Missing screw for Boler electric hatch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Missing screw for Boler electric hatch

It's funny how you don't lose something until someone says "don't lose that screw!" Which is what happened to me this weekend.

Apparently I did not get the screw onright on the outside hatch for the refrigerator. After a few miles, I looked back to see the hatch ajar, still attached by the remaining screw. I went to the hardward store, but the guy gave me one that doesn't match the thread (yes, I brought the remaining screw with me).

I have a 77 Boler. The frig hatch has two screws in the bottom and 4 clips in at the top.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to obtain this vital little piece of hardware? Or what the exact size/type this one is? Duck tape is working fine for now, but a new set of screws (the old ones were rusty anyway) would be awesome. And maybe this time they won't pop off.

Thanks!
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Small machine screws come in different threads for the same diameter. For instance a #10 screw comes in 24 and 32 threads per inch. The best way to match them is the lay the two screws together so the threads intersect. If the same thread pitch, they match perfectly. If not they will not fit tightly together. You can also try them on the same nut to ensure they both screw into the threads.

Home Depot and Lowes have stainless steel screws, which are preferable.

Also, if you have a Fastenal location near you, they have everything, with knowledgeable staff.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex;jsessionid=2y6SQy8hk1t3hfGzXflf1DvJpn w4SJzFW34fzw89vGfLLTby4WVy!-611242241!669714547
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jamie,
It sounds to me that you have a Dometic VT-24-1 hatch. If so, don't trust the duct tape get the right screws.

I think that I posted a picture of mine somewhere after I retreived off the highway. Amazing what a few transport trucks can do to a piece of stamped metal.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi, Paul Nieumeister (sp?) found one for me several years ago. He offered two, I took one, maybe he still has the other. Des.
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
That is good to know Des,
I need a pair. The replacement I found uses a smaller machine screw from the inside and wing nuts on the exterior.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
That is good to know Des,
I need a pair. The replacement I found uses a smaller machine screw from the inside and wing nuts on the exterior.

Hi Roy, I did that fine fix for a day or two until I got two new screws with wide black plastic tops, 10/32, which fit perfectly after I also bought a tap wrench and plug tap to clean out the rust and buildup inside the hole! Which is probably why the screws haven't fit well and popped off. Now, the panel fits tightly and I have new screws that fit. Another lost screw cost me $16 (parts) and a little do-it-myself hardware education. Good luck!
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
I modified the reefer hatch on my Trillium. I drilled out the original two holes in the lower corners and installed a nut and bolt with the threads sticking out. The inner nut holds the bolt in place, permanently. I use a butterfly nut on the outside to secure the cover. By stressing the cover with a slight twist there is enough tension on it to allow me to hand-tighten the butterfly nuts and they hold tight [almost like a lock washer would]. I will post pics if I can get a close up.
Scouter Dave
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Reefer cover mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
I will post pics if I can get a close up.
Here's the pictures.
This works a lot better than the sheet metal screws that were there.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1516.jpg   100_1517.jpg  

100_1518.jpg   100_1519.jpg  

Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You could also pick up a knurled knob with a threaded inner hole fairly cheaply, though I'm sure this works fine.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
When I have to match "unknown" threads and still have a sample machine screw or bolt I try the different nuts to see what nut fits the threads then I know the threads of my machine screw or bolt. Actually I do it even when I'm pretty darn sure what thread size I'm looking at. Measure twice.... make fewer trips to the hardware store.

Also a new nut can be run up and down the threads of a bolt to help clean them if you don't have the right die. Same for new bolt in threads. Sometimes I pick up an extra to use to clean the threads before I run the "real" one in.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler