more questions (hitch, tail lights) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Burro
Illinois
I always wanted to install the tail lights from a school bus, newer school buses have those big LED lights, they look like they might be 10 inchs across. I just couldnt find them.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4059 View Post
I always wanted to install the tail lights from a school bus, newer school buses have those big LED lights, they look like they might be 10 inchs across. I just couldnt find them.
Maybe 7" across? LED Light | 7" Round Red | Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV

Lots of egg owners have changed out original round tail lights for this style. Be seen!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
A step bumper weld-fabricated from heavy gauge diamond plate is a different animal from a flexy stamped steel bumper. However, if I mistake not, both are (or perhaps were) customarily cantilevered on struts attaching to the frame rails of pickups. I believe there is potential for vertical flex and permanent deformation of a step bumper that isn't seen in receiver hitches with multiple attachment to a monocoque chassis. I'd be conservative about what I hooked on a 1-7/8" ball on the back of an S-10.

jack
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Step bumpers with a ball vary all over the place in terms of strength. Back in the day at MegaMotors, I recall a special edition of a small SUV that has a bumper "styled", but never really properly tested for strength. Customers complained when it pulled apart under load.

Personally, I'd go for a proper frame hitch every time, even if just for the height adjustment capability.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

Name: David
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe 7" across? LED Light | 7" Round Red | Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV

Lots of egg owners have changed out original round tail lights for this style. Be seen!
Yeah, those look nice, at a good price too.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
A step bumper weld-fabricated from heavy gauge diamond plate is a different animal from a flexy stamped steel bumper. However, if I mistake not, both are (or perhaps were) customarily cantilevered on struts attaching to the frame rails of pickups. I believe there is potential for vertical flex and permanent deformation of a step bumper that isn't seen in receiver hitches with multiple attachment to a monocoque chassis.
No diamond plate in my Chevy bumper.

Yes, step bumpers are cantilevered out from the frame on plates; so are receiver-type hitches. The devil is in the details...

Few trucks are monocoques, and specifically not my old Chevy or the Mazda B2500 (whih is a 1998-2000 Ford Ranger)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
7" round "bus" tail lamps may be hard to find at some automotive stores, but are routine parts at truck supply businesses. The cheapest place for them around here is Princess Auto, but commercial buyers would normally go to somewhere like Gregg Distributors (search for "bus lamps"). Other areas have their own local companies.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quite right, Brian. On every count. Pleasure listening to your incessant quibbles.

jack
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #23

Name: bill
Tennessee
Well, I went to Uhaul today and got a 2" receiver hitch installed and also bought a hitch bar with a 2" drop and A 2" ball. I'll hook it all up tomorrow and see how it looks. I've had several trucks in my lifetime and this Mazda step bumper is as sturdy as most, and definitely, sturdier than the bumper on my '89 Ford F-150 I had prior to this '98 Mazda. I'll post pics tomorrow. I am not sure of the drop dimension and want to try and get the trailer more level for towing. I might need a deeper drop. The ONLY reason I bought the hitch is to get the ball lower, NOT due to the inadequacy of the existing bumper. Uhaul is the place to go as far as I am concerned (IF you do not want to install it yourself). They were about 1/2 of the Phoenix price. I think there is a pretty good justification to NOT installing a 3000 lb plus rated bumper to a truck just rated to tow about 1400 lbs. imho.

I laso ordered some lights, more pics when they are installed.

Tags
lights