More U-Haul Questions... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
The 13' U-Haul Camper I'm going to buy is a few hundred miles away.

The seller told me that the 2" ball on his car fits perfect on it, but I could have sworn I've read that the U-Haul camper takes a 1-7/8" ball.

Can someone help me out here as to what size ball it actually takes?

Also, what are some of the things I should be looking for before I plunk my money down?

The electrical has all been checked and is said to work fine.

But I've heard that the suspension is kind of unique and there's no wheel bearings to replace?

Comments and advice would be appreciated... thanx!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:
The 13' U-Haul Camper I'm going to buy is a few hundred miles away.

The seller told me that the 2" ball on his car fits perfect on it, but I could have sworn I've read that the U-Haul camper takes a 1-7/8" ball.

Can someone help me out here as to what size ball it actually takes?

Also, what are some of the things I should be looking for before I plunk my money down?

The electrical has all been checked and is said to work fine.

But I've heard that the suspension is kind of unique and there's no wheel bearings to replace?

Comments and advice would be appreciated... thanx!
hitch, on "mine" either worked as i have the one that you can change balls on quickly but i run with the 2 in now.
one thing has the gas tank been upgraded to the new type , i ripped mine out and went all elect.
the suspension is like the early VW's in that its sprung internally, there are wheel bearings but there sealed - if you want to check them jack up the wheel and see if you can shake it or move it - if you can the berings are shot if not then your ok..
i would say it all boils down to what he/she wants for the u-haul and what you feel after looking at it is worth..
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The UHaul has a unique, reversible spoon in the tongue that will allow it to work with either a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. If you have a choice, use the 2" as they're always stronger. They also have sealed bearings. The axle is a standard-style torsion axle, but because of the frame type and symmetry the axle attaches a little differently than most trailers, but is still a standard axle type.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My standard answer is if you're not sure, be prepared for either contingency! Take both size balls and use the one you need, return the one not used to the store.

Click on this link: Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List, print out a copy and take it with you. It will be extremely helpful for reminding you about the systems that you should check. Especially have the owner point out where the VIN number is located....you'd be surprised at the number of people who purchase rolling stock and then can't find the VIN when they need it for DMV or their insurance company.

Good luck, hope everything works out perfectly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
As Roger says, the U-Haul will fit either 1-3/4" or 2" ball. If it doesn't fit your ball, just unscrew the thumbwheel until the clamping spoon drops below the edge of the tongue casting, turn it 180 degrees and crank it back up - it will fit. The U-Haul was designed to fit the needs of renters with all sorts of hitches, and to minimize maintenance for U-Haul dealers. It is remarkably strong and trouble free, and I'm sure you'll get many miles of enjoyment from it!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...They also have sealed bearings. The axle is a standard-style torsion axle, but because of the frame type and symmetry the axle attaches a little differently than most trailers, but is still a standard axle type...
I like the sealed bearing idea. They're a routine option from the axle manufacturers, but it is unusual in North America to have selected them as original equipment. As Terry suggests, the method for checking is the same regardless of bearing type.

In previous discussions in this forum, one unique feature of the axle was identified: the tongue is a straight or pole type, and extends all the way to the axle crossmember, where it attaches to a bracket. The axle is thus special in that it has this welded-on bracket. I think this is a sound design, and not an issue until you need to replace it; even then, it is manageable.

The other unique mounting feature in at least some U-Hauls is that the axle assembly appears to be "upside down", so the axle is mounted up into notches in the frame and the mounting brackets (which are usually on top of the axle and attached to the bottom of the frame) serve to bridge the notch and complete the frame. This is not unique to the U-Haul, but is unusual; I think this is a clever way to lower the floor without compromising the suspension's geometry or ground clearance. It works particularly well with C-channel frames (the round tubing you see under a U-Haul is not the main frame rails; the rails are open channel in the units which I have seen in person and in photos). I can't think of any reason why it be a problem at all to use a common rubber torsion axle inverted like this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
The UHaul has a unique, reversible spoon in the tongue that will allow it to work with either a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. If you have a choice, use the 2" as they're always stronger...
Quote:
As Roger says, the U-Haul will fit either 1-3/4" or 2" ball. If it doesn't fit your ball, just unscrew the thumbwheel until the clamping spoon drops below the edge of the tongue casting, turn it 180 degrees and crank it back up - it will fit...
I had heard about the "multi-fit" U-Haul coupler, but not seen an explanation of how it is arranged before; thanks, Roger and Jack.

Even though a 1-7/8" ball will work safely, I think a 2" ball is still a better idea - not so much for strength but for the better fit between the ball and the rest of the socket (not just the latching "spoon"). Since essentially all 1-7/8" balls have the same diameter of threaded stud, and 2" balls are readily available in the same stud size, a 2" ball should be usable with any hitch that might be used to tow the trailer (expect some very rare setup that might have a welded-on 1-7/8" ball).
Old 12-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I have used both sizes. Normally, I use a 2 in. ball.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #9

Thanx for all the replies so far... you've all been very informative and helpful.

Soooo..... here's another question I can't find the answer to after utilizing the "search" function.

I saw a really nice U-Haul camper on Ebay a month ago with some really sweet looking after-market rims. (pictured below)

I''ve heard that U-Hual used some odd sized parts on their trailers, but are the rims a "standard" 5-hole 13" rim?

According to the U-Haul camper site, the spacing is 5 x 4.75 inches.

So what rim (pictured below) is THAT???

I want it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
niceuhaul3.jpg   niceuhaul5.jpg  

nice_uhaul1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I believe U-Haul used proprietary rims with odd hole patterns to discourage theft.

My best guess is that those jazzy rims might be mounted on a replacement axle with standard bolt patterns.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I e-mailed that person asking where he had bought those rims and he never answered.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
I could easily be wrong, but to me the tires seem a bit too close to the outer body of the trailer... Maybe they put rims without enough offset onto the original U-Haul axle. If so, the rim/tire might not have enough clearance on a bumpy road. It's tough to be sure from their photos, but here's a similar shot of our U-Haul with the original rims/axle for a comparison. (I added a bit of white paper to the frame to be able to see the tire placement better.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	U_Haul014a.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	5636

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
I could easily be wrong, but to me the tires seem a bit too close to the outer body of the trailer... Maybe they put rims without enough offset onto the original U-Haul axle. If so, the rim/tire might not have enough clearance on a bumpy road. It's tough to be sure from their photos, but here's a similar shot of our U-Haul with the original rims/axle for a comparison. (I added a bit of white paper to the frame to be able to see the tire placement better.)

Attachment 5636

Jeanne

It's also VERY possible that those are 14-inch rims.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
or they could be mounted on wheel adapters, like you used to get for vw bugs, to use standard rims
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #15

Okay, thanx again for all the replies and info.

Now I just have one more (VERY IMPORTANT) question about wheel bearing replacement.

I've done enough research to find out that these U-Haul campers have a Dexter torsion axle with permanently sealed bearings. For my own peace of mind, I'd like to replace the NEV-R-LUBE bearing cartridges on each spindle.

My question is.... What size NEV-R-LUBE cartridge is used on the U-Haul campers?

I know that there's three different sized cartridges (35mm, 42mm and 50mm), and wouldn't expect it to be the largest of the three. So would it be the 35mm or the 42mm???

Does anybody know for sure??

I'd like to order them right now so I can replace them when I pick up this trailer.

Here's the site that has the NEV-R-LUBE bearing cartridges I'm referring to....

http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/Merc...ge=LCTS/CTGY/RB
Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
I''ve heard that U-Hual used some odd sized parts on their trailers, but are the rims a "standard" 5-hole 13" rim?
Just about everything you wanted to know about U-Haul wheels, and likely more, in one topic:
[b]tires n rims, 14 inch

Tags
u-haul