Mold stains on rat fur - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mold stains on rat fur

We bought a new 13' Scamp in spring 2009, and spent 5 months on the road in it later in the Fall. Just after we left a rather soggy and cold week in Austin, Tx, in December, we found a huge bloom of mold on the backs of the cushions. We immediately cleaned it off and dried out the cushions once we reached sunny climes, but this Spring, I can see black/gray spots in the rat fur where the mold had formed on the backs of the cushions. I'm quite sure this is NOT mold: it is a different colour and entirely different-looking from what was on the cushions. I think it is just a stain or discoloration from where the mold had appeared. (The cushions themselves -- which are dark brown -- are fine).
Does anyone have experience with cleaning rat fur? The trailer is so new I'd like to clear up these blemishes, but don't want to make a minor blemish into a bigger one! Any constructive and experienced comments would be most welcome! Please, no rants against rat fur required! Richard
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

mold stains on rat fur

Mold stains on rat fur
I posted this on another forum, but this might be the better choice of forums. Sorry for the crossposting.

We bought a new 13' Scamp in spring 2009, and spent 5 months on the road in it later in the Fall. Just after we left a rather soggy and cold week in Austin, Tx, in December, we found a huge bloom of mold on the backs of the cushions. We immediately cleaned it off and dried out the cushions once we reached sunny climes, but this Spring, I can see black/gray spots in the rat fur where the mold had formed on the backs of the cushions. I'm quite sure this is NOT mold: it is a different colour and entirely different-looking from what was on the cushions. I think it is just a stain or discoloration from where the mold had appeared. (The cushions themselves -- which are dark brown -- are fine).
Does anyone have experience with cleaning rat fur? The trailer is so new I'd like to clear up these blemishes, but don't want to make a minor blemish into a bigger one! Any constructive and experienced comments would be most welcome! Please, no rants against rat fur required! Richard
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I don't have a Scamp. but I thought, would a steam cleaning machine help? We bought a SteamVac SpinScrub Pet | Hoover Vacuums
for the house, and really like how it cleans.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We found we were having water forming where the cushion met the fiberglass. Lift the cushion in the morning, and the cushion and the FG were soaking wet! Who knew one puts out so much moisture while sleeping?

Any way, we sopped it up with paper towels and then ran the heater on it each morning to dry it out. Then, in a dollar store, I spotted a plastic drop cloth. It was only a dollar, why not? That was the answer! We placed that ON TOP of the cushion to prevent the moisture going into the cushion.

That, running the thermostat controlled electic heater at night, keeping a window cracked, and the ceiling vent open really solved the moisture problem.

Strangely enough, the part of the cushion touching the wood access panel didn't get wet at all.

I often think that the vinyl bottom cushions would get wet inside where it doesn't show. We do have a black imprint of the fiberglass part of our dinette seat on the bottom of our sleeping cushion.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
A few things that work well on stains for us --- Spot Shot, Goo Gone, and the cheapest option--- Windex. We haven't had stains on our new walls yet but the material is a synthetic or fiberglass base and should clean up easy. I would be concerned though if the spots are black and you had mold on the cushions. You have a water intrusion or condensation problem.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I don't have a Scamp. but I thought, would a steam cleaning machine help? We bought a SteamVac SpinScrub Pet | Hoover Vacuums
for the house, and really like how it cleans.
We have to rent a carpet cleaner soon for in the house. Maybe I'll give that a bit of a test on the Scamp's rat fur. Thanks for the idea. Richard
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We found we were having water forming where the cushion met the fiberglass. Lift the cushion in the morning, and the cushion and the FG were soaking wet! Who knew one puts out so much moisture while sleeping?

Any way, we sopped it up with paper towels and then ran the heater on it each morning to dry it out. Then, in a dollar store, I spotted a plastic drop cloth. It was only a dollar, why not? That was the answer! We placed that ON TOP of the cushion to prevent the moisture going into the cushion.

That, running the thermostat controlled electic heater at night, keeping a window cracked, and the ceiling vent open really solved the moisture problem.

Strangely enough, the part of the cushion touching the wood access panel didn't get wet at all.

I often think that the vinyl bottom cushions would get wet inside where it doesn't show. We do have a black imprint of the fiberglass part of our dinette seat on the bottom of our sleeping cushion.
Our condensation actually formed behind the cushions when the cafe table/seats were in place. Too many kettles full of water for tea boiled up in a warm Scamp with wet, cold weather outside. And because the weather outside was so lousy, we spent far more time inside the Scamp than we had planned! Condensation is (and was) inevitable, but the mold surprised us. We'll have to think about setting up a temporary vapor barrier as you did. Thanks for the idea. Are you sure your moisture wasn't condensation running DOWN your vinyl walls and onto the cushion ends where they met?
P.S. If it weren't for the live music and BBQ in Austin, I'd never go back! But I'll be there again this September,hopefully, with better weather!
Richard
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPatWork View Post
A few things that work well on stains for us --- Spot Shot, Goo Gone, and the cheapest option--- Windex. We haven't had stains on our new walls yet but the material is a synthetic or fiberglass base and should clean up easy. I would be concerned though if the spots are black and you had mold on the cushions. You have a water intrusion or condensation problem.
Thanks. I'll have to look into the composition of rat fur and then do some spot testing of the cleaners you suggest. The condensation was an inevitable consequence of way too many kettles of water boiled and heat on in a damp, cool, humid climate. Any metal trim was constantly dripping, 24/7. Once we got out of the sump hole, everything (spirits included!) improved. Now only the stains remain. Richard
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We have had great success cleaning rat fur with Simple Green, full strength or diluted to label recommendations, depending on what we are cleaning. (Spot test first.) Another product that works well on fabrics is Armor All Oxi Magic Carpet & Upholstery cleaner available in automotive stores such as NAPA.

Another idea about the stain on the rat fur is whether the glue has leached to the surface from the excessive moisture, and it is not mold. Hope you find a satisfactory solution.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I have the same problem under my front bunk. We bought dri-dek type product and put under the cushion. Still gets moisture I need to wipe up, but the moisture is under the dri-dek and not on my cushion.

KENDALL PRODUCTS Flooring at West Marine

Hope this URL works. We did not get the actual product, picked up a similar product on sale at local marine store.

Could the discoloration on the rat fur be from dye rubbing off the cushion?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote