Mold under the mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Mold under the mattress

When cleaning out the trailer after 7 weeks on the road, we discovered mold starting to form on the painted plywood under the mattress. Has anyone else had trouble with this. We use a 6 inch foam with a 1 inch memory topper. We were in Alaska, Yukon and we did have a fair bit of rain and some minus temps, and did not put the heat on much.

We are now thinking of making a slat frame for under the mattress so that there is more air circulation.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Or tip the cushions up for a couple of hours a day.

I use the original cushions. They have a vinyl back that seems to prevent condensation under the cushions. But I live in a very dry climate. That is probably why I have not had a problem with condensation.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
This works excellent to provide circulation under the mattress

HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
This works excellent to provide circulation under the mattress

HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post

Another thumbs up! This is our 3rd year using this product. Works great!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Name: Joanna
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Thanks for posting about this. That was a bit of a surprise for us too after our 3 week trip in humid, just above freezing temperatures. Now we resort to flipping and standing up cushions, not the most convenient solution. Those using Hypervent - how much space does it take? Since we use the dinette daily, and convert to a bed in the PM, we would have to find room to roll this up and store out of the way during the days correct?
babittyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for the info. I am now searching for a local supplier. It will be lighter than what we were thinking of doing. As we keep the bed down all the time, we only have the mattress, so it is harder to lift and air.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
I think I give that product a try. In the meantime to save your mattress spray it with Mold Control available at home Depot. Let the sun dry it. Try a little spot first.

We totally replaced the wood base of out seating/sleeping area and painted it with three coats of mould fighting paint.

It has worked so far and we have used the trailer in freezing weather as well as hot weather in the same season.

We also bring in the mattress at seasons end and to fight the mice we stuff every orafice with steel wool, pack everything in plastic bins with tight lids. Set traps and toss cloves everywhere.They don't like plastic.

I hate mice and I hate mold. I love my Boler.

The best of luck on the mold problem.

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I'm intrigued by the HyperVent product. Do you put it under the cushions, or on top of them but below any additional layers? For example, we have the original cushions then a 3" memory foam layer then a mattress pad. Where do you layer the HyperVent for best performance?
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Place the HyperVent at the very bottom layer, right up against the wood or fiberglass, so air can circulate under the sleep surface. If you have to change from bed to table during the day, you can cut the HyperVent into sections to stow under the seat & back cushions as you use them. Best of luck all.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Condensation

What you are experiencing is condensation. Just like the water that forms (condenses) on a glass of ice water, air will hold water until it reaches its dew point. Dew point is the temperature at which the amount of water vapor in the air turns back into water because the heat of the air can no longer contain it.

What you have with cushions, just like with house insulation, is the temperature at the surface of the cushion is ambient and the temperature at the bottom of the cushion is whatever it is touching. We had the problem with the fiberglass areas the cushions touched.

The temperature decreases from the cushion surface to the surface the cushion rests on. If this temperature gradient passes the dew point for the humidity content of the air, water will form at that point.

One way to prevent this is to place a barrier which will not allow water vapor past it. A sheet of plastic works well. Just place a sheet of plastic OVER the cushion to prevent the moisture from entering the cushion. You are being surprised by the amount of moisture the human body deposits via evaporation into its environment.

Another thing that helps is keeping some sort of ventilation in the trailer. We always have our roof vent at least cracked and one of the windows also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_barrier

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote