Moisture Dripping from Below Rear Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Moisture Dripping from Below Rear Window

Two questions... two notes! (don't want to muddy the water, eh?)

The last couple of times we've been out with the Scamp there has a been a wet spot coming down from the lower-right corner of the rear window of our '98 Scamp. Now the weird part... it's not been raining. We've been camping up on the north shore of Lake Superior, so it's been pretty humid with a lot of condensation in the night. Any guesses?

Gary
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Condensation is a problem. I find I need to keep some side windows open to avoid - a maxxi vent on a side window helps a lot. The weep holes on the window may also be plugged with something - pop the plastic covers off of them from the outside and try running some plastic line (from a weed wacker) through the holes to clear them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Keep the upper vent open too. And if you're cooking inside (even coffee) and you have a power vent... turn that on. There is a post (somewhere) that details how many quarts of moisture the human body generates between breathing in/out and perspiration during sleep. That water has to go someplace and the windows always seem to be the magnet.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Helite
Could it be water from the air conditioner?
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
No AC the last time. We LOVE the North Shore!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Keep the upper vent open too. And if you're cooking inside (even coffee) and you have a power vent... turn that on. There is a post (somewhere) that details how many quarts of moisture the human body generates between breathing in/out and perspiration during sleep. That water has to go someplace and the windows always seem to be the magnet.
Have to agree 100% with Donna here. I actually performed a little experiment during a camping trip. One night the vent was slightly opened the other it was closed. BIG difference in the morning with interior humidity. Actually felt a little wet if you will when the vent was closed. BTW, we had two adults and two children in the camper.
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
No AC the last time. We LOVE the North Shore!
Hi: fusedlight...Best thing I did to our former Boler was to install a MaxxFan in place of the roof vent. It can be left open in a torrential rain and no leaks. I'm always concerned if there's wet spots when I wake up. I know we don't have a water bed in the 5.0!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
MaxxFan open.jpg   MaxxFan Finished.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
Alf... how hard is it to put that fan in? I've been thinking of that. How do you wire it in?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I'm interested in finding out about the MaxxFan, too. We just got back from a 2.5 week trip to Juneau, Alaska in our 1973 Boler and had lots of problems with condensation so now we're looking at fan options.

Fusedlight, I agree with everyone else that your "leak" is condensation. We live in a very dry place and so haven't had much of an issue...but once we got to the coastal rainforest of Juneau, where it rained pretty much everyday, we couldn't believe how wet things got just from condensation. We found that leaving the windows and roof vent wide open during the day, plus cracking them at night and running a small space heater really helped. Luckily we were in a USFS campground with electrical hookups.

I also kept a dish towel handy for wiping the walls and window bases dry regularly. That helped to stop things from getting wet just from brushing up against the walls.
KatieA is offline   Reply With Quote