Moldy Cusions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Name: Marti
Trailer: Casita
California
Moldy Cusions

One window on our Casita was left open during a rain storm and got some of the cushions damp. We didn't notice it till later when there was already mold on them. Not only the covers got mold, but the foam also. Anyone have any suggestions on how to save these and get the mold stain off of them?
spiritart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Try Mold Control it it sold at Lowes in Va., Home Depot does not carry it. I use it when I find small areas of mold when working on houses. Does not have the smell and other issues as bleach. It not only kills the mold it is suppose to prevent it from returning if the area stays dry.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

California
Does it also remove the stains that the mold caused?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Preventing mold

We were getting mold from our breathing. Who knew? Now we always leave the roof vent and one window cracked, feel the cushions in the morning and prop them up with something, dishpan? to dry the next day. But this is while camping.

Another advantage we have is Trilliums have all jealousy type windows that don't admit rain. Maybe you should get one of those window covers with the vents that act like jealousy windows...

Window/Maxx | Latest

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is a good thread on the topic of cleaning the foam.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

California
Thanks, Carol. Will wait for a bit warmer weather then will probably wash them like the postings.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
All of the cushion were mouldy when I bought my boler. I used the bathtub method and grape stomped them . Important things to note. Use a phosphate free detergent. Any left over phosphate fertilizes new growth. For the same reason rinsing the cushion under the shower until they run clean is very important. Drying took many days with the indoor heat cranked and a fan as well as blotting the moisture out. Cushions were the most tedious aspect of my reno.

Hope this helps,
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritart View Post
Thanks, Carol. Will wait for a bit warmer weather then will probably wash them like the postings.
As been suggested they are hard to dry out and just putting them out in the sun may not get the center of them dry enough - you may need to use a fan and a heater for a few days to make sure they are real dry!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Or if you're me, you put them in the dryer.

Which mostly worked out okay, except for the one cushion that had a baseball size hole chewed into it. Whoopsie!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritart View Post
Caution Will Robinson, mold will continue unless you start removing the moisture that caused it NOW. Don't wait... it will just get worse. Can you do something to start removing that moisture right away rather than wait for warm weather??? The stains may need to wait...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

Name: Blake
Trailer: '79 Boler 13
British Columbia
i have found keeping the mold out living here on the wet wet coast has been a huge challenge.

i live on vancouver island.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
i have found keeping the mold out living here on the wet wet coast has been a huge challenge.

i live on vancouver island.
I'm on the wet coast too. Have you found a product that works for mold aside from bleach? If so, where did you buy it?

Also, while we're at it, what do you use to clean the gel coat on the outside? Normally we keep a tarp over the boler in the winter, but been lazy and now there are streaks all over.

Thanks
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

Registry
Was it and use 3M Restore & Wax with a micro cloth to take the streaks off - works well for me. You can buy it at Walmart or Canadian Tire in the boat section.

I'm another wet coaster
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
wife says to use clorox kitchen cleaner spray it on, let it set then turn the hose on it full force and it takes it all out then squeeze most of the water out of it , set it in the sun till dry, put machine washed cover back on. no scrubbing necessary, this comes from Florida where we breed mold
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
An ounce of prevention seems to work for me (and just which store do you buy that "prevention" stuff at? )

Every single year that we owned the Boler we took the cushions inside for the winter.

yes I know - its a little late for that now!

Take the covers off. Wash them & dry them.

If need be, get new foam and cut it to size with an electric carving knife. Otherwise, for cleaning the foam, the suggestions above are all good
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Used Clorox Mold and Mildew formula from Superstore (Canadian grocery store). Its basically is bleach..works well though..too well. Should have removed one of the cushions..it got stained and now has blotches..wife is pissed

Used another Clorox forumula for the outside shell to remove mold..works well too.
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote