Moldy smell in my casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #15

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Thanks, all. A smart guy in the park looked in my casita. We pulled up a little of the carpet under the sink. It was dry. It doesn't really have padding on it per se. Plus you can see the fiberglass coating over the subfloor and that's dry too. I think basically when I turned the fridge down to 1 while gone, with only a water bottle in it, the ice that had grown in the freezer melted and there was enough that it leaked into the area under the sink.

He checked my water heater. It isn't actually the water heater that is the problem. I thought that thing under my bed is a water heater but its my breaker box and to me it smells moldy. He said he sees styrofoam insulation there. I will take apart the bed tomorrow and really check it out but I think there was condensation around that box somehow. That's where I smell something I don't like.

We checked the fridge drain inside and outside. That was fine. There's no moisture on the flexible piping that leads to the shower that is under the cabinets. I am going to reread all today's advice tomorrow and try to follow it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #16

Georgia
Hi uplander....I have done some mods to the trailer but not changed to tiles. I meant linoleum tiles. Most important to me was the hepvo valve mod, a ceramic toilet ( I was yucked out by the plastic one as plastic is porous and just not what I wanted), and the Maxx air top cover and the window louvre. Also I steam cleaned the carpet myself. It seems okay to me tho definitely a nicer floor would be much more appealing.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

Name: wilberthinkle
Trailer: Palomino
wilberthinkle
As far as the mold, I have found that wiping the affected areas with Simple Green will arrest the problem. Use the exhaust fan to air out the cabin.
Also use a spray bottle for hard to reach areas
Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #18

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We can't leave our air vent open in our camper but we have hung up a thing called DampRid, hanging moisture absorber. We had some mild moldy musty stuff in our camper when we bought it and we cleaned it up immediately with Scrubbing Bubbles with Bleach and then we hung up the DampRid dangling in the middle of the camper on a hook. This thing seems to work very well and has already absorbed a lot of water which it catches in the bottom of the DampRid pack. Smells nice, no must, no mold, so far.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Remove the carpet from under the sink, it's not really needed there and if you do have a leak you'll be able to see it sooner for a fix.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #20

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Condensation

My throw rugs felt wet to me and in fact there was water on my floor. Turned out to be condensation on the underside of the mattress and almost everywhere there was a flat surface. Now I run a box heater and at the same time flip the fantastic fan to "out" to draw out the moisture and smell. Works like a charm for me!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #21

Georgia
Thanks, all. I'm going to take a closer look at the breaker box today which apparently has styrofoam insulation. Thanks, Dave, I guess I could remove the under sink carpet but its dry now. I did use damp rid in the bathroom. Altho actually the bathroom is fine without it.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #22

Georgia
Anyone know how I can edit my OP? Since I mistook the breaker box for the hot water heater, and so my OP is inaccurate.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #23

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Not sure about Casita trailers, but in my Scamp 13 the power distribution panel (breaker box) sits right in front of the water heater under the driver side dinette bench seat.

I am by no means an expert at any of this, but I'm thinking your moldy smell is wafting through your breaker box from other source. Such as leaking water lines/fittings, cracked water heater. Dead standing water/moisture can grow mold, so I suppose it is possible that if you do have a mold problem, it's "creeping." I would think you'd see it though.

Much good advice was given you already, I just don't think the breaker box is your mold source. Just my .02.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Old 12-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #24

Georgia
Thanks, Wendy. That's an interesting thought which is why I want to test the lines today but I've seen no condensation or dampness over there. I think it's the insulation around the breaker box. I put my nose there and smell it. But who knows!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #25

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
With regard to the carpet, I would pull it all out, and put down lino. check all your sub flooring for any signs of wet, mold, or rot before you put the lino down. You can then buy a carpet runner and lay it down over the lino in the area where you walk. Carpet runners are quite inexpensive. A runner is easily removed for cleaning, and if it gets moldy it can be chucked out and a new one installed. I would also recommend placing lino under the sink area, and sealing it well to prevent water from getting to your sub flooring.
Try placing a plastic pan under your drain traps, and any suspicious plumbing joints. If there is any small leakage it will collect in the pan, and you would be able to isolate. the problem area. If you are hooked up to city water be sure to use a pressure reducer, which will be readily available at most RV supply places. City water pressure in many areas can be quite high, and can cause leakage, as RV water systems are often designed to work on much lower pressure. One more thing I would suggest is to go to your trailer on a nasty rainy day, and checking all about inside, for any leaks. Vents, doors, and windows are chronic leak areas in any RV, and generally need to be checked, and possibly resealed on a regular basis.
One more item. I would suggest buying a dry pot, and chemicals for it. A dry pot will lower the humidity in the air, and greatly help in reducing the tendency to mold.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #26

Georgia
Thanks, Gerry. A lot of that makes good sense to me. One issue is the casita has some kind of "carpet" over the wheel wells...not the floor carpet. I don't like the floor carpet much either but have to do a little research on what type of linoleum and glue and so on. Must be nontoxic.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jen, You mentioned you had cleaned the carpets but how about the upholstery and curtains? All trailers have condensation issues and any fabric in the trailer is subject to damp and mould.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #28

Georgia
Hi Carol, yes I cleaned all the cushions as well. I have miniblinds not curtains. I am 99% certain the moldy smell is in the area of the hot water heater/breaker box, under cabinets, and I must remediate it because I'm very allergic to mold. It isn't toxic mold (I would know from my response) but it stuffs me up and makes me wheeze. I suspect it is residue of a leak that wasn't a major disaster, perhaps a pipe fitting, who knows, could have been a couple of years ago, but mold spores will stay dormant in carpet if you just dry out the carpet and don't really kill off the mold--and then they could activate again in humid conditions. I also have an issue under my sink now, which isn't moldy, but it doesn't smell fresh.

I also just purchased kanberra gel--because of all the raves about it in basements, boats, and so on. It's essentially teatree oil dispersed into a gel, that combats mold in the air--but I would use it as a gentle shock treatment after remediating, which I think will probably include replacing carpet--I am getting more interested in that idea, just get rid of the carpet.

Tags
casita