Modifying brand new Scamp door latch? Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
California
Modifying brand new Scamp door latch? Help!

Hey All!

We have a brand new 13' Scamp, had it about a month. It has the newer style latches.

I'm the only one in the family who can close the door, the kids can't even open it. Honestly, it takes enough force to close that I'm worried about the long term stress on the latches and door frame.

I know people have shimmed the older style door latches to make them work better, but I'm not seeing how that will work with this setup. The actual latch lives inside the box covered in rat fur, so shimming the handle+plate back won't move the latch at all that I can see. Pictures below

It feels like maybe the other side of the door, on the catch, is where I should be focused? I've searched, but only found help for the older style handles. Has anyone made these newer handles more usable?

Pictures:

bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 87 13'Scamp Deluxe
Nevada
Registry
Latch Problems

Hey Ben...I have had the same problem. Check the screws on the latch plates. The should all be flat head screws. If they aren't, change them. Good Luck.
Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

California
Looks like it's flat heads if this is the plate you are talking about:

The wear marks don't seem to have those catching on anything or even close.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
1. I would not do anything that I could not undo. In another 30 days I'll bet the seal will compress enough to make it a little easier, and in a year you dont want a gap because of a mod you did.

2. Since its a newer latch and only handful of people will have experience with it, I would call Evelands and ask their advice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
Looks like it's flat heads if this is the plate you are talking about:

The wear marks don't seem to have those catching on anything or even close.
Yep...those are the screws I'm talking about. Are the ones on the door frame the same?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

California
The other side has entirely different attachments, they are riveted and facing a different direction so I don't think they are conflicting. Also no wear marks.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #7

Nevada
Registry
Well that is different. I would have to go with Gordon's suggestion. Call Scamp.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp door

I agree, give it some time.

When I replaced the door seal on our16 with the new seal style it was difficult to close the door. After a few weeks, the new seal compressed a bit and it works fine.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would put some "light" oil on it. It's metal to metal there and probably "grabbing".

Another thought, pull (if inside) or push (if on the outside) then activate the latch. The added lip on the door seal makes the door tight as I've read. I put the D seal on mine and a new latch by FIC similar to that one and it's a DREAM update!

Again, make sure the latch is working ok with the door OPEN. If not, it could be binding inside?? If so, you will have to disassemble the latch to oil it or try to find what's binding. But my guess is on lightly oiling the striker plate/latch and using the push/pull method until the seal gets seated better.

LET US KNOW!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

California
So I took the advice, and contacted Scamp like I probably should have done first.

They were awesome, responded quickly and suggested I give the striker in the door frame a little careful persuasion with a rubber mallet to move it about 1/16". I did so, and the door works perfectly now. My 9 year old is now able to easily open and close it from inside and out. It's great!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow..that sounds risky "cracking" the fiberglass. I guess it's strong enough in that area they knew it wouldnt hurt. Remember, if the door/seal gets loose, you can reverse the operation .

Darral (Glad you got it figured out!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
So I took the advice, and contacted Scamp like I probably should have done first.

They were awesome, responded quickly and suggested I give the striker in the door frame a little careful persuasion with a rubber mallet to move it about 1/16". I did so, and the door works perfectly now. My 9 year old is now able to easily open and close it from inside and out. It's great!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Scamps solution: A bigger hammer.. LOL

Glad you didn't crack the fiberglass.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Wow..that sounds risky "cracking" the fiberglass. I guess it's strong enough in that area they knew it wouldnt hurt. Remember, if the door/seal gets loose, you can reverse the operation .

Darral (Glad you got it figured out!)
Yeah, that was my big concern as well. It seemed to work, and I'm very confident I didn't damage the fiberglass.

I also was happy the "solution" is reversible, and infinitely adjustable over time.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Door

When we picked up our Scamp 16 over a year ago the person who gave us the "tour" before we drove it away said NEVER slam the door. He explained it would crack the fiberglass around the striker.

Now we have the older door handle and not the new one but I always heeded his advice. Our door seal new made the door really hard to open or close. After a year no issues at all.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I designed mine with an adjustable striker, but after a few years when I wanted a minor adjustment, a judicious tap with a moderate hammer worked perfectly, so I have never had to use the adjusters...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0092.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp