I don't have any experience with a convection oven, so can't advise regarding the heat.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've been trying to make the same decision. I've been keeping track of how much I use each, and so far the oven wins. There isn't much that requires a microwave. Of course, there are microwaves that include a convection oven, so you could have both!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium
I've got a 17' Casita with a microwave/convection oven combination. There are vents on both ends of the microwave compartment. I took off the door. There has been no overheating problem and I love the oven.

donw
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We have a 900 watt convection/microwave. We've never used the convection feature, but use the microwave when we have hookups.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave