mosquitos 17 foot bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #1

Name: david
Trailer: 93 bigfoot 17ft trailer
Alaska
mosquitos 17 foot bigfoot

I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with mosquitos getting
into a 17 ft bigfoot. the only place I can think it would possibly be is the furnace intake everything else is sealed .went camping
and they drove us crazy all night this is the second time this has
happened
david daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2004 17ft CB 1500 Bigfoot
British Columbia
mosquitos 17 foot bigfoot

Hello David, You could try taping a piece of screen on the inside of the furnace vented cover to see if that stops the bugs. Do not believe it would interfere with the air flow. Haven't had that issue in my Bf17 but it is still a little early up here on Vancouver Island. Good luck! Cheers, trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by david daniel View Post
into a 17 ft bigfoot. the only place I can think it would possibly be is the furnace intake everything else is sealed .went camping
happened
avid were here in Fairbanks and the only mosquitos we encountered were back about 36 miles from Delta Junction and oh they wanted to eat us alive, like they were going after every thing on the windscreen and hood of the Toad all this happening while were trying to jump a dead battery ended up at Peter Built Diesel, looks like last winter in the Lower areas of BC when it got cold the batteries all froze and the problems did not arrive until we hit Dawson and the Top of the World Hwy, I also think the Calcium on the hwy when it got wet in Dawson Creek did not help either.
But good luck with the bugs, they certainly are persistent. I Spray 3-4 minutes before bed then we all get eaten alive while that is happening then we go back inside and swat them for a bit then finally fall asleep to that terrible Whine!
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
These things are really handy. Skeeters don't move very fast...

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...mpaign=8175035

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check your Stove Vent!

Quote:
into a 17 ft bigfoot.

I had a terrible encounter down in a campground on Texas/Louisianna border, right on the gulf that when it started to get dark, we were attacked inside by over 100 mosquitos!

I figured out, too late, but taped it up that I had the fantastic fan on, a few windows open, but with screens, that they were coming through the stove vent! When your running the fan, the air sucks in via that vent, with no flap or screen to stop them!

We ended up duck-taping the filter above the burners until we could move on. Never had a problem again, but wow.
DannyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Interesting on the stove vent. I’ve has this problem twice. Only certain places. Certain mosquitoes must be smarter! What I notice is that there’s a gap between the window glass and the screen frame, show in the photo. The gap is always there. If the bugs get between the glass and screen, they can get in. Only way to keep them out is to keep them from getting between there...which means keeping the windows closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0C847188-DBA9-45C9-9345-7226B686569A.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	121498

Pretty lame on a night like last night when it was still 70 degrees at bed time. I saw them on the screens hanging out, but just after sundown they started coming in. I killed a dozen before bed. The last time it happened I was up once an hour all night chasing them so this time I decided I’d close the windows. No more bugs! This is a very small sample size but that’s my experience. Windows open, bugs all night. Windows closed, no bugs.

I’ll have to check the vent. They’d still need to get through the grease filter up there, plus I keep my vent closed. Worth making sure though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A little blue painters tape will fix that Zack.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

Montana
Do you mean on the screen frame to build it up so it’s thick enough to seal?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Do you mean on the screen frame to build it up so it’s thick enough to seal?
No, just over the gap you have from the screen frame to window edge where your finger is. I meant it as a temporary night time fix, not permanent.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
happened
The furnace intake and exhaust go into the fire box only. No access to inside of the trailer.

ALSO -- putting window screen over the two ports will limit the air flow and possibly cause the fire box to over heat and melt a hole. Then you get the non-odder CO, which is deadly.

Be Safe

I have found that opening and closing the door lets more bugs in than any other possible access point.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
No, just over the gap you have from the screen frame to window edge where your finger is. I meant it as a temporary night time fix, not permanent.
Gotcha! Just a way to have open windows at night? Good idea.

Tags
bigfoot