Modifications - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP

Hi Out There...I recently purchased a 2010 13' Scamp. Everything about it is in excellent condition but have thought about painting the cabinet door fronts to match the fiberglass interior. Will this devalue my investment?

pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Hard to tell the effect on value but the color chossen and the quality of the paint job would also be factors.

There're been lots of photos posted with painted cabinet doors. Some look quite nice and others maybe a little too bright for my tastes

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrat's Emily! Don't forget pic's!

Personally, I say do what makes you happy. Paint if you want, I am not a purest and I don't freak out on lil things like painted cabinet doors! Make it yours and enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Congrat's Emily! Don't forget pic's!

Personally, I say do what makes you happy. Paint if you want, I am not a purest and I don't freak out on lil things like painted cabinet doors! Make it yours and enjoy!

X2 on all the above...will add my own Congrats and welcome.

As the ole saying goes "Have it your way" and have fun
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Name: Gayle
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper "EPod"
I say paint the doors. The first thing I did after buying my EggCamper was take off the cabinet doors and paint them and I am happy I did so. I personally think painting the doors is no different than changing curtains or cushions. If/when you sell it, the next owner can easily paint the doors to something that suits them.
Ms. Gayle 2010 EggCamper (Purchased April 2012)
Camped in 2012-IA, MO, NE, WY, MT, UT, NM, AZ, TX/2013-AR, LA, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, KS, CO/2014-FL, MO, MN, MI, WI, IA/2015-SD, IA, MO, OK, TX/2016-AR, MS, FL, MO
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I think buyers are looking more for function than for how original a trailer is. Done right, painted doors will improve the value. Done wrong, decrease the value.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I say paint. Be one of one rather than one of many. We've seen doors removed and curtains put up in their place, custom woodburned and painted doors, plexiglass doors, picture framed doors with wall paper insets, diamond plate doors, etc. etc. And yes, paint!

I think they all reflect the owners of the trailer and this one is YOURs.

Ohhhh and yes, please take before and after pictures and share with us!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Name: PAT
Smile GREAT IDEAS . . . Never thought of picture frames for doors.

Yes, I say paint the cabinet doors. Put your colors in that little egg and make it your own. Paint is the greatest decorating tool around--go for it. Lucky you to find your camper. I am getting discouraged and don't think I will ever find my baby.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
I agree with others, decorate and paint your Scamp the way you like. Here is an option to consider. You could replace the original doors (store them) with wood doors that you paint. This way you can always revert to the "original" look of the factory-installed doors. You might also end up with better quality doors since the originals are made of pressed wood with vinyl veneer and your replacements could be of real wood. You'll need to decide if it is worth the expense and effort to do this.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote