More Window Questions.... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Shane O's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 28
More Window Questions....

Ok, I'm in the process of restoring my '83 Burro and am dealing with the windows. At first I thought I just wanted to replace them with the original type sliders but now I'm reading more and more about the jalousie style. So all of this is pretty new to me but can someone provide me a picture of a jalousie style window?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Shane O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Sure, here is one:


Name:   rounded shutter jalousie 2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  17.2 KB
That is the "old-fashioned," square cornered type. Only available used.

Here are two, new-style, radiused-corner jalousie. You can see the open "flaps":

Click image for larger version

Name:	radiused jalousie.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	31023
Scamp has the new ones at the best price I've found (the one in the photo is not a Scamp one, but they look similar). They are radius-cornered. (They only sell two basic sizes though; but then the smaller one has a good chance of fitting the Burro opening.) The rounded corners look good, although you only get 50% of the window opening. But then you only have that with sliders too.

I love, Love LOVE jalousie windows. I leave mine open darned near all the time (except when trailering). I've never had it rain in. They rock!

Raya
__________________

__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Smile Hehr windows.

We love ours, too. We have them on all four sides. Really lets the breezes in. One of the reasons we went with Trillium. Here are the windows:

New Page 1
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane O View Post
Ok, I'm in the process of restoring my '83 Burro and am dealing with the windows. At first I thought I just wanted to replace them with the original type sliders but now I'm reading more and more about the jalousie style. So all of this is pretty new to me but can someone provide me a picture of a jalousie style window?

Thanks!

The problem with the Burro windows I just found out the hard way is when you get new Jalousie style windows, if you get one that fits the rough opening, you cannot use it because the outer flange is too wide and will not fit between the burro side window over hang and the sill. I considered taking a 1/4" off the top and bottom of the window flange but I think I would just end up ruining a good window

I now have 2 Hehr windows with a jalousie pane that are of no use for the Burro, I may use them in the Boler (as it has no overhang or sill) when I redo it or sell them on ebay.

I should have asked Hehr the overall outside diamension but was more focused on the rough opening, I did call and ask if they have a different flange, but they dont.
__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Scott,

That's too bad about the flange - darn!

Are the Hehr windows you got the ones from Scamp? (I am not sure if the Scamp windows are Hehr windows and would like to know.)

If they were not from Scamp, did you custom order them? I'm wondering if you had known about the flange, if you could have ordered them just a scoch shorter, built up the bottom or top of the trailer opening a hair, and had them work out (not that that helps you now, but for future reference).

I have thought about going with the Scamp jalousies, because I think the radiused corners look nice on a Boler - but I can't (yet) get past the 50% less opening area (the Boler does not have opening front/rear windows, so I just have the four windows on the sides and hate to give up so much open area).

That is such a bummer about the windows vs. the molded recess on the Burro
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Scott,

That's too bad about the flange - darn!

Are the Hehr windows you got the ones from Scamp? (I am not sure if the Scamp windows are Hehr windows and would like to know.)

If they were not from Scamp, did you custom order them? I'm wondering if you had known about the flange, if you could have ordered them just a scoch shorter, built up the bottom or top of the trailer opening a hair, and had them work out (not that that helps you now, but for future reference).

I have thought about going with the Scamp jalousies, because I think the radiused corners look nice on a Boler - but I can't (yet) get past the 50% less opening area (the Boler does not have opening front/rear windows, so I just have the four windows on the sides and hate to give up so much open area).

That is such a bummer about the windows vs. the molded recess on the Burro
Raya,

I went direct to Hehr for the Burro windows for just this reason wanted to be sure I had a custom one that fitted (hows that workin out for ya?) Mine is different from the one you showed of Brady boler as mine are half jalousy ie: the bottom half of the window cranks out there are no side panes.

I have Hehr looking into if they make the window a inch shorter then the flange would fit the space. They are worried that the rough opening may be too big, but I could build it up with fiberglass if needed but I dont think it would be needed looking at these.

I really want those windows LOL!!! for now I will probably have to put the originals back in with tempered glass.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  
__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Shane O's Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro
Posts: 28
When I called Hehr they pointed me to their distributor (I guess), a place called Parkin and Accessories. Is this what they normally do? Either way they sure seemed expenisve, maybe that is just what the windows run, at $325 a piece for 24x20 half sliders.

Also, Scott, what are the cut out dimensions of your side windows?
__________________
Shane O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane O View Post
When I called Hehr they pointed me to their distributor (I guess), a place called Parkin and Accessories. Is this what they normally do? Either way they sure seemed expenisve, maybe that is just what the windows run, at $325 a piece for 24x20 half sliders.

Also, Scott, what are the cut out dimensions of your side windows?

Hehr, does try to push you to Parkin and accessories, 3 weeks dealing with those clowns made me go back to Hehr and complain they then took my order and indicated they will take the orders no problem, but that some people at Hehr do not like to take the orders and push Parkin go figure.

My rough opening is 24" width by 19-1/2" height.

If you want to go back sliders I would recommend just putting in tempered, tinted glass in your present frames. Cheaper any glass company will do it.
__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Scott,

I just posted some Scamp window info in the other thread (Jay's). I see you have answered some of my questions here; and I've answered some of yours there.

I believe the Scamp windows would fit in your Burro, with perhaps a little bit of glass build up.

(Your measurements fit with what I found on my ex-U-haul, and I had been thinking of putting the Scamp windows in that, before I sold it. I had figured I might need to add a little bit of glass to make up the height, but was not sure since I had not removed the sliders yet.)

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Scott,

I just posted some Scamp window info in the other thread (Jay's). I see you have answered some of my questions here; and I've answered some of yours there.

I believe the Scamp windows would fit in your Burro, with perhaps a little bit of glass build up.

(Your measurements fit with what I found on my ex-U-haul, and I had been thinking of putting the Scamp windows in that, before I sold it. I had figured I might need to add a little bit of glass to make up the height, but was not sure since I had not removed the sliders yet.)

Raya
Thanks Raya,

Shane,

please see the other thread 13' Scamp Jalousie Windows
__________________

__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window Gasket, Window Seal, Window Molding D Shubel Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 05-16-2011 05:30 PM
74 boler - window and window seal Hans N. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 12-08-2009 09:11 PM
Old side window & door window needed sherry loving o Classified Archives 0 06-12-2008 04:15 PM
Installing new window seal or gasket on front window Sue A. Smith Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 07-30-2007 08:21 AM
Replacement windows, questions, questions. CliveAlive Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 07-13-2006 08:32 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.