Moisture under cushions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Moisture under cushions?

I have noticed that when I lift the cushions on the dinette there is always moisture under the cushions.This is not a leak because even if there is no rain for a while the moisture is still there.What causes this and what can I do about it?
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brian Bran...It's most likely trapped condensation caused by unheated space under the benches. Usually those spaces aren't insulated and are much colder than above them. That's also why most original cushions had vinyl on one side. It helps to stand the cushions on edge and open the access tops for air circulation, or remove them for longer storage times.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Yep, same thing happens to mine during long term storage, it's condensation.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I keep all my cushions stored inside the house when trailer is not in use. Also keeps them from getting musty smelling.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I made the bottom side of my cushions vinyl. easier to clean
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I keep the cushions standing on an edge when not in use. And after camping, I put the Dri-Z-Air in a tub in the sink to draw all the moisture out of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Thanks for all the advice.Looks like when I finish my reupholstery project I will be standing them up during storage and getting some Dri-Z Air.Where can I get that from?
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
Thanks for all the advice.Looks like when I finish my reupholstery project I will be standing them up during storage and getting some Dri-Z Air.Where can I get that from?
I purchase it locally (Bi-Mart) but it's also available at the big box stores, this is from Amazon so you'll know what to look for: Dri-Z-Air Unit, Moisture ABSORBER, Removes Moisture from The Interiors#

I get a bag of crystals on sale for 99 cents and go through 2-3 bags a year.

I like the fact it's a passive system. Make CERTAIN you put the canister in a plastic tub... the crystals are corrosive and will pit a SS sink.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Might be a dumb question.

I've noticed that some benches have vents built into them. Is there a differnce between those that have the small vents built into the benches and those that don't?

Maybe it is time to do a test run, install vents in one side and not the other
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

I don't notice any moisture from the benches.... it's on the formica table top when I wake up and go to put the bed back into table position.

That moisture, etc. has to go someplace.

Here's an interesting article, not for the squimish: House Dust Mites, HYG-2157-97
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
I have noticed that when I lift the cushions on the dinette there is always moisture under the cushions.This is not a leak because even if there is no rain for a while the moisture is still there.What causes this and what can I do about it?
I'm guessing this problem is on a Scamp Standard with fiberglass benches? I have never seen this particular problem on our dlxe which has plywood benches.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm guessing this problem is on a Scamp Standard with fiberglass benches? I have never seen this particular problem on our dlxe which has plywood benches.
It seems likely that the problem would be less on a wooden bench than a fibreglass bench. The thickness of the wooden bench would provide some insulation value, which would lower the temperature differential in the material and cause less condensation, maybe.

That said, I had the same event happening in our Trillium 4500 where we never had it in the Boler, even though both had very similar fibreglass rear benches. I believe that the condition which causes the condensation is a high difference in temperature inside the bench compartment vs. the trailer room. Last fall when the temperature was below freezing outside, I was working on the Trillium with the furnace going, nice and toasty inside. That is when the condensation happened on the underside of the rear cushions, but only on the closet side, which is where the furnace is. There was no issue with the rear cushions on the sink side, or the front cushions on either side.

On investigation I discovered that the Trillium has a large space in the bench, which also includes the entire space under the closet (where the furnace is), and no divider between them. This makes a great long storage space, where the previous owner had stored his awning poles. However, since it contains the exhaust pipes for the furnace, it also heats up the inside of the bench space quite a lot more than any other area. I think this is what led to the condensation.

To the contrary, on our Boler the furnace was below the sink, and the kitchen cabinet was a discrete unit with a wall between it and the rear bench on that side, with just a couple of holes through for the propane tube and the wiring running to the back. I think this barrier probably prevented condensation, as we never had any problem even running the furnace in moderately cold weather (though not as cold as it was last fall when this happened in the Trillium).

So, my theory is that an open space to the furnace would contribute to the temperature differential which creates condensation. I will be testing that theory in the next few weeks when I install a (non-flammable) barrier between the furnace and the bench seat space. I may also put in a vent or two in the closet area near the furnace to let some of that excess heat into the trailer room where it would be appreciated.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Where I live in the desert it's not moisture under the cushions, it's dust and sand.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
We decided to get a real mattress made to fit our Escape and ordered a Hypervent pad to go under it.
HyperVent Marine - Product Information
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul
Dri-Z-Air is simply calcium cloride and no need to buy the expensive (relative to weight/quanity in each bag) proprietary bags. It can be had quite inexpensively in fairly large tubs. I use it in my trailer, my printshop, my boat and in our steel shipping container (20 fter). Used to melt ice and often goes on sale about this time of the year...about the time of last snow so it depends upon the region.
Calcium chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Useful stuff, it is dissolved in water and used in tractor tires to increase weight and lower the center of gravity. Lots of industrial uses and so it can be had fairly inexpensively if one knows where to look.

Hope this helps,
David A.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I purchase it locally (Bi-Mart) but it's also available at the big box stores, this is from Amazon so you'll know what to look for: Dri-Z-Air Unit, Moisture ABSORBER, Removes Moisture from The Interiors#

I get a bag of crystals on sale for 99 cents and go through 2-3 bags a year.

I like the fact it's a passive system. Make CERTAIN you put the canister in a plastic tub... the crystals are corrosive and will pit a SS sink.
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. L. View Post
Dri-Z-Air is simply calcium cloride and no need to buy the expensive (relative to weight/quanity in each bag) proprietary bags.
Somehow, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think $3 a year is too terribly expensive for my application. Since this is the only place I use it, I don't want to create a storage problem either.... of where to put it until use. YMMV

Where would one buy Calcium Chloride in bulk? Lowes???