Mini-Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I admit it, I'm in a quandary. The Burro bathroom has an Elixir mini vent (nominally a 9" square size in a 9.5" square cutout). Bigger vents will not fit, and Elixir seems to have a monopoly on this size.

I could replace it for the second time, but it appears to be a never-ending cycle. Apart from finally springing a leak, the originally "Polar White" reliably changes to "Sahara at dusk" within about a year. Actually it is a piece of junque. I could rework it, paint it with plastic paint, etc. but that would probably cut the light transmitted by a fair piece.

For a king's ransom I could order a hatch from West Marine, but the opening mechanisms appear to be more cumbersome, especially with a screen in place.

I can pretty easily make a skylight and look for a power vent for the wall or some such solution. Question: does anyone have a bead on a replacement from another manufacturer that has more of a build quality to it? Maybe an OEM for one of the current trailers which does not show up on the retail market?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Per, for my money I went with the fantastic fan. It means cutting the hole bigger, but you'll appreciate the extra air flow.(providing you have power there)

Trillium used to have the small vents, but in metal

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Per,
Have you contacted Reace at Escape?
Standard Roof Vent in Bathroom
My old eyes judge that to be your size, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you go with any plastic-type vent again... I'd suggest painting it BEFORE the first installation, especially since you know the plastic doesn't age well. If you paint it, it should last a number of years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #5

Registry
Joe: Unfortunately the roof curves drastically on two opposite sides of the vent. Putting in a Maxxfan where the FantasticFan is now would free it up for bathroom use, but no way will it fit.

Frederick: It looks right to me too. I'd better contact Reace.

Donna: Apart from the diminished amount of light, I'd paint it, and you can bet I'd do it before installation. In fact, I'd paint it on the inside too. I even went on a couple of Yurpeen sites to see what they have, with no luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
WHAT are you doing in there to make it crack????

My seems fine. The color. yeah, it's a bit off.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #7

Registry
Color is more than a bit off alright, but I haven't quite pinpointed the source of the leak. I suspect in the hinge area.

I turn the stereo down when showering, calms me down, so I don't think I caused the leak. Any damage was done from the outside, likely by one of your flying monkeys or one of the cats from the same source.

I covered the hatch with green plastic attached with duct tape. Better looking than the hatch. Will fix this when the rain stops (about a week before Bullards I reckon). Maybe I'll do more mods on the inside for a while.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
at least it's the bathroom... could be worse
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Per, try some of the rv salvage places like RV DR. George they might have one of the old all metal vents
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #10

Registry
I emailed Reace, and got a prompt answer (no surprise there). The vent in the Escape is the same one as that in the Burro, and he knows of no other manufacturer making that size.

So, I may go to the paint option along with modifying it to take the little fan I installed. If the reduction in the light coming through is too irritating I'll just have to construct a small additional skylight. Thanks to all for the suggestions!