Microwaves-blinking lights? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've pulled out the Target Chefmate microwave and could just exchange it for one that doesn't groan, but I'm thinking about just returning it and trying a different brand. But I bought this one because it had dials, not buttons, and no LED display. I looked at a small GE but it has an LED clock- is that going to be flashing every time the power comes back on, if it isn't reset?

Do the LED ones all flash?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

Bobbie
My Panasonic does not blink after a outage outage.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mine doesn't have a clock, consequently... no blink
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #4

Registry
I guess I can check that in the store. Plug it in, then unplug it, then plug it back in. (While the salesperson hovers...)

Bobbie
Old 09-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My microwave oven at home blinks ("88:88") when the power comes back on, but it stops (and just shows " : ") if I just hit the stop/clear button. Yes, it's the clock function that leads to this. I wouldn't mind hitting that button once each time power is turned on in the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Take some black electrical tape and place it over the clock because time means nothing when you're camping anyway.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When I was first contemplating Full Timing, I almost bought one of those small MWs with the mechanical timer for exactly that reason, then decided that I wasn't likely to have shore power where I was likely to be camping.

Perhaps one with a back-up battery?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Emerson makes a small 600 watt microwave that has the mechanical dial and no LED. We have one that works well, but bought a second for another purpose and it was very noisy in use.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Emerson makes a small 600 watt microwave that has the mechanical dial and no LED. We have one that works well, but bought a second for another purpose and it was very noisy in use.

Vivian

Yeah, that's like the one I have (not Emerson, but cheap.) The one at work is fine, the one for the trailer is noisy. I am thinking I'd rather have a more consistent model.

Bobbie
Old 09-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had a 600W one once and it would not pop the corn right. Heated it way to slow and then wound up burning what popped first in order to pop the rest of the bag. We got a 900W and it pops great. Yea, we only pop corn in the thing and defrost meat.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My Toshiba 700 watt Microwave does not flash. It resets the clock to 1:00 upon being plugged in, and if I don't reset it, It just tells me how many hours and minutes I have been camping so far...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Ahhhh. Das Bliken Lights.

The college I got my first degree from had an IBM 370 mainframe computer, operated by a formidable fellow called "Old Swede." He was a crusty old guy who kept track of how many seconds of computer time we used, how many pages we printed, and so on. Use too much of anything . . . and your job would only be run if no one else was using the computer. These were the days of IBM cards and tape reels that spun back and forth. Our six hard drives had a total capacity of 420 megabytes.

Anyway, all our compile and statistics jobs had to be submitted to Old Swede on IBM 80 cards. We were not to touch the computer. Ever. Old Swede had a sign up over the computer console that read:

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mitten grabben.

Ist easy schnappen der springen werk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.

Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen.

Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.

There were a lot of blinking lights in those days . . .

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Ah for the trip down memory lane. I learned to keypunch in 1975 on an IBM 029 machine - it was a big deal when we went up to the 129, which "verified" the punch job - you had to retype all the cards again & if there was a mistake it would let you know - then you had to decide if your first punches were right & the verify was wrong! All programs were stored on cards in boxes all over you office. Heaven forbid you drop the boxes you'd have to sort them all back in order on a big old sorting machine. We also had that cute posting about das blinken lights.
Sorry to diverge from the thread....
Connie
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote